Hurts to laugh - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hurts to laugh Hurts to laugh

Unread 03-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Hurts to laugh

After 2 c-sections and now a hysterectomy it hurts like mad when I sneeze, cough, laugh, etc. I learned after the first c-section to keep a pillow or something to hold against my stomach when I need to cough, etc. Hold it against you as tight as you can. It does help alot!
Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2004, 06:42 AM
Thanks for your support

Oh my goodness. I am just overwhelmed at all of the responses I received about my pain problem. Thank you all so much. I just love this site!!! It is really encouraging to know the pain will go away. As a matter of fact, that is the same thing my doc said. I just have to give it time. Thanks for the advice about the pillow. I use it all the time, but it does help more to be bending with the pillow when I laugh. I will be sure to keep that in mind. God bless you all. Please take care and continue to pray for me.
Unread 03-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Hurts to laugh

I'm almost 9 wks. post-op, and there's still some discomfort when sneezing, coughing, or laughing. I've been wearing a pantygirdle for support for about a month, and it does help. But whenever I feel a sneeze coming on, I grab my abdomen where my uterus used to be for extra support.

About 2 wks. after surgery, I made the mistake of trying to watch "Nutty Professor II: The Klumpps." That old lady just knocks me out! I enjoyed the DVD, then was sore the next day. It doesn't pay to be too happy those first few weeks! LOL (because I can now w/out too much pain!) It'll get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Hurts to laugh

I have had the same problem since Day One and of course, now its allergy season, so I sneeze and cough alot. My husband laughs because I "assume the positon" before a sneeze. I curl up into a ball and put my hand over my stomach. Also, about a week post op a friend of mine called and he made me laugh so hard I had to take a Percocet afterwards.

I'm 3 weeks post op and I still feel it when I sneeze, cough or laugh. And I had a TVH, so no incision. I think its a good reminder that things are still far from healed inside.
Unread 03-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Hurts to laugh

I'm 6 weeks post op and I was so grateful that for the first two weeks following my surgery I managed not to sneeze. It was an unexpected cough that made me curl up into a ball, I'm still "assuming the position" when I cough or sneeze. I go back to work on Tuesday (factory job), I'm wondering how it's going to go. I usually do a lot of bending and lifting and the doctor said that I have no restrictions, so we'll see how it goes.

Take care!!
Unread 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Hurts to laugh

I had the same problem as you all mentioned it hurt to blow nose,sneeze and cough. I remember the first sneeze I was in kitchen and had no pillow could not feel it coming until too late. And man it hurt clear down my pelvic floor. Yikes it felt like I had pulled something. I kept praying no more sneezes please. I am three weeks post op today and sometime during this week I have sneezed several times and it has not hurt...blowing nose is ok too. But the coughing and laughing are not totally there. I have dental work I need to schedule for impressions and im scared of gaging so I won't go yet. Plus my stamina is gone.
the pillows helped...I had to use them a lot i had congestion in hosp and they wanted us to do deep coughing. The hands work well too. I have learned to laugh without using belly...a combo of chuckle and throat....lol
hope this helps
teresa
Unread 12-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Relief DOES come!

Thank you all for your support during my pre-op and early post-op days. I really appreciate all of the helpful responses i received to my questions. I want to apologize for slacking off and not keeping in touch. It seems like once I started back to work and school full time, I ran out of time for everything else. I will try not to be the type of person who only stops by when I need something. Don't you hate it when that happens? LOL
You all were right, it DOES get better, and the pain DOES go away. How could I have ever doubted you. I tell you, there is nothing like experience. Thanks again for all of the great support and advice. Thanks to you I'm a SURVIVOR!!!
Unread 12-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Hurts to laugh

Glad to hear that things are going well with you, but it does sound like you are busy!
Now that you are a survivor, you might want to stop in here and the preop board to help calm the minds of others
Good luck to you and I hope you have a happy holiday!
Unread 12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Hurts to laugh

hi denease:
I know what you mean about being busy lately. I knowwe survived and it does get better. I hope you come here and lend supportin pre op and post op. I try to do it as often as I can but I am now working in school myself. I just started school mid nov. That was funny to read that post from way back in march. What a long way I have come since then! I still have my issues somewhat physically but it is not hte same.
this site really provided support.
glad your doing good!
good tohear from someone around the same stage as I am.
teresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register