Hyperplasia - Megace or Surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyperplasia - Megace or Surgery Hyperplasia - Megace or Surgery

Unread 03-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Hyperplasia - Megace or Surgery

First, I want to wish Joyce luck with her follow-up. Hopefully, the hormone therapy is working.

ChanceHope, when the gyn first called me with the dx of complex hyperplasia & atypia, she gave me two options: have a d&c or go directly to gyn/onc. She thought the best approach was to go directly to oncologist, because with the atypical cells present, she had a feeling that after the d&c, the diagnosis would be the same & I'd be making appt. with the onc.

She did a TVS (the one where water is added to uterus) in December, which showed a mass - which we assumed at the time was a polyp. This was before the biopsy results. The Onc. was going to do another ultrasound with the water in May - don't know why, since already had this done.

Will let you know of my decision. To keep grounded, I tell myself "your little animals have been snorfleed & they seem to be fine." <grin>

One last note: the surgery will have to be approved by insurance and my short-term disability program...in some ways that's two more opinions : -)

Enjoy your day.

Carole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 08:04 PM

I'm Pam, I'm 29. Got diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with minimal atypia in January 2004 during a D&C and exploratory laparoscopy for fertility. Plan is Megace for 6 months. I have a biopsy in April, then a D&C in July, and hopefully the all-clear-to-go-back-to-the-fertility-doctor then.

Since I've yet to have a child, and no where near menopause, I plan on getting pregnant and in between pregnancies, take maybe some Prometrium during the second half of my cycle for the rest of my life. I understand biopsies will be necessary frequently, but I'm just not ready to lose my uterus yet, nor do I think I ever will be ready till I'm done with it. (Menopause) LOL!

Anyhow, I understand women who have not had children have different things going on in their decisions than those who have already had children. Just go with your heart!

Pam
Unread 03-26-2004, 08:56 PM

Hi
this is my first day posting here. I have been having abnormal bleedings since two years. My treating family practitioners kept telling me that this is normal. Finally, I elbowed myself to a Gyn because I knew from day one that this is not normal. I was 32 when this mess began, now I am 34. My Gyn tried a biopsy during the exam which did not work, now I have a D&C scheduled for April. Hormonal tests and blood count with ESR came back normal. I just had an ultrasound showing and edometrial thickness of 12 mm. The day this was measured was my first day of my cycle with only spotting. I wonder what are the normal measurements. I keep reading 5 mm as the cut off, but I believe that applies to post menopause, and only gives a good idea that nothing is wrong when the measurement stays below that. Because of my abnormal bleedings ( perlonged spotting before and after period) my Gyn suspects hyperplasia. I am scarred out of my mind because this is going on for so long. At least my Erythrocyte Sediment Rate is really low. I am glad to have found women with similar concerns.
Tinka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Welcome

You've come to the right place. I have been through numerous sites and support groups, and this is the best thus far for endometrial hyperplasia and cancer issues.

Hope your D & C goes well...
Unread 03-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Hi,

When I read your post it sent up a red flag, so I felt compelled to write in my two cents. You said you had bleeding, a thickened uterus, and what might be a polyp. These were my symptoms, with a normal biopsy and PAP, D&C. My little Polyp or fibroid turned out to be the root of all evil. A rare tumor lurking in the wall of the uterus. I opted for the Hysterectomy and it saved my life. I don't want to alarm you, but bleeding after menopause, a thickened uterus are not normal either. I would go with your gut on this one, and trust your GYN. I did and I thank God every day.
Best of luck to you during your tough decision making.
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:31 PM

Thanks to all of you for your insight. My surgery is scheduled for April 15 ('hope my surgeon has done his taxes by then : -)

I have made lists of what to take to the castle, what to have at home for recovery, etc & all possible because of this list.

I am so lucky to have found this web site.

Carole
Unread 03-30-2004, 02:40 PM

Dear Carole,

I'm glad you have made your choice.
Surgeon/taxes.. lol..

If I don't see you post under Cancer Concerns, I will check for you on Post-Op.

Good Luck and Best Wishes..

Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register