starting 5 weeks radiation today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

starting 5 weeks radiation today starting 5 weeks radiation today

Unread 03-24-2004, 06:26 AM
starting 5 weeks radiation today

Not nervous exactly, but sorta hesitant about starting something I know will make me (a little) ill in a week or so.

But 5 weeks isn't too terribly long, is it? The doc's keep saying that once this part is over, I'm done and I get my life back (such as it was).

I'm also 4 weeks post-op today, so I'm not out biking or skiing just yet anyway. Not that I ever did those things before, but still...

Have a good one!

Paige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2004, 07:39 AM

Good luck, Paige:

In 1999, I went through five weeks of external plus two days internal radiation for endometrial cancer. I did not have any side effects at all until at least the third week when I started getting diarrhea and feeling tired. I was told to take Imodium which worked quite well in keeping things under control. In the evenings, I would have dinner and then go to bed early.

I used to go for my daily radiation treatment before work and then headed right to work from the hospital. The only time I missed work was when I had to go in for the internal radiation. It sounds like you're only getting external, so you should do just fine! The five weeks will be over before you know it!!

Best of luck to you.

MoeKay
Unread 03-24-2004, 08:28 AM
good luck!

Hi Paige,
Good luck to you with your radiation! I'm right behind you with that, starting 6 wks of chemo & radiation April 1st.

It's crappy sometimes isn't it? But MoeKay is right that it will pass quickly....

As for the possible diarrhea....my Cancer Clinic has prescribed the following for preventing & combatting diarrhea....I haven't seen it anywhere before on this web-site so I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing or what?!

Anyways, at the start of the second week of radiation, they've told me to start taking metamucil (yes, metamucil!) every morning. BUT not mixed like regular metamucil.....much thicker, more like porridge. They told me it works really, really effectively as long as it's taken every day the same way throughout treatment. Perhaps ask your rad/tech about it before you try it out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2004, 11:42 AM

Paige,
I did 5 weeks, 25 treatments, and it is doable. Symptoms won't start until the third week, around the 12th treatment. Diarrhea is control with Immodium and Lotmotil. A bit later I had bladder irritation that had me running to the bathroom every 90 minutes or so. That made sleep more difficult. Reminded me of having a newborn. But that passed pretty quickly, within a week or so. I had NO skin problems, not a thing. I did everything that I always do, walked, went out to dinner, went to meetings, did stuff with my kids, etc.

Get a calendar and mark off the days. I always knew exactly how many treatments were behind me and how many more I had left. I celebrated every little milestone, like when I hit the teens, single digits, etc. One of my friends said 'treat everyday like Mother's Day or your birthday'. That was wonderful advice! I made it known to my family to expect little from me for those 5 or 6 weeks that I was in treatment. We ate LOTS of carryout and went out to dinner often. My son and husband did the laundry. When I felt like just sitting on the sofa and watching television, that's exactly what I did. My sons and husband kept my ice water glass filled. I found that men want to help, they just don't know how. If you can give them specific things to do for you, they like it, and it helps you as well. Your family wants to be useful and helpful, so just tell them what would be useful and helpful to you.

You will get so sick of the hospital. I now HATE the site of the place, even the parking lot. You will probably get that way too, but once you are done, YOU ARE DONE.

Hang in there, ask questions here, and of the nurses and other patients. Other patients are the best source of information.

You have all of this behind you in time for summer and shorts!

Let us know how you are doing.
Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-24-2004, 06:38 PM

Good luck with your therapy, Paige. I, too, had 5 weeks of radiation, perhaps a few days more than that... maybe 28 cessions in total with 3 sessions of internal radiation after that.

It's no cake-walk, but it is doable. I did my radiation at the same time that I was getting chemotherapy. That was a trip! But, hey, I survived. I finished the daily radiation in late July. I finished up with the weekly HDR internal in mid-late August. It's taken time, but I'm in great shape now.

I did have some residual bowel problems for a while but things are pretty good these days.

My advice: The moment any side effect starts to rear their ugly head...speak to your doctor! Do NOT suffer in silence! There are lots of possible side effects with radiation but there's also a lot of treatments that will help you get through this in relative comfort.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. God bless,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register