I need some hugs and support... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need some hugs and support... I need some hugs and support...

Unread 03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
I need some hugs and support...

((((Rita))))) Since my experience with surgery and hospitals is minimal, compared to that of many of our members , I can't offer much insight on dealing with the hospital staff. However, I did want to send a few extra s your way and wish you the best of luck.

I agree with ((((Audrey))) that, in case such as yours, surgical menopause may actually improve depressive tendencies. All I know is that you're going into with both eyes opened, armed with lots of information... and accompanies with tons of s.... that has to put all the odds in your hands.

I know what you mean about not being able to speak up when it really counts: I'm the same. That's why I write everything down and bring my notes with me to the doctor. Especially when done in colorful, bright charts, my doctors have been impressed and have found them informative. And it means that I don't forget to mention something important, which is something I also have a tendency to do (adult ADD here too ((((Audrey))) ). That might be an option for you: write all down and give it to your doctor, either through their e-mail system or just by printing it out and giving him/her a copy.

Where the pain management issue is concerned, I was going to suggest the same thing Audrey mentionned: epidural. I know that some women have had a lot of success with this method, both in avoiding the unpleasant side effects of the general and in maintaining control on post-op pain.

And, as ((((Dorrie))))), mentionned, and especially considering your experience after the hyst, make sure that someone is there to help you stand up for yourself, especially during that initial post-op stage, where we're not exactly... ... coherant.

Take care and hang in there, dear ((((Rita))))). Hopefully, this will be your ticket off this road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Thank you Ladies...

(((Audrey))) I've missed you hun! Thank you for replying.
Don't worry about forgetting anything...I fully understand how crazy life gets, especially with other issues to complicate things, and I forget things myself. I know you are a very kind and supportive friend...so I would never think less of you if you were busy and forgot something. It happens to me too, especially under stress. If it were an urgent matter I would have PM'd you or something. Don't worry about it my friend.

I put in a call to my doctor (after reading your response) about speaking to the anesthesiologist. At first the lady on the phone said I'd speak with him the day of surgery, but I told her I had to speak with him ahead of time...and explained the pain issue. It was a HUGE step for me because I never make these kinds of phone calls. I'm scared the doctor will just think I'm too demanding or something, but I'm too terrified of the pain this time and I need help. I won't enter into surgery unless this issue is dealt with.

Does an epidural mean I'll be AWAKE during surgery? Yikes!

Thank you also for the info about HRT's. I know I'm way too estrogen-dominate again...I knew the endo was returning because I was breaking otu again on my face and none of my acne meds would ease it any. and, LOL, I doubt my adult ADD will ever go away. That's just *me*

I have two good surgeons for this time around. I'm limited on who I can reguest because of HMO restrictions, but I do have people who were highly recommended, and one of them is very kind, so that helps ease my anxiety a bit.

(((Dorrie)))
Thank you for prniting out that list of things for me to consider for pain management. I printed it out to keep with me and refer to when I need it.
What is PRN hun? For the life of me I can't figure out what that acronym is...but I assume you're suggesting I have ongoing pain management (like in the pump) instead of some other way. Did I understand you correctly?

(((Jody)))
Oh sweeite...I can't imagine how you felt without the pain pump working! (((((((Jody))))))) I will be SURE to tell my DH to make sure the pump is working. I swore last time it wasn't...until I hit it once last time and then fell asleep. lol. It just felt like nothing was easing the pain and I'm not sure what exhausted me more, the surgery, the meds, or crying from the pain.

(((Dany)))
  Quote:
All I know is that you're going into with both eyes opened, armed with lots of information... and accompanies with tons of s.... that has to put all the odds in your hands.
Wow...those words put my heart at ease! Thank you hun. It's so easy to forget that this site is only a click away, which means I have supportive sisters closer than I realize! Thank you hun!
I will do what you suggest. I will write down my concerns to ask the doctor. Lol...When I brought them with me yesterday I was so upset I had wrung them with my hands and made them look horrible...then I was so upset about that I didn't give them to him! This time I'll ask my DH to hold them and give them to the doctor!

I'm glad I've got some time before this surgery...I need time to get myself sane again!

Rita
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:44 PM

--you can have an epidural and still be asleep during surgery. It can be used soley for pain management

--prn are the initials for a latin phrase which means as needed. You've gotta ask for the medicine to get it, which often means in the early days after surgery you are groggy and then in severe pain by the time you can get around to finding that call button.

--YES - I was suggesting something like the pump, a continuous drip, or an epidural as a way of providing a baseline of continuous pain control.

Hope your doc appointment goes well

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:47 PM
(((Dorrie)))

Thank you sweetie!

My gosh...you are like a guardian angel or something...you've helped me so much the past couple of days!

Whew! I assumed the epidural meant I would be awake...and I was willing to deal with that for better pain management...but I'm soooooo relieved to read that I can still be asleep! thank you hun!

Now I can ask for the epidural with confidence (and not fear of being awake! lol)

Rita
Unread 03-25-2004, 03:00 PM

Always remember we are here for support!!! I could not live without being able to come to this website and all the wonderful women here!!!!!!!!

When is this one scheduled for? I know this is easier said than done but just try to relax if you can, it will all work out and it appears that you have a bunch of good people on your side who are looking out for your welfare and you are lucky that you have a seemingly wonderful dh who is there to look out for you.

Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine. We are here for you and are : for you that this will be the end of the long road for you!!!!!

And yes it was horrible with the drip not working and to think and remember they made me lift myself off of the gurney onto the bed, I still don't know how I managed to do it!!!

jody
Unread 03-25-2004, 03:55 PM

Dear ((Rita))

I had spinal anesthesia for my TAH (slightly different than epidural but a similiar idea). It is not something I would do again.... I am not trying to discourage you but just make you aware of what can happen... Spinals are different than epidurals... the needles go into different spaces in the spinal column as I understand it.

I was sedated with the spinal so I did not feel or remember anything. At the end of the surgery the anesthesiologist injected a dose of spinal morphine which is supposed to give excellent pain relief for 24 hours... that is why I opted for the spinal (the anesthesiologist is my neighbor). Anyway, it didn't work for pain relief... We do not know why except that perhaps the morphine leaked out as I later ended up with a terrible spinal headache because the hole in my Dura from the spinal didn't heal up as it should have... that is the only thing we could figure out might have occurred to cause it not to work very well. I was in such horrendous pain after my TAH it was a nightmare. I had two c-sections before this and had great pain control afterwards... this was like I had NOTHING for the pain. The other downside was that they would give me little else for 24 hours because of the spinal morphine I had already had...

I also ended up with a terrible spinal headache that required an epidural blood patch a weeks later to resolve. I was so sick from that... like I said... It would be difficult to talk me into spinal anesthesia again.

I have not had an epidural for pain relief but was offered this at the Mayo because I told the Anesthesiologist about the horrible pain I had after my TAH (before the anesthesiologist realized I was day surgery). She said it works very well for pain control after surgery. I did try an epidural for my last c-section but all it did was numb my feet so they had to put me under....mmmm.... maybe there is something weird with my spinal anatomy....

I wish I had been completely aware of what could happen with the spinal... especially the headache complication because I would have been able to insist on that being checked earlier than it ended up being checked and treated.

Please let us know how your talk with the anesthesiologist goes... also, if you decide to have the epidural, make sure to ask what the protocol is if it does not provide sufficient pain relief...ie. can they give you something else on top of it?

Dear ((Rita)), I am thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome possible.

Sarah
Unread 03-25-2004, 04:40 PM

((((Rita))))) One thing I've learned, over the years, is to give that report to the doctor first thing. That way, I avoid forgetting to give it in or having it ripped to pieces (I've done that too).

I'm so happy that you called and arranged to meet with the anesthesiologist (or whatever their title is ) before the day of the surgery. What a great step to put your worries at ease.
Unread 03-25-2004, 07:34 PM

A spinal is very different from an epidural - one thing being that with a spinal, only a single dose of medication can be given, whereas an epidural can drip and over time the dose and specific medication can change.

For labor and c-sec, a combination of a narcotic and a numbing agent (something like novacaine, b ut not!) are given. For post-op, the variations are endless. which is why it is important to describe your past experience and fears to your anesthesiologist AND surgeon, in detail.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register