Ovarian cancer, what now? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cancer, what now? Ovarian cancer, what now?

Unread 03-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Ovarian cancer, what now?

I would recommend a second opinion with a gyn/oncologist, too, just as someone else suggested. She was also right on about the CA125--it is much more accurate as a post diagnosis tool in terms of reoccurence and is only one very small, potentially inaccurate, part of the picture prediagnosis.

I was just reading in a book last night that many doctors have scared patients half to death by feeling what they called "tumors" and taking their CA125 routinely, then telling them they have to had immediate surgery, scared them about the prospects of cancer, and the CA125 had been misleading. The patients went on for a second opinion and they had fibroids, not cancer.

I do think you should pursue this seriously, but definitely get a second opinion with another gyn surgeon or a gyn/oncologist. Are you planning to do that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 11:43 AM

Since I don't have a uterus any more from cervical cancer treatment, I don't think it is fibroid tumors. They think it is cancer because the tumors are so dense. I kind of gave up on the second opinion thinking they would tell me the exact same thing. The tumors are large and pressing on the wrong place so I don't know what the option would be rather then reomve them. So the CA 125 doesn't really mean anything pre-diagnosis. That was my last little ray of hope.
Unread 03-27-2004, 01:06 PM

Hi Claudia,

My CA125 is also normal (11.3) I'm 41, but my onc still wants me to have the chemo since it's "protocol" for OC stage 2 after surgery. I've been refusing -want to be really sure there's more cancer before I start poisoning myself with chemo but no one can give me an answer. I'm seeing onc on Monday for PET scan results (that are also unclear). But I would have the surgery, these tumours have to come out, make sure an onc/surgeon is doing the surgery (or present) and they'll tell you right after surgery if indeed it was cancer (stage,grade,blah,blah). I'm sick of hearing the "cancer" word too. I went to the gym today and cried on my drive back home because I'm feeling so much better and if I had to do chemo I know I wouldn't be able to be as strong as all these other women. I would surely get ALL the side effects and would go back to square one. I sometimes wish this disease would never have been disgnosed -I should have kept the pain in my back and died peacefully....Sorry to sound so cynical but that is what my life has become whenever I think of cancer. When I just go about my "normal" life it's all so much better. To top it off I got a call from my cousin in Pennsylvannia who was also diagnosed last week with esophagul cancer -he had surgery last Wed and has to start chemo in 4 weeks. This word keeps coming back to haunt me. But please have the surgery. I'm praying for good news...do you know when it will be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 05:04 PM
praying for all of you

God works miracles. I was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor four years ago, which was pressing on my optic nerve. After four years or MRI's and traveling two hours to the hospital, I was told that we don't think you ever had a tumor but something congenital. Dont come back unless you have any symptoms.

The Lord answers prayers and he will see us through everything. Don't be discouraged. I'll be praying for all of you. Just know that "we" are all here for you and completely support you.

Hang it there!

Unread 03-28-2004, 01:40 PM
PET scan

What is a pet scan? Sorry so many abreviations and I don't know them all.
Going for surgery on Wednesday the 31 of March. Doctor does not think I have cancer but says he reserves the right to change his mind. Got to cover all the bases.

Barb
Unread 03-28-2004, 06:45 PM

Dear Lisa,

I recently spoke w/my 2nd cousin's wife who just got news of complete remission from an inoperable ovarian cancer tumor using taxotere, a drug that became available in 1999.
To be honest, I was very happily surprised.

Good Luck to you.
Pat
Unread 03-29-2004, 11:32 AM

Maxime -- I sent you a PM.

Lisa,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I am 38 and went through something similar last year. "Hi, we know you've been healthy all your life, but you have a tumor and we're pretty sure it's cancer. Surgery is in one week. You won't be able to have kids." It was a lot to deal with.

In terms of staging, as you've already figured out, there's not much that can be determined until they get inside to see what's going on. The only reason I was able to determine my stage prior to surgery was because I had ascites, which is fluid that accumulates in Stage 3C. So I diagnosed myself before they even did surgery, and I was right.

I wish I could send you some sort of comfort, but until you have the surgery, you just won't know what's going on. Sounds like a gyn onc will be doing your surgery, so that is good news. They are really the experts. Whatever they find -- whether benign or cancerous -- you will get through this. Many of us here have gone through the shock of diagnosis, and then major surgery, and then chemo. But . . . a year later, I'm here and alive and happy every day to take a breath in the morning. Plus, people seem to like my new short hairdo. :-)

Please keep us posted. s!
Unread 03-29-2004, 02:55 PM

Just want you to know that I am praying for you. Keep your mind on Jesus and reading healing verses in the Bible. After reading them believe them. I know God will be with you and take care of you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Isha
Unread 03-30-2004, 08:45 AM

Dear Lisa,

I have ovarian cancer which was diagnosed in Sept. Not having the surgery was NEVER an option for me. I had many thoughts go through my mind for about 5 min and then said " OK this is the card I was dealt now I have to deal with it." I just had my 7th chemo session. I was scared of having chemo also. To be honest with you I feel better now than I have in many years. I had very few negative reactions to the chemo thanks to the wonderful pre chemo druga they give you. Instant menopause has been nothing. A hot flash now and then is all. I know this is so scary right now but you will get through this. If you ever need to talk come here and ask anything you want. Good luck.

Bertha
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:26 AM

Hi Lisa,

I had huge masses too. I actually had a colonoscopy done about a week before I went to the ER. It came back negative so they kept thinking it was irritable bowel syndrome. I had an ultrasound in August and it showed ovarian cysts but that was it. I can't believe the tumors could have grown that fast! Believe it or not, when I went to the ER, they were going to send me home and my husband said that he would bring me right back. They did a Cat Scan, and the ER physician still thought it might be cysts, but he called a ob-gyn, mine was on vacation, and she diagnosed it as ovarian cancer possibly stage 4. I had the ascites too. My stomach was bloated. It's so hard to say try not to worry too much but no matter how much you worry the reality will be what it will be. I didn't have time because for some strange reason I was out of it about an hour after they took me to the ER. Don't remember a thing until I woke up from the surgery. I went in on Saturday, and had my surgery the next Friday. I don't remember any of that time. People said I had my eyes open and had conversations with them and I swear, I don't remember it. It may have been the morphine and phentanyl, I don't know. Maybe Ijust went somewhere else because that was the only way I could survive. I was so very weak. But I made it through the surgery and 2 chemo rounds already. I won't tell you it's been easy, but if I can do it, I think anyone can. I'm very weak and scared.

My prayers are that it turns out to just be cysts or maybe something like endometriosis.

My prayers are with you Lisa

Janey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register