Question about mamogram... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about mamogram... Question about mamogram...

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Question about mamogram...

Okay, I had my first mamo last Thursday and today I got a certified letter in the mail saying they need to schedule additional tests due to possible abnormalities found.

Is it 'normal' to have an 'abnormal' mamo the first time out? I seriously don't need one more thing to freak out about now (the upcoming surgery is enough to deal with!) so I'm going to post this here and wait for my sisters to let me know how I should feel about this. I simply can't fret about it right now or I'll lose my mind. Should I be worried about this or is it 'normal' to be called back from the first mamo. (BTW, as (((Linda))) informed me, they should have told me not to wear deodorant that day, and because they didn't tell me that, I did wear it...so could that be the cause of this problem now?)

Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:57 PM

Rita,

s

Luckily, I have avoided the mammogram thing so far. It will be time in a couple of years for my baseline.

This certified letter sounds a bit impersonal. If it were me, I'd be on the phone to my doc's nurse asking what it meant and why they did not call me to let me know this was coming? The lab should have infomed your doctor who should have informed you .. in my opinion.

Maybe its notthing to worry about and that's why no one called. It could in fact be "routine". Please feel free to call your doc and get his/her take on it and let us know. You should not have to worry about this.
Unread 03-25-2004, 03:32 PM

Wow, (((Rita))) I'm sorry this happened to you. Like you need one more thing to worry about? I agree with (((Michelle))) that your DR should have called you. When you registered for the mammogram, do you remember which DR's name you put down as the referring physician? That DR should have received a copy of the report immediately, before that letter was sent to you.

When I had mine recently, my DR called me a day or two before I got the letter, so when the letter arrived it was no big deal. That's the way it should have worked for you, too.

Try to focus on the fact that many, many women are called back after their mammogram (the radiologist who did mine told me something like 15% are called back -- that's a lot of women!). This is because the technology today is so much more sensitive than it used to be. The radiologist also told me that of that 15% who are called back, 80% will turn out to be benign in the second mammogram.

Yes, the deodorant can have an effect. The metal (aluminum) molecules in the deodorant can scatter the radiation and make it look like there are calcifications where there aren't. I hope that's all it is, or just a benign cyst or something. Do you feel any lump or pain?

I just finished replying to another thread over in Aching Hearts by (((baily))) on this exact same subject... you might want to check out that thread and see all the women who got called back and ultimately found out they were just fine. I was the only one there who wasn't.

I'd get on the phone with your DR right away and ask for specifics of what your report says. When do you go for the repeat mammo? I'll be keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 04:29 PM

Oh ((((Rita)))) You really don't need another thing to worry about. I'm really surprised that they didn't tell you not to wear deodorant: when I had my mamo, a few weeks ago, not only did they tell me when I booked the appointment, it was also part of the instructions on the form and they also had notices plastered on the walls of the changing rooms when I went in for the mamo, informing women to remove all traces of perfume and deodorant should they have used it that day.

I agree that your doctor should have called you before you received that letter. That's such an impersonal way to let you know of a possible issue

I agree with Michelle and linda: get on the phone and ask your doctor for explanations.

Sending tons of s your way. I know many women who had a suspicious mamo but nothing to worry about.
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:13 PM

Dear ((Rita))

The same thing happened to me a few months ago with my first mammogram... part of the issue with the first one is that you can have things show up that, as my sister put it, are like freckles of moles on your skin... and they have to look closer to make sure they are "normal moles" rather than "cancer moles"... once they determine that with the baseline mammogram, next year when you have the mammo and the same thing shows up they can look back at the previous year and go "oh, no big deal". Hopefully that is all it is.

In my case I had one area where there were multiple calcifications. They did a follow-up mammo that was different than the regular one... maybe called a compression mammogram I don't recall.... and then they did an ultrasound. Nothing looked cancerous so they just said to come back next year.

My sister also was called back the first time for the same thing... calcificiations....

I hope that is all it is with you too. I was a little worried too.

BTW, my doctor didn't call me either. I just got the letter in the mail that said to call my doctor for details and then someone from the mammogram place called me to schedule the follow-up. My doctor did call me back and we talked about what information he had received.

Best wishes!!

Sarah
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Common for first one

Hey Rita!

It is common to get a call back for additional views. I work in a clinic and know that if its your first one they have nothing to compare it to. A baseline mammo usually draws about 30 % patients back for additional views. I just had mine done yesterday for the first time and was told not to be surprised if I got a call back due to the fact they have nothing to compare it to. They just want to be cautious.

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:22 PM

Rita,
I too am surprised that your doctor or doctor's nurse did not call you back. I think it's a bit unusual to receive the news in the mail. I would be on the phone to my doctor asking about this.

I do think these days, they are being much more careful and redoing the tests and doing rechecks isn't that unusual.

I do remember one time the rushing me off to have an ultrasound of my breasts. Really freaked me out at the time, but thankfully all was okay.

I hope all turns out the same for you.
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:30 PM

Rita, I got called back and had to go a total of three times last year. My mammogram showed "architectural distortion". I think it was due to having dense breasts. Now that I had the BSO and am not taking any estrogen I'm hoping that will be a little less dense and I'll have no need to go back. I'm scheduled for my annual bilateral on April 8. Like the others have said, it's common to be called back but I know it can be upsetting. Call the doc, get an explanation and copy of the report so you know what the heck they're talking about. Good luck.
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Whew...

Thank you all you wonderful sisters!!!!!

I'll try to let my mind rest about this issue and call my doctor in the morning. I called today but the nurse didn't return my call

I told my DH that I feel so stressed that I can't make room for a new thing to stress about, so this one will have to wait. lol

Seriously though...thank you for easing my mind a bit about this. No one told me I could get called back or not to use deodorant. I also used the bath and body spray, so who knows how much the test got messed up.

Thank you sisters for easing my worries.

Rita
Unread 03-25-2004, 08:29 PM

You shouldn't worry too much if they mailed you a letter. I know that-that is easier said than done. I had my first mammo. in Jan. I went from the mammo. straight to the ultrasound, and from there I had an appt. with a surgeon the following day. I had to have a breast biopsy the first of Feb. and they took out two lumps and quite a bit of tissue from around them.

Everything came out fine, and after healing from that I am now scheduled for my TAH/BOS so I kind-of know how you feel.

I will pray that all turns out well for you.

Take care!

Katie1938

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register