My vulvar exam. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My vulvar exam. My vulvar exam.

Unread 03-25-2004, 08:05 PM
My vulvar exam.

Hi ladies. I had asked a few questions about vulvar disorders before. I decided to visit a professor at OHSU who specializes in vulvar disorders. He is a gynecologic oncologist.

After my hysterectomy gyn told me the pantiliners were rubbing me raw, I suspected I would have to see someone else.

The gyn/onc told me I have either VIN II or III, he would HAVE to laser it to treat it, it was not my imagination, and we will talk again after the biopsies are back. When he first looked, he said he hadn't ever seen anything like this, which could be attributed to the fact that my HPV is a rare type.

Biopsies hurt. The lidocaine shot was great, but not when it wore off. What do you ladies use post-biopsy to soothe the burning and itching?

Can someone share their experience with me about their laser surgery please? Thanks. Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM
My vulvar exam.

they can determine what type of HPV you have? my doctor never officially tested me for it, just assumed because of dysplasia i had HPV. ia m going to insist my GYN/ONC test and type it, my doctor said this could not be done, but i am reading so many know of their type. i had never heard of HPV. i met and married my HS sweetheart over 8 years ago, and now find out i have this. i am trying to learn everything i can before my appointment april 5th. i am diagnosed stage 1a1 cervical cancer with a 1mm micro-invasion. i am so confunsed with all of this reading so much. i have a huge list of questions for them already!!
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:41 PM
My vulvar exam.

HI! The last abnormal pap scrapings I had in August of last year were sent to a lab in Texas for a DNA hybrid test. It is useful for drs to know if you have HPV, because even if you get a hysterectomy you can develop dysplasia in your vagina and vulvar areas. It IS possible to check for HPV DNA. A gynecological oncologist should know that, and SHOULD know how necessary it is.

Cervical cancer can be related to other things besides HPV. However, HPV DNA has been found in many abnormal leisions of the cervix, vagina and vulva. I had CIN II on my cervix. With removal of my cervix in November, the dysplasia agressively spread through my vagina out onto my vulva. In December I received a bill for the laboratory test in Texas. My former gyn didn't tell me she ordered a HPV hybrid test, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I just got copies of the DNA report which shows what type of HPV I have, that it is rare, and that close oversight of my dysplasia was required.

How are you feeling?

Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 05:48 PM
My vulvar exam.

I agree--vulvar biopsies hurt. I used the disposable cold pacs that you can buy at sporting goods stores. I had DH go buy an entire box and I used them liberally. It was very helpful for me.

I hope you get good news back from your biopsy. Let us know what you find out.

Unread 03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
My vulvar exam.

i do not see the o ncologist until april 5th. i had to wait 4 weeks becasue i had the LEEP and they said i needed to heal from this first. i am going to ask that they do the DNA HPV test if they do not offer. i did not realize HPV did so much, i had never heard of it before 2 weeks ago, other than genital warts, that is the only way they associated it in HS, i really have not kept up on STD's since. i met and married my HS sweetheart at 17, we have been married 8 1/2 years, i never thought i had anything to worry about at this point. i was checked both of my pregnancies becasue i had preterm labor and they said STD's can cause it but i recieved a clean bill of health both times. my last child is not 4.....and i find out this. hopefully i will get more answers, i have so many ?? for the oncologist now!! other than that i feel fine, i would never have guessed i had cancer, i thoughti was in perfect heath
Unread 03-26-2004, 08:51 PM
My vulvar exam.

Jeanine, thank you for your suggestion. I asked my dh about it, and he said he knew what you were talking about. There! Now I know how to soothe that post-clip burn! I was using cold KY, which feels good for a while. I am better today. But still spotting a little.

Dagiffen, you should do a search about cervical cancer and read some of the old threads. They are full of great advice from women who have gone through all of this. It's very important that you take a list of questions/suggestions with you to your oncologist. If he doesn't respond to you, PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE FOR A SECOND OPINION.

Hugs to you both, and THANK YOU SO MUCH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register