Can anyone shed any light on this........... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone shed any light on this........... Can anyone shed any light on this...........

Unread 03-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Can anyone shed any light on this...........

Had a LAVH in Novr. 03 then major repair done 12/2/04 (major trauma, bladder, bowel, nerve on left hip had plumeted into the vaginal vault - massive pain. GYNO did a cystoscope and urethrescope in theatre and said everything was OK) and now have inflamed vagina causing irritation to front end. GP treated me for 14 days with Nystatin Pess. for what he thought he saw as thrush although swab grew nothing, and no relief either. Have had countless MSUs and no UTI ever showed up although he gave me antibiotics "just in case" (31 lots in total - some for cellulitis in leg) - then I had a huge dose of AB IV in theatre during the repair - but no thrush. He's now given me Aristocort to soothe the burn and itch (irriates the urethra so I feel I need to void all the time). There is a slight discharge but he says that is from the inflamation - what then is causing the inflamation? I see my GYNO next week for 6 wks check but have to sit on fire for the next 5 days waiting (what's another 5 days when I've had this painful situation for 7 weeks already!) . GP says it's not fungal and it's not bacterial and that the interior of the vagina is clean and moist (- I've had an Oestradiol Implant of 100 mg for 5 weeks so there shouldn't be any atrophy; AND it can't be caused by sex because my ever patient darling hubby is so concerned about all that has happened he has not put any pressure on me at all ) so what the heck is it? Anyone any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 03:26 AM

Hi Kerry,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing so many problems but I just wanted to send you greetings from another Australian.

I don't know what could be causing all that inflammation but I do know that I had urethritis after having a catheter in for 2 weeks and it caused burning and making me feel like going to the toilet all the time. An MSU was negative for an infection and there was no thrush, although like you, I was given AB's and also Canasten cream for thrush just in case. Everything seemed to settle down eventually although I was told to avoid talc and bubble bath because chemicals can cause urethritis as well.

I am not sure if this is anything like what you have been describing, but I do hope it settles down for you soon, and that the Dr is able to help at your next check up.

Blossom
Unread 03-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Thankyou.....

Hi Blossom, thankyou for your message. My GP says it's vulvovaginitis caused by ?. He is phoning my GYNO tomorrow to see what he says. I just want to get my life back - it's been 16 weeks since the original op. and 7 weeks since the repair, and I seem to have pain and discomfort ever since. GP has put me on Zoloft for anxiety - who wouldn't be anxious with all this going on. Thanks again, and I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 05:18 PM

(((Kerry))), just wondering, could you possibly be having an allergic type reaction to something that was used in the surgery or afterwards? Your description of symptoms reminded me of a member who once developed a severe allergic reaction to the pads she had to wear after surgery... it sensitized her so that she couldn't even use panty liners unless they were made of 100% cotton after that. It could also be an allergy to the suture material or material the catheter was made of, or???? I could be way off but I think it's something to consider.

I hope you get some relief soon!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-27-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Linda,
Yes, it could be an alergic reaction to the catheters (2) - I did mention that to the GP a couple of weeks ago and he said today's catheters are not made of latex and dismissed the idea. From what I have read on the internet on various sites it is sounding more like atrophy to me all the time - a yellowish discharge (with an odour but not an offensive one) , burning, itching, etc. (all tests have come back clear). The GP gave me Aristacort to ease the inflamation (he says it's definitely coming from my vagina onto the urogenital track) until he can talk with my GYNO tomorrow - I'll be talking to my GYNO also on the phone even though I am seeing him on Wed for my 6 wks check after the repair job.
If it is an alergy what can they do for that? If its atrophy I guess a topical inserted cream would be the answer (I had Vagifem Pess. prior to the Implant and they agravated the vagina, I think - so many symptoms are overlapping it is so confusing. I am reasonably comfortable during the nights - getting around 4 hrs sleep, but sitting is killing me. I have cried so much over the last 4 months - what was supposed to give me a better quality of life has almost wrecked me! I feel so down, so alone (because it's my body this is happening to) and so cold and empty. I know my family care - so much - as do my friends but we are all getting so sick of this - I can't even go shopping for our weekly groceries I'm so uncomfortable. Sorry to burden you with all this - any advice is much appreciated. Thanks so much.
Unread 03-27-2004, 06:44 PM

(((Kerry))) don't worry, it's no burden... I completely understand about wanting this to be the beginning of the rest of your life and feeling let down that it seems to be just the start of a bunch of new problems

If it's atrophy, the best solution I know of is Premarin cream. My DR had me use it after a vaginal repair surgery and it healed things up pretty quickly. Then for longer term use (to prevent it from recurring) some type of low dose estrogen is usually used. Have you read the article in the Hormone Jungle Articles page about vaginal dryness and atrophy? If not, you can find the articles by clicking on the More Hyster Sisters! box above, and scrolling down to click on the Hormone Articles list. That article has info on lots of vaginal estrogen options. Some ladies are sensitive to one or the other so sometimes it's necessary to try a few to find one that works for you. I am very happy using a vaginal compounded estriol cream... my compounding pharmacist uses a hypoallergenic base. Many ladies prefer the estring for convenience.

If it's an allergy, the cream your DR prescribed may help, and then since you no longer have the catheter that should be the end of it.

Hang in there!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks again Linda,
Excuse my dumbness, yes I have read the page you speak of - and I think I understand that the Implant I have might not be sufficient to nourish the vagina - but sufficient to nourish the rest of my body - it's a 100mg. I am 58 yrs old - one would think I should know these things!! I have just cried and cried - not much use I know, but somehow it seems to ease the tension and anxiety. The second op was 7 weeks ago so any reaction to the catheter (only had it in overnight, but when they took it out, boy! did it burn and hurt). Love, Kerry
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:04 PM

You're right... it's possible the implant is enough so that you don't have systemic symptoms like hot flashes, but not enough to nourish the vaginal tissues. They are very high maintenance!

Don't feel bad, it seems like most of our DRs don't realize this either

Crying can be very therapeutic, it causes you to release calming hormones... good stuff! I just wish you didn't have to.

-Linda
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Thanks again..............what would I do without you! Will keep you posted on how things are going. Please pray for me that I will be comfortable very, very soon - like tomorrow!!
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:09 PM

You got it

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register