New to Board | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-26-2004, 02:02 PM
New to Board

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the board. I have been on the surgical hormonal menopause board wondering if anyone could understand having a TAH/BSO due to cancer (ovarian) like I did, so I checked this board out and WaLa! I was dx in'96 and recurred last yr and am ok now again. Just dealing w/ lots of emotional issues surrounding the dx, the loss of many things, no libido, weight issues, etc. I keep getting told to have my gyn check my hormone levels......she could care less, as long as I remain cancer free, so I dont even want to ask.
I'm sorry for the women on the board who may be facing with the new dx of a gyn cancer and hyst. Its scary, but at least this board is a place to come to share.
Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
New to Board

Hi Jackie,

I am glad that you are well again now. Are you saying that you have been cancer free for 8 years and it came back or am I reading this wrong.?

Unfortunately I did gain some weight while on chemo and am struggling to get it off now. However, on the flip side, I had no side effects from the chemo, nausea etc., and I am still here to talk about it.. Soooo maybe the weight is not the very worst thing.

Keep us to date.
Rosalie
Unread 03-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi Jackie

What stage and type of ovarian did you have? To be free of it for seven years is great! Now that you're free of it again, may it never dare return. I have found that working with a social worker/therapist who's a cancer survivor has been very beneficial for me. She understands the emotional roller coaster, the changes cancer brings, the weight issues, appearance, etc That is one possibiilty for you--ask for referral to someone who has either worked extensively with people living with cancer of who is a survivor--and ask for a female. Men just don't get it. Hormones, I just don't know about. I now have some hot flashes again with recurrence and treatment--they were much worse with first recurrence. The ob/gyn (not gyn/onc) who did the surgery said it was no problem to have hormones; the oncologist said no hormones, and I completely agree with that. I don't know of safe substitutes--soy and black cohosh both have had some negatives attached. Welcome to the group--hopefully someone can be of more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
New to Board

I was just 1 month shy of my 7 th yr anniversary of remission from stage 2c ovarian ca. I had no symptoms when I recurred and I was truly in shock. I was just starting to get my life back in order and feel good about things. I had a job I loved, I finally started losing some of the 50 lbs I put on, and I was feeling great. I never expected it to happen again. Now I'm going through everything again. I wonder if I'll ever not feel panic over every symptom or distressed over every ache and pain. I wonder if I'll ever get this weight off and if I'll feel good about myself like I used to; I wonder if I'll ever have a healthy physical relationship w/ my husband like we should have, instead of me having problems during and after sex. I just wonder sometimes..........Not all the time............just sometimes.
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:07 PM
New to Board

Hi, Jackie, and welcome.

Boy, you've been through a lot. To have to go through this at any age is tough but it must have been quite hard at 29 years old. So, I assume your treatment (from the recurrance) is complete now? Hope so. Thank God that you were still doing all the right follow up with your doctor.

I identified with a lot of your same feelings on the menopause. In addition to the ovarian cancer, I also had cancer in my uterus. The doctors could never say one way or the other whether it was one cancer or two separate primaries. In any event, no hormone therapy for me, either.

Well, I'm sure you'll find some really wonderful women on this forum. Again, welcome.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register