1year 5 months and still struggling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1year 5 months and still struggling 1year 5 months and still struggling

Unread 03-27-2004, 07:38 AM
1year 5 months and still struggling

Is there anyone who can tell me if I am normal. It is now 1 year 5 months since my op and whilst I don't miss the periods etc I have so many other aches and pains in their place I wonder if it was worth it. Is it normal that my stomache is is a hard and swollen as a football, my doctor thinks I might have a hernia but says wait and see.

It just feels so uncomfortable and I feel really depressed.

Has anyone else suffered like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi hun...

Gosh...I'm so sorry you're not feeling well.

Have you talked with a gastroenterologist yet?

My GYN told me to 'wait and see' when I had some post-op complaints 5 months post-op. I told him that I'm not watching tulips grow, I'm living with health issues. If I were simply a spectator then 'wait an see' would be fine, but I'm living with the problems so I need to actively DO something.

If it were a hernia they could do a CT scan or something to look.

I think you need a more active doctor helping you sweetie. You have the right to a healthy and happy life. Waiting to see what happens might be understandable at some time, but not right now...not with you. You're clearly not feeling healthy and happy.

Is there a way you could seek help from another doctor or get a referral or a second opinion.

You deserve help hun...don't be afraid to assert your needs.

(((((((((hugs))))))))))

Rita
Unread 03-27-2004, 11:49 AM
HI

I am at eight months post-op and my abdomen hurts all the time, like a big bruise, and I get pains from were my left ovary (both were remoned) was. I honestly can't tell you whats "normal" anymore. I know how frustrated you are, and you try to go to the DR and your told "wait & see", then you believe there can't be anything wrong, or he/she would have done something, so your lulled into a false sense of security, but deep down you know this can't be right!!! Right know, I'm doing NOTHING. Not the brightest thing to do, I know, but I'm just sick and tired of it all. I hope you have more nerve than I do, and demand attention. Here's hoping you get relief!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 08:39 PM

Dear ((((sisters)))), I'm so sorry you're both having problems so far into your recovery

I agree with ((((Rita)))) Please try and get in to see another doctor: there is no reason to go on suffering if there is a possibility of relieving the pain.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that you get relief very soon. Please keep us posted.
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:19 AM
whats normal

Thanks for the replies I feel a bit more positive today and have made up my mind that I will pursue the matter with my doc. I just don't want to make a fuss when what I am experienceing is normal.
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:09 PM

((((Sweetie)))) This long after your surgery, I don't think your doctor will think that it's normal to be having the kind of pains your still having. Hopefully, getting help will mean that you'll have relief very soon.

Please keep us posted.
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey!

I know what you are going thru...I am 1 year and 10 months post op, I still have pain in my right side (both ovaries removed). It helps to lay on my right side at night while I sleep. Also heat helps. I really think it will always hurt. Anyway keep us posted on what your doctor recommends.

Feel better soon!!!
DeAnna
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:15 AM

Tigville :

Well you have come to the right place for support and understanding. Unfortunately, we know to well how frustrating it can be to have had the hyst and to continue to have pain/problems well down the road. Feel free to pop in and chat with us anytime.

I know that it is hard to question your doctor's judgement and none of us want to be perceived as wimpy or too needy. As a fellow patient (I'm not a physician) I think wait and see is an inappropriate response to your current complaints (symptoms that are troublesome). You would be totally reasonable in pushing for answers/attention to your medical needs.

I think that giving your current doctor another chance is probably the best way to go. If that doesn't work out you can find some other doctor who will be more active. Only you know what is best for you.

I can tell you that I have found a wonderful, caring doc who gives me the kind of care he would want for his own wife or daughter. The peace of mind from having a doctor who truly cares about you is priceless. I hope you have or find that level of care from your physician(s). I have had some doctors that I have had very little faith in and that's a drag because they are supposed to know better, know more and some of them just don't.

I truly hope you find a solution that will soon have you well on the road to recovery. Keep us posted.

s
Unread 03-30-2004, 05:47 AM

Hi every1, I am 11months post op, and still get pain on the left side, still have both ovaries, wish i didnt, have to go for an ultra- sound after Easter, doctor said left overie was inlarged, while in surgry the doctor removed serveral cycsts from the left ovarie, after post op check up he tells me i need to have yearly check ups for ovarian cancer, i am now very concerned, i thought after having a total hyserterctomy , i would be fine, and back to normal, now i am in pain again now for 5 months now.

Dont want to take strong pain killers again, took them for 2yrs before op. never again.
Well ill just have to wait and see after ultr-sound, LOVE AND HUGS TO EVERY1.
Unread 03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
What;s normal

I am 1yr and 2mos postop from my TAH and 1 mos post op from my BSO I am still having quite abit of pain and discomfort. My dr wants to do a colonoscopy to make sure that is not where the pain is coming from and now they have decided that my body is producing relaxin a hormone usually only found in pregnant women(which I am definitly not). It is causing my pubic bone, and sij joints in my lower back to seperate. Very painful.
I used to feel the same way you do about my pain. I thought I was just maybe very weak or just couldn't handle it until I found this site and these women have helped me realize that daily life shouldn't be full of pain. That is what is not normal.., If you are having pain that is causing you to live your life around it please call your dr. It has taken me a long time to realize that I have the right to not hurt... And to demand that they find out why I do and without hystersisters that might have not happened.
Please take care of yourself and know that we are all here for you.
In love and light
Jeni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register