Oh The Pain Of A | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh The Pain Of A Oh The Pain Of A

Unread 03-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

TOOTHACHE!!!!

I know that this is the wrong end ( LOL ) but maybe someone had some remedies.

About a year and a half ago, a back tooth, which already had a root canal done in it, started hurting. Trying to save the tooth, my dentist cleaned the area good and the pain went away.

Well, this past Friday it started hurting again. Went to the dentist on Saturday and an xray showed that there really was not change.

He gave me two options,,,,he would clean again very well and he smoothed everything down including the bite area. He put me on antibiodics, a mouth swish, and advil for pain and said to see what happens. The other option was to pull the tooth which I should have done.

Today is Sunday and the tooth is still hurting. The throbbing in the absolute worst.

Anyone have any solutions??? I told my dentist that I less pain with my hysterectomy than I do now.

Thank,
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Have you tried oil of clove? That's what my dentist recommended when I wasn't able to get in right away to get a tooth fixed. I think you can get it at most pharmacies.
Unread 03-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

OH OWWWWWW! I agree. Tooth pain is the absolute worst. A couple of years ago I had an abscess develop in a newly done root canal and it was the most excrutiatingly painful thing I have ever had, far surpassing the hysterectomy.

One thing I can tell you NOT to do is put hot packs on your face. I did, not knowing that the heat, even though it felt soothing, can actually spread the infection. My face was swollen for days. So cold packs only! They did put me on antibiotics and gave me Vicodan for pain, which in turn made me sick to my stomach. However, by the time I had to discontinue it, the antibiotics had kicked in and I was able to get by on Advil.

Can you reach your dentist, most of them have an answering service, and see if you can get something stronger for the pain? I would think if there was an infection, the antibiotics would have started working by now, so maybe those need a change too.

I am wincing with sympathy. I hope you feel better soon. What a drag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Dear Rosalie,

Hope that you manage to get back to your dentist tomorrow to deal with this. Because it's a root canal, it does sound like it might be an abscess starting to develop. But, it's giving you plenty of notice.

How about trying Ambesol (I think that is the spelling) which temporarily dulls tooth pain until you can get to your dentist? Or go to a pharmacy today, and ask the pharmacist to recommend something for right now?

big
Unread 03-28-2004, 02:51 PM
OWWWWW!

I feel it here. Anbesol is a topical anesthetic that might help. The pain concerns me. I had a root canal once that abscessed a couple years later--the first xray didn't show one odd little offshoot root in there and it got infected. Do you have a crown on this tooth? If so, there may be something working under the crown. I don't like thinking of permanent teeth being pulled, but I'd rather do that than live with toothache pain. The advice for cold packs is right on!
Unread 03-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Rosalie,

I know just how you feel; toothaches are the absolute worst! I had pain in a tooth with a root canal and had to call the dentist at 6 a.m. on a Sunday. He prescribed Vicodin and antibiotics and had me come into the office the next day. The tooth was infected and he sent me to an endodontist for a re-root canal. I didn't even know that you could have a second root canal in the same tooth before that experience.

I went through the whole re-root canal, only to find out that the root of the tooth was fractured (which couldn't be seen on x-rays), so I had to end up getting the tooth pulled in the end anyway. I'm now in the middle of getting bone grafting because the infection had gone undetected and eaten away at the bone. I'm scheduled for a dental implant and a possible second bone graft in mid-May.

I've had my share of dental reconstruction projects throughout my lifetime. I had a dental implant done by the same oral surgeon who is doing this implant 12 years ago, and it's just like having a "real" tooth. However, it required several bone grafts, and the entire process took more than two years from start to finish. I often joke that I got treated for cancer in less than a quarter of the time it took for me to get a tooth fixed!!

Don't worry about the possibility of having to get the tooth extracted, because there are a lot of wonderful cosmetic dental options these days! Don't suffer with the pain; call the answering service and tell them you need some relief ASAP!!

Good luck and take care, Rosalie.

MoeKay
Unread 03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Thank you everyone!!

I did call the pharmacy and asked about the oil of clove. He said that it is basically like anbesol which I was also using. He also told me that if I had pain killers in the house I could take that along with the advil, soooo...I dug out the bottle of Darvaset which I had from my hysterectomy. Although they are a year and a half old, he said that they would still be ok.

I took it and it really did not help. The cold compresses do help but my whole face feels numb from it.

Anyway, I will be calling the dentist early in the morning.

Sure hope I make it thru the night. I am not a drinker but did go looking for a possible open bottle of whiskey. Unfortunately I did not find one.

Will keep you updated and thanks.

Rosalie
Unread 03-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Well ladies,,,, the tooth is out and I fell 100% better already. I thank you all for all the wonderful advice.

Rosalie
Unread 03-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Rosalie ,

I am gald the tooth is out. Last year while going thru chemo I suddenly got horrible tooth pain. I t felt as though the tooth was pressing thru my head and face. I was 30 minutes away from home and almost let my then 15 year old drive, because the pain was making me feel like I would pass out. My dentist met us at his office at 10 Pm, said the tooth had shattered and yanked it out. What a relief. I still haven't had a bridge, because we can't afford it and have a missing tooth on the side, but it is only visible when I smile big. I hope to get it fixed later this year.
Unread 03-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Oh The Pain Of A

Rosalie
So glad your pain is over. Those tooth aches can be so nasty.
's
Ruth S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register