Update on my LEEP - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on my LEEP Update on my LEEP

Unread 04-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Update from doctor.

Today I had my post op from my Biopsy done from my LEEP from last week Thursday. I had a slight infection which doesnt appear to be that bad. Antibiotics and painkillers will finish this off. He did say all the test showed 2 lymph glands have cancer and radiation will be in order. It didnt spread to any organs or anywhere else. He didnt give me what stage and I didnt even think to ask. He does want me to get a 2nd opinion ..so I will be seeing one of his colleuges on April 5th. Another ob/gyn/onc... and then radiation will be set up at that time. My doctor is talking about a TAH because I had a lot of scar tissue around my fallopian tubes when I had my tubes tied back in 1999. He said the cervix needs to heal so there is no chance of infection from the biopsy.. 6-8 weeks. Surgery will be scheduled in late May or early June. If the radiation doesnt work then the lymph glands can come out at that time with the hysterectomy. He said I will be out of work 6-8 weeks and probably in the hospital if everything goes well, 4 days. I have a couple of questions to anyone... does all this sound normal? He said he wanted a 2nd opionion in case the insurance company says anything about taking everything out with having only CinIII and not wanting it to reoccur. He said if everything comes out and everything goes the way it should ..cancer reoccurance is less than 1 per cent... I am looking for some more information. I trust my doctor but there is always questions. I want to thank everyone for helping me cope yesterday.. I was so stressed.... I came home today and slept for several hours. It was what I truly needed. Thanks ...LINDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Update on my LEEP

Linda,
What kind of cancer did the doctor say that you have? Cervical? Did he say what kind of cervical? How did he biopsy lymph glands with a Leep procedure? Or do you have no cancer, just a CINIII?

I hope that you are seeing a gyn/onc. If not, you should be.

You are having radiation, THEN a hysterectomy? That's not the way it is usually done for cervical cancer. Did the gyn/onc tell you all of this?

This doesn't sound right, but it's very late and I think that I am very confused! Sorry!

Janie
Unread 04-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Sorry Janie

Its not you ...its me ... I was reading the post and getting confused myself. Okay here we go again ... okay from what my doctor told me its cancer in situ of the cervix. He said that radiation is in order, no chemo. I have a appointment on the 5th to speak to another Ob/gyn/oncologist regarding taking some more test to see if any lymph glands are involved. I dont know what these test involve. They took an MRI and is did show something but per my doctor is not sure what it is ...The 2nd doctor is suppose to be able to have answers for me. I am assuming that radiation will be before the hysterectocmy since I have an appointment with the ONGcologist on the 5th ...maybe I am jumping the gun ... I am not sure if radiation will be set up at that time or not. They had to wait for the pathology report to come back to give me all my great news today. They hysterectomy will be scheduled end of May or early June. Okay is this making any sense to you ..because I am getting myself more confused. Do they usually do radiation after the hysterctomy? Maybe he did tell me that .. I was not listening very well after he said CANCER IN SITU. I thought at first it was only Cin III and they couldnt get all of it out with the LEEP. I thought they could go back inside and do it again ..I guess not. So if you have any answers for me ..feel free to give them. I am getting more confused by the minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Another Question????

Can anyone tell me what Cancer In Situ is ????? Are there stages for this or is it just cancer of the cervix? I was told at first that Cin III which I know I have for sure ( I saw the pictures) is boarder line dysplasia and cancer in situ. I go into my doctors office yesterday and the pathology report says Cancer IN Situ cervical. I was told the margins were not clear???? and that is has not spread to organs. Should I be asking him for some type of degree or stage or something. I have to see an Onglogist 5th of APRIL. Any help would be appreciated. I am usually on it but I feel so stupid lately about all this. LINDA
Unread 04-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Okay found the paper

Found the paper work I need to take with me to my doctors appointment on the 5th of April Carcinoma insitu cervical Sil ???? Sorry if I confused anyone here with all this cancer talk and lymph stuff. I should have found the paper first before I posted anything. Okay any help here from anyone would be apprecited. No numbers or grades or stage behind the name though. Arrrggghhhh I am going to bed.. I am getting myself more stressed out before I even see the oncologist next week. I need a long hot soak with some time bubble bath. Wishfull thinking ... I cant do that yet. ...See you tomorrow ...Linda
Unread 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Update on my LEEP

(((Linda)))

This all does get to be confusing. And I have to admit, I'm confused myself from your posts. Cancer-in-situ (CIS) is a little further advanced than CINIII, but not by much. Some docs use the terms interchangeably. Literally, it means "cancer in place" meaning it's still where it began, in the skin of the cervix. This is still a precancerous condition. Some docs refer to it as non-invasive cancer, or stage 0 cancer. But it's still non-invasive. Out of the hundreds of women who have come through here with CIS, I've only ever heard of one getting radiation for CIS. It is not standard treatment for a noninvasive condition. Surgery is considered curative. So, I'd be asking a lot of questions about that.

About the lymph glands. He can't have checked your lymph glands during a LEEP. Did he by chance say maybe that your glandular cells were involved? The cervix has squamous cells and glandular cells. The glandular cells are higher up in the cervix, but they have nothing to do with the lymph glands. Did he samy you have cancer in your glandular cells? Can you give us any more info from your path report? Or perhaps whatever it was on your MRI is what has him concerned. When they do your hysterectomy, they can look around at stuff, see what's in there, do a lymph node check (if that's indicated--which it will be if invasive cancer is found). I'm glad to hear you are getting that second opinion, and I'll be interested to hear what the results are from that.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and 'ers.

Unread 04-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Jeanine and thank you for you patience!!!

You are so right ....my head is swimming now. I had a restless night only because I was reading this stuff here and not having the answers I need to have. I have phone calls this morning to both doctors because I need some answers. I have been trying to calm my mind to know everything is okay and then I get all overwhelmed again. I know I am not you or anyone else on this board but I see what all you women have gone through and it seems to be fine now. Isn't it??? I think whatever was on that MRI had him more concerned than anything else plus what came back from the pathology report after the LEEP. Now I have more questions than ever. One question I do have for you that I may get more confused at is, do I want to keep my ovaries if I dont want anymore children. I know I should go and buy a biology book ...I think I need to buy a good hysterectomy book from this web site. Thank you ....you have been a great help as well as others on this board. ...Massivily confused in Hawaii ......LINDA
Unread 04-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Update on my LEEP

Linda,
I certainly understand your confusion! I felt the same way.
I found out my stage the first time I saw the gyn/onc. Prior to that I didn't even know I had cancer since my pap smears had been fine for 30 years. That same month I had a pap and it was a CINIII but the gyn/onc knew immediately when he examined me that it was more than that. He did a biopsy at that time that showed it was squamous cell cancer. But he did the staging, based on size, CT scan, observation and feel of the tumor. He couldn't find any evidence of spread, but it was quite large, so it was a stage 1B2. It sounds like your cancer was caught earlier and you have a very, very, small amount. It would be unusual for such a small amount to have spread to your lymph nodes. Perhaps the scan is not right, or your lymph glands are enlarged for some other reason. The doctor won't be able to tell if the lymph glands are cancerous until he does surgery, removes them, and has them biopsied. If they are cancerous, then he would probably recommend some kind of treatment after surgery, radiation and/or chemo. Your staging depends on the size of the cancer, if is confined to the cervix, or has spread to other organs. If it is not in the lymph glands, but only in the cervix, your stage would be 1a1, the lowest stage, very easily treated with a cure rate of close to 99%.

You are not stupid! No one knows anything about this stuff until the go through it. Why would we? After you see the gyn/onc, you will have your questions answered. My doctor sat down with me and had a drawing of our pelvic organs. He showed my exactly where the cancer was, wrote out all the treatments, staging, even side effects, and when they would begin! He didn't have the biopsy yet, or the ct scan, but both confirmed his diagnosis. It helped so much to have that piece of paper to go back and refer to. I must have looked at 100 times in the beginning.

Please feel free to send me a private email here at the site if you want to talk of have more questions. I well remember how overwhelmed I felt almost a year ago and I'd be happy to help, if I am able.

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks Jane for all your help

I have decided to wait until monday to talk to the 2nd opinion doctor ( at my ob/gyn/oncologist urging). I started my period and am majorly cramping today. I feel so hormonal. I had a tubal ligation done after I gave birth to my last son in 1999 and have had heavy , heavy bleeds and clots. When they took my fallopian tubes out I remember the doctor telling me he wasnt sure if they got them (pathology would have to confrom) because they were intertwined with scar tissue??? No d&c's ....no surgeries??? I had one bad pap the year before but I went to another doctor for 2 years and the paps came back negative. I go back to the original doctor who found the 1st bad pap originally and here we are now. I just want whatever is in there that isnt working or good OUT. I will know more on Monday. My job is asking now for a full report from my doctor regarding diagnosis,prognosis, I thought there was the HEPA law regarding your job and medical stuff?? I dont care either way. I just dont need one more thing to add to the list. I feel stressed ... I am getting a pedicure and doing things for me this weekend.
Unread 04-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Update on my LEEP

HEPA says your doctor can't release records to anyone, without your signed permission. You can give your records to anyone you please, as far as I know. So your office can ask you for the records, or ask you to release them. But why would they? Why does your office want the records? What happens if you say no? I don't think they can fire you because you refuse to release your records.

Are you seeing an ob/gyn? Or a gyn/oncologist? The former delivers babies and does gyn surgery, and the later only treats pelvic cancers. He wouldn't do the OB stuff. So there is no such thing as a ob/gyn/onc. I sure hope that you are seeing a gyn/onc. They are the experts on gyn cancer. Most ob/gyns don't have much experience in cancer treatment or diagnosis.

Having a pedicure is a wonderful idea! I did that earlier this week. It's SO relaxing! Do whatever feels right for you and your body this weekend. Go out to dinner, go shopping, have some wine, whatever makes you feel better.

Hugs,
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register