Update on my LEEP - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on my LEEP Update on my LEEP

Unread 04-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Update on my LEEP

I think since I work for local government City & County of Honolulu they are asking for a detailed sypnopsis from my doctor because of the amount of time off of work I need. If you ask me they are acting like jerks but I am going to talk to my union and labor board to find out next week. As far as I am concerned what business does my job have up my ying yang (sorry Janie for the slang term). Nothing thats what. It just makes an already stressful situation for stressful. Then doctor I am seeing is a gyn/onc.... just my flying fingers typing. I ate a big bowl of Chicken Noodle soup and crackers tonight ...took me right back to when I was kid.. Wonderful. Made a other wise stressful day seem brighter!!!! ....................LINDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Done with 2nd opinion today

Okay I went to the gyn/onc today for a 2nd opinion and here is what he told me.... said I am border line cin III dysplasia and carcinoma insitu of the cervix. He drew me a picture of the cervix and told me when they did the lEEP they took (the leasion) a piece out and there were cancer insitu cells found on the margin of the piece they took out. He said endocervically there may be skip leasions but wont know unitil they do more surgery. MRI came back with swollen lymph nodes but wont know for sure unitil does a biopsy. I am very tender in my pelvic area. Unknown if that is realated or not. Hysterectomy is in order but will need to wait about 4-5 more weeks to heal from LEEP. No other recommendations yet for chemo or radiation until everything is biopsyed and he will know more then. He said there is no need to keep my ovaries since I am 43 and inbetween being a very young woman and menopause. He wil be calling my other gyn/onc to let him know we talked and told me to possible schedule surgery in late May/early June. He said if I dont do anything it may or may not turn into cancer later but its a crap shoot I shouldn't gamble with. It took 5 years to become from a bad pap and everything is okay after the colposcopy.... to CIN III boarder Carcinoma insitu. I dont want it to be another 5 years holding on to everything to turn to Cancer. Anyhow I am glad to have answers now I have to see if keeping my ovaries are a good thing or not. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! Well as least I know now. ....LINDA
Unread 04-05-2004, 06:22 PM
LEE

Hi Linda - your story sounds somewhat the same as mine. I am 46 years of age, always had good pap results until my last one in November. I had the LEEP done in January and was surprised to find carcinoma in situ - stage 0. The dysplasia was quite wide spread and even the Dr. was surprised that so much had gone on in one year. After the LEEP I was told to come back every 3 months for the next year and if it had returned then she would recommend a Hyst. Talk about the world being turned upside down!!! After serious thought I decided I did not want to place my life on hold waiting for these dreaded 3 month checkups and spoke to the Dr. about doing the hyst. now. My Dr. is fantastic and I trust her judgment completely. She said if she were in my shoes, she would probably have the hyst. now too. The choice about ovaries was up to me. I decided that I really didn't want to risk another surgery down the road, plus the ovaries quite often do go on strike for awhile after surgery - so I had the "works" done. I woke up in recovery with an estrogen patch (Vivelle Dot) and have been using the patch since with no problems. My surgery was done March 1st and I have no regrets and feel fine. I know everybody is different but I thought I would share my experience with you. Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Update on my LEEP

FYI: Ovaries still produce hormones even after menopause. If you have no problems with the ovaries you should keep them. I did a lot of research on this. Do a search on ovaries and you will see what I mean. At 43 you are still quite young and apprx. 10 years from starting menopause. It's your choice, but, imho, I would keep them and I did.
Also, glad you got some answers to your questions.
Anna
Unread 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
some information...on ovaries

Very interesting website with new findings on our ovaries.
http://www.drnorthrup.com/womens-health-ovaries.php
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Update on my LEEP

If your cancer is HPV, and you've had no ovarian problems, my vote would be to keep your ovaries. The key phrase in the link (((stumped))) has provided is this:
  Quote:
ovaries maintain their ability to produce steroid hormones for several decades after menopause
These can impact everything, not just menstrual cycles. Yes, it is true that some women do need to go back and deal with a cyst or something; those of us with endo or estrogen-fed cancers obviously don't have much of a choice .

That being said, if lymph nodes are swollen because of malignancy, then they probably will take ovaries. But it is also possible that they are "swollen" due to your body's immune system fighting off the virus, then perhaps you'll be able to keep them. A lot will depend upon whether you had a history of endo, PCOS, or other problems.

As far as your medical leave, I recall having to fill out some pretty detailed paperwork for my medical leave, even though I only work per diem (one day a week, no benefits, I can refuse a shift -- though I don't). I wasn't even getting paid disability, for heaven's sake! Especially if you work for the city and county, most of them have to have pretty extensive paperwork to prove that they are compliant with the FMLA act.

I hope you're looking around over at the Pre- and Post op message boards. There will be a wealth of information and support for you from the surgery point of view and your immediate concerns in those first healing weeks.

Hope all goes well for you. This is a great time to try to take some "me" time -- even if it's just ten minutes with a cup of tea and the newspaper comic strips. Even closing your eyes, and taking the deepest, longest, quietest breath you can, can help reduce the stress of this time.

Audrey
Unread 04-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for all the wealth of info

I am so happy to have a place like this....I went to work last night and was given tons of paper work for my doctor to fill out. I dont know what happened but I started bleeding like a faucet there. I am still on my period (6th day). I dont know if the stress from the doctor today put me me there or what. I started having this massive back ache and then bleeding. I went home because I couldnt sit down anymore. I called my doctor and he asked if I had a fever. No fever. Rest until the a.m and then come in. I am thinking its the mind over body thing. Stressing out because of this upcoming surgery but man I laid down and fell asleep ..got up and was soaked with blood and back is killing me again. I hope this isnt another infection and its just me stressing again. I started crying while driving home. I feel like such a baby. This whole thing has put such a stressor on my life...these past weeks have been all about my female organs with no let up in sight. I dont know what menopause feels like but man if I have one more crying jag I am going to scream.
Unread 04-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Update on my LEEP

Chimx,
I had an incident of massive bleeding like that right before my cancer was diagnosed. No doctor could explain what caused it. I took heavy doses of ibuprofen and it stopped after a day or two. It was very scary. I too cried in the car. We aren't acting like babies, we are acting like people who have very scary things happening to their bodies!

Let us know what the doctor says. I hope that the bleeding has stopped and you are feeling a little better.

Hugs and loves,
Janie
Unread 04-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Just got back from the doctor

He said it is probably stress ....the infection after I had the biopsy looks fine. He did a check and another smear. Took some blood. Said I might be animic but will wait until the blood work comes back. Gave me more pain meds for the back ache. It feels like my female organs are going to burst... everything hurts. I got into with my husband who is not even dealing with me regarding this hysterectomy stuff. We have a good friend who is fighting for his life and has a rare liver cancer. He just went to Colorado to have this surgery because they couldnt do it in Hawaii. My husband has been holding this guys and his wife hand since last Friday, calling them on the phone daily . Was able to get his other policeman friends to donate money to this guys cause and got about $5000 so far to help with outside cost for this policeman and his family . He wont even talk to me about what is going on with me. I feel like I have this large family and I am in this alone. This all *****. All I have been doing is having a pity party and trying to keep from crying. Not only do my organs feel like they are going to burst but so do I. It helps to vent to you guys.
LINDA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register