Thanks for advice, but now pain... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thanks for advice, but now pain... Thanks for advice, but now pain...

Unread 03-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for advice, but now pain...

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about constipation after chemotherapy. I eventually have started my system going again, but I don't know if I've done myself a mischief in the effort as my stomach is quite sore. I don't know whether it is due to the problem of going to the toilet, or whether it is due still to my TAH done on 6th February. I have been having back pain too after I have done a bit of walking.

How long after a Hysterectomy does one have discomfort and pain? I don't know whether I'm expecting too much to think I shouldn't be having any pain by now. I can't help but think that by my efforts in going to the toilet have set me back somewhat.

I went to the Doctor today to ask about these pains but on examination, he said he couldn't feel anything untoward. He's given me some anti-spasmodic tablets. To be honest, he didn't inspire me with confidence. (He's not my usual doctor, you see.) I think I shall have to wait till I go back to the hospital next week and hope I get some more definite answers.

I'm sorry I'm an old Moany Minnie, but things are getting me down a bit at the moment. All this is going into the dark, not knowing what is acceptable and what needs to be concerned about. Hope I get some answers next week.

Thanks for all the sisters support and advice. You'll never know how much you are keeping me going.

Tubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 12:26 PM

My doctor has gone out of town also, and it's been really difficult to feel confident that her covering physician (and the residents and fellows in the hospital) really knows what's going on with me. In my case, I was also very angry with my doctor before she went out of town. I had been having problems getting her to listen to me regarding an infection.

I honestly don't know if the pain you're experiencing is "normal" for someone who had a TAH on Feb. 6th. But don't worry about being "an old Moany Minnie" (I never heard anyone called that before!) The 'sisters' here have been wonderful when I've just had to 'moan' about stuff!

I am looking forward with you to your doctor's return!
Best wishes
=emp
Unread 03-30-2004, 06:45 PM

(((Tubs)))

So sorry to hear that you are still uncomfortable. Yes, sometimes tummies can be sore for a while after a TAH. Not always, but sometimes, so you'll want to be sure to stay in contact with your doctor if it isn't getting better.

Back pain can also be attributed to tummy muscles that were weakened by a TAH. If you are not holding your tummy muscles tightened when you are walking, then you can put unnecessary (and unhealthy) stress across your back that can lead to back pain. So remember to tense up your tummy muscles and maintain good posture when you are walking. It might help! Of course, make sure to let your doctor that you are having problems with this.

Good luck! I hope you get better quickly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM

Hi Tubs,

I had my TAH on January 9th and have had lots and lots of stomach troubles. My stomach has always been sensitive anyway. I still hadn't been having normal bowel movements before my chemo started, and after the 1st one I went five days without going. I finally started going without the help of colace, senakot, milk of magnesia, etc. But even now that I'm regular I'm still sore. It's gradually getting better, but it can take some time. And the chemo sure doesn't help. I think with me anyway part of it is still from the surgery. And I think my colon just didn't have to work during the week I was on parenteral nutrition. It pretty much just quit working. It's almost like a muscle that wasn't used for awhile, and now it's working but it's sore. What kind of antispasmotics did the doctor give you? Be careful, because if you take too many of those, it will relax your colon and then the constipation comes back. I take levsin sometimes. It's really hard to figure out what is going on. But I think if you just give it more time, it will get better. Try to find out what foods bother you and what foods you can tolerate. I found that after a few weeks of getting back to moving around more and walking, drinking more water again, and eating a bit more fiber, it's getting better. I remember walking around doubled over for a few weeks, and boy did my back start hurting. Plus the stomach muscles won't heal right, they'll be stiff and tight if you walk bent. People kept telling me to stand up straight and I just kept wishing they could feel what it was like. Sometimes I felt like the hunchback of notre dame. I'd be bent over and trying to look up to talk to someone. Have you ever been diagnosed with IBS? I've had it for years, and the doctors say that's pretty much what I'm having now, except it's much more painful than before the surgery.

Hope you feel better real soon. Don't give up. I know how discouraging it gets. I was always in constant pain but didn't want to take to many pain meds because then I would get constipated. What a vicious circle!

Janey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register