should I be concerned???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should I be concerned???? should I be concerned????

Unread 03-30-2004, 11:51 AM
should I be concerned????

Hi I am not sure if I should be posting this here or not.. But here goes... I have a surgery date for a TAH on 6/11/04.. A CT scan has indicated that I have a build up of fluid in my uterus. My gyn did a D&C to try to remove the fluid but was unsuccesful.. She now says that she cannot rule out cancer and is going to have an oncologist in the operating room on stand-by just in case they find cancer. Has anyone experienced fluid in there uterus before and is it usually a good indication of cancer?? I am very concerned as I just got my surgery date today and will have to wait until June 11th for the surgery. It seems to me that if there is enough of a chance of my having cancer that the gyn is having a oncologist oncall, than the surgery should be sooner than 10 weeks.. I did call my gyn's office and the secretary said that this was the soonest that she could coordinate all that was needed for the surgery ... Am I being overly concerned or is it standard procedure to wait this long???? Nance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 06:51 PM

(((Nance)))

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. I'm sorry to hear that you have a concerning situation. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you. A fluid build-up may or may not be indicative of cancer. There just isn't any way to know for sure until you are in the operating room and they can see everything that's in there. I'm so happy to hear that there will be a gyn/onc on call for you--if there's cancer involved, you'll definitely want to have a gyn/onc doing your surgery. Is there any reason you aren't going to see a gyn/onc before your surgery to get their opinion ahead of time? If you aren't scheduled until June, it seems you should have plenty of time to get in to see one. You might like to consider it.

Good luck! Let us know how things are going!

Unread 03-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi Nance.

I agree with Jeanine, since you have this time to wait, perhaps a gyn/onc consult would be a good idea.

The wait is always scary...we're here for you!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 08:36 PM

NancyJoy,
As the others have said, make an appointment with a gyn/onc, now. You shouldn't have to wait until June to find out something! I can't believe that they can't schedule surgery sooner. Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Or a sonogram. Call your gyn's office and ask which gyn/onc they refer patients to. Then call him/her and schedule an appointment for a consult as soon as possible. He'll be able to tell you much more about what the chances are that you have cancer, what tests you should have, etc.

Good Luck, keep us posted!
Janie
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:22 PM

Hi NancyJoy,

Did your GYN do a uterine biopsy? If not you may ask him/her to. That should give some idea of what they are dealing with. It is relatively painless - similar to a PAP but of the uterus.
I had endometrial cancer but did not have a fluid build up in my uterus.
Do try and see a GYN/ONC as the other ladies suggest - they are the experts in this area.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Jan
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:42 AM

Hi Nancyjoy!

I had fluid in the culdesac before my LAVH. But when they went in there to give me the hysterectomy there was not enough to be of concern. I don't quite understand why it was there. I didn't have cancer.

Mel
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:40 PM

Hi Nance,

I would ask for a CA125 (or similar) tumour indicator blood test. Did you have an ultrasound? Why are they waiting 10 weeks? I know fluids (ascites) in the abdomen is not good -cancer cells can travel and spread through fluid, but I know nothing about fluids in the uterus. Can you get another opinion? I would try to get more infirmation and PUSH to get the surgery moved up -tell them you cant take the pain if it will help! This is your body - your life. Please keep trying.

Maxime
Ovarian Cancer Stage 2B
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:46 PM

Hi Nance,

Ran into this info during some research..

"The risk of cancer is approximately 5% in women who are found to have endometrial fluid on ultrasound. In these patients, the cervical outlet may be obstructed by a tumor, causing accumulation of fluid or blood in the endometrial cavity. 3 Pyometra, another possible cause of endometrial fluid, should be ruled out with endometrial biopsy or D&C."

quoted from http://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/be_...00/gca086.html

Good Luck

Pat
Unread 04-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much!!!!

HI I am just posting to thank all of you wonderful women who responded to my plea for help.... I did call my gyn and got the surgery date moved up from June 11th to May 14th.. This is a great releif for me... I did have a endometrial biopsy and that was negative I also have had several ultrasounds which show nothing unusual except the fluid in the uterus..I am still concerned about the fluid build up but am so very very happy that the surgery was moved up..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register