A little creaky, but good news - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A little creaky, but good news A little creaky, but good news

Unread 03-31-2004, 10:38 PM
A little creaky, but good news

Marlene,
Good to hear that your reports were ok! I was wondering how they went for you.

I would take a bit of creaky as long as the cancer stays gone, that's for sure.

Here's to continued success and more of the "normal" reports.
Congrats!

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 02:30 AM

Marl,

Congrats on the negative mamo!!! Mine is coming up in a few weeks, and I too had a baseline bone density last week and am waiting for the results. I am hopeful that my bones are good since I have been a faithful member of Curves for the last two years I would highly recommend that program for bone and overall health. My mother in law who just turned 80 began it shortly before me, and in the course of two years she has virtually reversed her osteoporosis as well as brought her cholesterol to normal range.
Unread 04-01-2004, 03:50 AM

Hi, Marl--

Congratulations on you mammogram results! As for the diagnosis of mild osteoporosis, your doctor probably told you that the greatest loss after surgical menopause occurs in the first couple of years. Then things level off, so I would suspect that the greatest loss is over for you at the four-year mark.

Although I had a normal dexa a few months after completing radiation, my next test results a year and a half later showed mild osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis. I was advised that if the next test result showed further loss, I was a candidate for Fosamax or Actonel. I made sure I got 1500 mg. calcium/day (in 500 mg. increments) with half that amount in magnesium to aid absorption. If you take a multi-vitamin, it should contain the necessary 400 mg. of Vitamin D, but I would check to be sure. I also eat a low fat, calcium-rich diet including several glasses of nonfat milk a day.

A very important aspect of maintaining bone health, as others have said, is weight-bearing exercise. I began working a number of years ago with free weights, and worked my way up from the 1 and 2 pounders to the 10-12-15 pound range (depending on which muscle group I'm working at the time).

The results of my last three dexa scans have shown no further loss, and I'm confident that now that you know about your condition, your results will stabilize or improve!

Best regards,

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 06:45 AM

Dear (((Marlene))) So happy for you re the good mamo results, you must feel relieved. I know I was shaky a few months ago when I took both these tests, cancerhead seems always ready to raise it's nasty head. Now about mild osteoporosis, if you are a cheese lover or prefer trying a diet /exercise approach first, you can hint hint hint, gosh just suggest to your doctor that you might want to try changing diet first. Perhaps there even are other foods out there which help deter bone loss but don't affect cholesterol as much as cheese? In any case I am glad for the overall good results and am sure you and your doc will work out a program that is the best for you.
s and blessings, peggiesue
Unread 04-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the good words and suggestions.

Peggiesue, I like the idea of diet/exercise before going the medication route. I see the Dr on Easter Monday so we'll talk, and maybe I can present that to him as an alternative.

Moekay, thanks for your suggestions based on your own experience. I've been taking calcium w/D, 600 mg twice a day, since my surgery. In the last year I've had to lighten up on dairy foods because of cholesterol, but skim milk and nonfat yogurt sound like possibilities. (Of course, think of what a nice wheel of brie would do for me.....)

Also try to walk every day and do a little workout in the evening.

When my gyn first suggested the bone density scan, it was exactly as you said, that a few years had elapsed since the hysterectomy and so this was a good time to see how it had affected me.

So we'll see what the DR and I can come up with when we meet in a couple of weeks.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 04-01-2004, 02:54 PM

Maureenie --

I hope you're getting out and walking. Weight-bearing exercise is best for bones, which is why I've finally started looking for a gym. But walking is also helpful!

Hi, Marlene!

My mom takes Fosamax. She's having some joint pain with it but isn't sure if it's the Fosamax or arthritis. My mom has walked three miles a day every day for the past 15-20 years. It's a daily ritual for both of my parents. But she is very tiny and petite (e.g., has trouble keeping her weight at 100). Thus, even though she does everything right, heredity came into play and her most recent bone scan did show osteoporosis. She was crushed.

As for calcium, it is not always recommended in high doses for people who have had cancer. Which presents a dilemma. I believe no more than 1000 mgs. is recommended for someone with my history. But I'm 38 . . . so I'm certainly worried about bone loss (since my surgery).

Dairy products are also not recommended for people who have had cancer, but if you opt for the non-fat varieties, I'm sure those would be preferable. Certain leafy greens also have calcium, as a previous poster noted. (I'd prefer to get mine from cheese and ice cream, but I've cut both of those things out of my diet. I'm still struggling with the chocolate, though.)

:-)
Unread 04-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Great Info

Firstly - I'm happy for you Marlene - good news regarding the mammo - I have to go for my first one as soon as I make the appointment and your example has encouraged me to do so asap.

Secondly I must thank all you ladies for contributing such a wealth of information which I'm incorporating into my life - the dietary/exercise, meds, etc. It truly is priceless.

Wishing you all a great weekend!!!
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:11 PM

My gyn prescribed Fosomax once weekly last year after my bone density showed a slight decline in bone mass. I could not tolerate the Fosomax. My bones and joints hurt terribly for four days after taking the Fosomax....would just start to feel better and it would be time to take the next weeks dose. I felt very fluish. The pharmacist said that some woman have trouble with this and that the daily dose mught be better suited to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register