New and confused about cervical stuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and confused about cervical stuff New and confused about cervical stuff

Unread 03-31-2004, 12:44 PM
New and confused about cervical stuff

Hi,

I am new here and was wondering if anyone could give me some answers. About 4 months ago I had an abnormal pap result so I had to have a colp and biops taken. It came back a Cin II result so my Dr. proceeded with the cyro freezine done. I went back in for the pap that my Dr. said he wanted done every 2 months. Well it came back abnormal again and he did another colp and took another biop. It again came back a Cin II.

My doctor suggested at the time of the last biops, that if it came back the same he might consider a hysterectomy, but I don't go in to see him until April 19th to talk about it. I guess since I had my tubes tied after my last child so I am done having kids that maybe he thought about the hysterec.

Is a Cin II bad??? My doctor seemed so concerned when he found that I had abnormal cells again so soon after the cyro. Is is normal to go with the hysterectomy with these results? I have heard that some others have the cone procedure done but my thoughts are that a lot of time it comes back anyway and maybe I should just get this all out of me.

Sorry so many questions.

Thanks for any help

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Karen:

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this. I would ask your doctor whether a LEEP procedure or cone biopsy would be beneficial to you before they go ahead with a hysterectomy. A lot of times, they can take care of the bad cells with those procedures. Best of luck to you, and let us know what you find out!

Sunny
Unread 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM

Hey Juls,

Sorry to hear you are going through this, it is no fun to hear about stuff like CIN! CIN II is somewhere in the early-middle of precancerous conditions, so I wouldn't say it's "bad". Like Sunny said, a lot of people can get complete treatment with a LEEP or cone biopsy without going to a hysterectomy for CIN II. I'd ask your doctor about it. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 03:21 PM

Hi,I`m brand new here,had tah March 23,from what you`re dealing w/now.Difference being I kept ignoring it for 16 yrs. off & on.It`s only me but,if you`re done havind kids,why not?(again just me)Anyhoo..I waited for things to come back clean for yrs.,they didn`t. I start radiation April 26.(Maybe chemo also,I get to decide)
Good luck...if you want to talk...
:-)
Unread 03-31-2004, 05:06 PM

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry about your situation, and since my cancer was a different kind, I can't give you much in the way of information or experience...but others already have been here to respond and more will, I'm sure.

You can depend on your Hystersisters to be here for you.

Prayers and good wishes!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Hi, Karen, welcome to hystersisters!
Sorry you are having problems, but you will find lots of support here. I had my first "abnormal" reading on a pap about 8 yrs. ago. I had cryosurgery, and really did not ask very much about it. My ob/gyn just said there were abnormal cells that needed to be dealt with, and that was that. Never had any other problems, until June 2002, spotting after intercourse, went in early for my yearly pap because it concerned me. I had a biopsy performed that day of a lesion on my cervix, and one week later I was referred to a gyn/onc. and had a radical hyster. for stage 1b cervical cancer. I don't say any of that to scare you or say that this will happen to you! It probably will not happen, but just to be safe: please ask many questions and maybe ask for a referral to a gyn/oncologist just for a consultation, to see what they would suggest. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes!
Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:52 PM
To Katie

Tell us a little more about your situation. What kind of cervical cancer? What stage? I am suprised that your doctor is letting you decide about Chemo. It's such a great boost to radiation, it nearly doubles survival rates. Why wouldn't you do chemo with the radiation?

Ask any questions. I well remember how scary it is when you first get the diagnosis.

We're here!
Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:09 PM

Hi, Karen!

I started a thread last week on this because I am dealing with a very similar scenario to yours. I had a hyst for what appeared to be ovarian cancer and turned out to be severe endo. I kept my cervix, having never had an abnormal Pap. However, by the next year, I had "converted," probably from HPV infection dormant for years.

If I am positive yet again, I am asking for DNA testing of the HPV virus. There are certain strains that are considered "aggressive" and for me, knowing what strain will make a difference in my decision-making. A hyst is major surgery, no two ways about it, and if you can get rid of the CIN with a LEEP (such alphabet soup we speak around here! ) you may be in that 85% that is home free.

The other recommendation you will find here, again and again, is to get at least a second opinion -- with a GYN-oncologist. They are the experts in this sort of thing, and will be able to better help you sort out your choices, and evaluate your risks. I would ask for that referral now: if this latest Pap isn't "normal" (you are getting ThinPreps, probably, which are more accurate) you need to head off to the oncologists to do the LEEP if that's your next step. Cone biopsies can often take care of the problem too.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to do what I can to fight off the virus. It's been a problem lately: I rarely get cold sores, and they're kicking up right now. For some reason, my immune system isn't fighting this one off. I take extra folic acid along with my other supplements, and am really trying to eat well and get as much exercise as I feel up to doing (not because of the hyst or endo but because of auto-immune problems). I figure I have to do what I can to help my b ody fight back!

Ask your doctor about the HPV testing. Most CIN is caused by HPV, which is far more common than most people realize. Some strains are slow-growing; others more aggressive. I know that will change my decision making, should any subsequent Pap come back the same (my next one is coming up 4/23 -- I hate the waiting). I'd also call the office and ask who they work with for oncology. You can research who your insurance covers should you need to go to that point.

I hope you find some answers. The whole second opinion thing is tiresome, and if you trust your GYN, that's great. But I wouldn't go the final step of hysterectomy without thoroughly researching your options and risks with the experts, the GYN-Oncs.

Audrey
Unread 04-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi Karen

I am going through a little of what you just went through. Mine is Cin III which the Leep or Conization normally would have gotten out all the dyplasia with the procedure. I had the LEEP procedure and it didnt get it all out. I was told today that there are a couple of lymph glands with got invaded with cancer. We are all different. My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy but also sen ding me to get a 2nd opinion from one of his colleuges. I think you need to speak to your doctor and tell him your fears of going through this after every pap smear. My doctor is one of the good ones and told me if there was no cancer at the end of this he probably would have recommended to have it taken out anyhow because it is such a rollercoaster ride for anyone and he wouldn't do that to one of his patients. I've had 5 children already and there are no more in my future. I really cant wait to get it out and not have worries about cancer and the scary stuff that comes with it. I hope you find all the answers you need... LINDA
Unread 04-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Linda

Are you saying that you don't have cervical cancer but have lymph node cancer? How do they know that without a biopsy of your lymph nodes? And where did the cancer come from, if not your cervix?

Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register