Surgery 10-31 Home before noon on 11-1 (24 hours later!!) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 10-31 Home before noon on 11-1 (24 hours later!!) Surgery 10-31 Home before noon on 11-1 (24 hours later!!)

Unread 11-02-2000, 11:40 AM
Surgery 10-31 Home before noon on 11-1 (24 hours later!!)

Okay, what they say about waiting is sooooooooo true! It was the absolute worst part of this whole procedure. I had what is called LASH Laprascopic Assisted Supracervical Hysterctomy/BSO. Now that is the procedue that is done TOTALLY through the belly area, leaving the cervix and taking uterus and both ovaries and tubes. I was in tears the minute I walked thru the double doors to get into my gown in the patient assessment center, when my husband came in we waited about another 30 minutes before they wheel chaired me up to the surgery 'gathering' area.....boy were there a lot of people and noise....meet my anethesiaocoligist, surgical nurses, my Dr. said hi and was gone and the next thing I know they were wheeling me on a bed into the surgery room....it was really small. Said to put my butt in the 'hole' area on the other bed and I looked at the two lights and was starting to look around the room and that was it!!!! Lights out.......next thing I know was Avis wake up.....looked at my husband....waved and went back to sleep for the next 2 hours. Then onto my room. I was in my room before 12 noon, slept until about 4, got up to go pee (took catheter out at 4) and was up to the bathroom the rest of night by myself. The IV came out about 8 as I was peeing every 15 minutes. So I was a free woman before bedtime. Had 1 pain shot in recovery, 1 pain shot about 3pm and then had 2 vicodin at 1AM so I could sleep longer than 1 hour at a time. My husband left at 8pm on Halloween to be sure our dog wasn't going crazy with the trick or treators and came back at 5:30 am to say hi before he went on to work. By 7am I had a phone call from Mom in Minnesota, got up brushed my teeth, put on my make-up, bathrobe and walked down the hall to get a cup of coffee. Sat down in the chair by the window to read the paper and have my coffe and my Dr came in to release me. Left the hospital at 10:30 am and was home and settled in before noon.

I have to tell you its scarey how well this surgery went. I have 4 little holes in my belly....biggest being at the very lowest part where they took everything out. My Dr was amazed at just how big my fibroids really were.....2 HUGE ones and he held up both hands cupped with lots of smaller ones. My uterus was laying on my back which was causing low back aches and the pain in my left leg while we were on our cruise the week before surgery. I have not had a pain pill today at all....had 1 last night right before I went to bed at 9:30. Been puttsing around the house, went for a walk down the street 4 houses and back this am. Worst thing was pulling off the bandaids over the incisions after my shower this am. Still have the one on way down low as I am scared to pull it off for fear something will open up! My Dr told me to take them off today so tonight when hubby comes home I will do that in case I blow around the room like a balloon letting out air.

To recap.......It is unbelievable.....this truly was the painless hysterectomy.!

Avis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2000, 12:10 PM

Hi

I just read about this procedure this a.m. in the paper and plan to ask my GYN about it.

Hope your recovery is a good one!

Unread 11-02-2000, 04:43 PM

AVis-
So glad to see you are home and comfortable. Hope the rest of your recovery proves to be uneventful!
Welcome home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2000, 08:40 PM

Welcome Home Avis!

Just think the rest of your recovery will move along at the speed of light.

I'll bet you sort of want to give your Doc a BIG Hug right about now, don't you? : )

So let's see, you can drive in a week, green light for sex is 1 week too! If I remember correctly I was changing sheets early in my second week.

Six weeks post-op on Friday and it seems like my surgery was ages ago.

What kind of HTR are you on? I love being hormonally balanced. It's the 1st time I felt 100% normal in a couple of years.

Life is very good!

Big Hugs to you,

Paige
SLH BSO
9/22/00

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register