Ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Ablation

I am going in for the Novasure Ablation on April 16th and wanted all the info possible ahead of time that anyone is willing to give. I have read some on this, and apperantly this is not a sure fix for the days of heavy bleeding. I feel like I am taking a chance on this procedure, but don't think I want a hysterectomy like my doctor suggested at first. What will happen when I go for my pre-op visit? How long will I be off work? I have a desk job, with some lifting at times, but I know not to lift for at least 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Ablation

I have my TAH 4/12, my co-worker goes for her novasure ablation on 4/6. I can tell you more after that. I guess we will have a closed case study/comparison in our office...

My Dr. and I discussed ablation, but in the end, with my problems and family history, hysterectomy was the bottom line. I am quite happy with my decision. It was hard, at first, though.

Good luck with your procedure. I hope it works well for you
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Ablation

http://www.novacept.com/index_patients.html

There is a lot of information on this website.
Even a little video explainin what is done.

Good luck.[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Ablation

I had a hydro-thermal ablation last October. I have a large fundal fibroid that causes nonstop bleeding. After 4 months, it became apparent that the ablation didn't take care of my bleeding problem. My gyn did a hysteroscopy and found that my uterine lining is growing back in clumps. I continue to bleed every day so will have a TAH/BSO on 4/28 (2 days before my 49th birthday). While lining regrowth this soon isn't the norm, that's what's happening.

Why are you going to have the ablation? Is it because of fibroids?
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Ablation

I had an ablation about 3 years ago. I don't know if it was "Novasure" but it was with some kind of electric impulse tool. It was a blessing. Really easy - I had an epidural, so i was awake during the procedure, but felt nothing. From my angle it was like a really long internal exam. It was over in half an hour or so and I was home by evening. Some not too bad cramping for a couple of days. Managed with usual pain killers. Took a week off work and took it easy. Before the ablation, I had major flooding (a 45 min. commute to work and I flooded the car!) almost ended up with transfusions. First period after was way lighter than most people's "normal" period, by 6 months I had no more bleeding at all. I really feel it was worth it, especially if the goal is just to control bleeding. My Dr. too said it was not a sure thing, but definitely much less invasive than a hysterectomy. If your Dr. is recommending this first, I'd say go with it.

I'm scheduled April 7 for a TAH, but it is for a secondary problem with fibroids, cysts and no bleeding but PAIN during periods. Have chosen to do the TAV because of a family history of Ovarian cancer.

Breathe deep, plan some quiet time and take it easy. Good Luck.
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Ablation

I had an ablation in '99 for heavy bleeding that would not stop! The 28 day period with clots larger than my fist just would not stop! I had the ablation along with a D&C and lap. removal of a 3cm cyst on L ovary. It was day surgery, pretty easy...I was a bit tired for a coulple of weeks...the good part was the next period I had only required 1 panty liner per day...My periods turned into normal periods like when I was a teenager...I loved it...and then 4 years later it all started again...had another D&C and then 4 months later had to have the big H....If I had to do it again I would still have the ablation...I was not wanting a H back then...good luck with yours

My hysterectomy was necessary because of the massive amount of fibroids...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register