Confused and Not Sure I Got Right Answers... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused and Not Sure I Got Right Answers... Confused and Not Sure I Got Right Answers...

Unread 03-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Confused and Not Sure I Got Right Answers...

Hello all,
I went to my DR today with concerns, I had my hyst in May 2003. Since that time I have been on several differnt strengths of my V-dot. I noticed in the last month I have been having alot of cramping in my ovary area. I dont have ovaries or anything there anymore as I had everything removed. I love my DR very much she is a very kind, compasionate person who takes the time to sit and explain everything to me. MY question is she said that my cramping is due to my bowels..I am having problems with bm's like I did before my hyst. I do have a history of endo and that is what concerns me. She is basically saying there is no way it can be the endo or anything do to with my hyst. She gave me a gastroenternist number to go see. I have made a appt with them for April. Am I nuts for thinking it could be endo? I have read several posts on here reguarding that. Im just not sure what to believe. Any insite would be greatly appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 10:40 PM

(((Lori))) I don't think you're nuts at all. Perhaps another opinion is in order? Is there a DR in your area who specializes in endometriosis diagnosis and treatment? Have you ever tried using a progestogen (either progesterone or synthetic progestin) and seeing if that reduces the pain? That might be a telling test you could do.

I hope you will get some answers, and relief, soon.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:54 AM
Endo

Hi Lori!

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Endo can come back in some of us after a hysterectomy, unfortunately. I have been taking Yasmin ( birth control ) and so far havent had any problems. I see on the endo sites a lot of gals are using slippery elm powder to reduce inflammation of the bowels. Like surferbabe stated, progestins are recommened for us gals with endo. I hope you can find some relief until your appointment with the gastro.

Peace, Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM

Hi (((Lori)))) So sorry you've been having these problems

While it is always a possibility that endo can come back, I wanted to share my own experience.

I had my hyst in December 2000, kept both ovaries. A few months post-op, at about the same time as when my ovaries went back to work, I started having these cyclical pains in my lower right abs, right where my ovary is (I know it's there, because the pain from a ruptured cyst, 18 months post-op, was in the same area). And, especially since the pain cyclical, I was absolutely sure that it was my ovary giving me grief.

When I went to my OB/GYN, after examining me, he assured me that it wasn't my ovary, that it was my bowels. I was baffled: yes, I've been having problems with my bowels, as I've always had. After all, I have IBS and the hyst has only made it all worst!!! However, the pains I was having didn't feel like bowel cramps: they are sharp, dull (I know, sounds weird, but they are both: deep and dull, but very sharp at times). And they're not even in the middle, like my bowel cramps usually are!!!

I've since learned that the IBS that has always been a part of my life, is triggered by a number of things (diet, stress, meds, etc.) including PMS. This explains the cyclical nature of the pains. And I've since noticed that when these pains occur, they are offen accompanied by bloating and that if I'm careful what I eat, I can manage them more effectively.

Therefore, it could very well be that a visit with a GI doc may not be a waste of time.

Sending lots of s your way. Hopefully you'll have answers soon. Please keep us posted.
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:48 AM

If it were me, I'd see the gastro doc just to rule those problems out, if nothing else. However, my opinion as a non-physician is that your doc is off base in stating that it can't be anything to do with your hyst or with endo. That's ill informed. Had she said, its possible, but I don't think likely given your symptoms, that would be different, but to totally remove it from the possibility of consideration is mind boggling to me ... and I am not a medical professional.

If the gastro finds nothing, I'd get a second GYN opinion, if I were you!!

Lots of well wishes and s while you wait for answers!!!
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi hun...

No silly, you are NOT nuts. A little goofy maybe, but not nuts lol.

Seriously...I just wanted to add that I was referred to a GI doctor who happened to be more help than my GYN. I am glad I have him on my team. I'm hoping you have the same experience.

Like the (((sisters))) have already said, endo can return, even without ovaries. Bummer, eh? There's many reasons you could be experiencing pain though, and I'm glad you're going to see a GI doctor soon.

I would highly suggest you keep a pain journal to bring with you to your doctors appointment. Write down when you experience pain, how it feels, what makes it worse or better, and even the pain-free times of the day. Having that journal with me gave me a tool to see how the pain happened...I could see it clearer and have a more specific conversation with my doctor. I also noticed he was very respectful of my conversation with him when he saw how much effort I was putting into understanding my own pain and getting better at communicating with him about it.

BTW, you may have to go through some tests with the GI doctor, so when you do, come here and let us know what you're going to have done. Those of us who've been through it before can help you know what to expect and how to make it easier on yourself. Okay?

Hugs,

Rita
Unread 04-02-2004, 04:12 PM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! All my sisters are wonderful. I am going to the gastro on the 15th and the pain journal thing is a great idea. I will keep you all posted on my tests and what they find! Thanks again
Lori
Unread 04-02-2004, 08:34 PM

I just wanted to add that even my ob/gyn confirmed that, while my pains were not caused by my ovaries, they were directly linked to my hyst, in that the bowels are located in near proximity to the uterus. For those of us who have irritable bowels, the hyst and the settling is enough to trigger these undesirable symptoms.
Unread 04-02-2004, 08:51 PM

And I thought I'd throw in that there is some great info on the connection between hormones and IBS in our Resource Links forum... just click on "Resources" at the top of the page, then scroll down to the Road Less Traveled - Health Complications and you'll find it in there.

Happy reading and good luck with your appointment!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:26 PM

HI Sisters!
Just wanted to let you know I got the results of my stitsmarker test and its is IBS. He has put me on Zelnorm and I guess we will go from there. I want to thank you all again for your concerns and input. You are wonderful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register