Adenocarcinoma in situ confusion! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenocarcinoma in situ confusion! Adenocarcinoma in situ confusion!

Unread 04-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Adenocarcinoma in situ confusion!

The reason I suggested go to an oncologist that your Dr. doesn't know is for a 2nd opinion after you see the oncologist your doctors does recomend. I have read that you should always get a second opinion even if this doctor does not find anything.

The reason is that doctors usually back-up doctors who refered them. Just for an unbias 2nd opinion.

I also had one more symptom that I would like to mention.
For about 8 -10 years prior I had really bad cramps if I ran a long distance. They did not bother me when I was on birth control.
When I went off birthcontrol is when they found the cancer.

For some reason I have this suspision that my cancer could have been caused by my birth control - hpv might have also made me at risk.

No need for you to panic - you will be fine. It is so great that you are pro-active. It never hurts to investigate.

Good Luck -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 02:13 PM
adeno carincoma in-situ

I was diagnosed last year with AIS...I have since had a hysterectomy. Unlike the other type of cancer, this being adeno does mean it can skip areas and be further up...say, skip the rest of the cervix but be up in the uterus. I had a cone biopsy done before and my margins were clear but bottom line with this type of cancer: the doctor can only guarantee it not being up further or coming back is to have a hysterectomy...if it was the other kind and the margins were clear, a cone would have been the only other procedure you would need to have done. I had the abdominal hysterectomy and kept my ovaries. I am glad that I had this done...peace of mind. I also didn't want to be wound up all the time wondering and getting nervous around every pap - just not worth it in my opinion IF you are done having children. I'm 40 and have a wonderful step-son. If you'd like to talk more, please write. Sheri
Unread 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Gyn/Onc's opinion

I had my app't with the Gyn/Onc and she said that all that needs to be done is to continue with pap smears every 4 months. I guess this is because my cells are so much better than my pap showed. My cone did show glandular atypical cells but nothing more than atypia. My margins were clear and nothing showed on my diagnostic D&C. The Gyn/Onc is requesting the "actual slides" to have the pathologists that she uses to re-evaluate them. I have to call back in a few weeks. Wish I felt more comfortable with it all....

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 06:54 AM

I think it is great that you are seeing an oncologist and that they are taking a second look at the AIS. A-typical cell are common and many times they clear up.

As long as they are giving you a pap every three months for a few years you are doing what is correct.

7 years ago I had a-typical glandular cells on my pap but the biospy was normal. Some advise, keep all of your pap test results and keep and eye on signs of inflamation. AIS is trickey and it hides in the endocervial cannal. However they can catch it if and I say a big if it turns into anything.

Only about 2% turn into cancer - You are going to be just fine.

Best Wishes

Katherine
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:19 PM

Katherine,

I hate to have to ask, but if you knew that you had problem paps, how did you end up with cervical cancer? Did they miss the cancer in your paps? Or did you have cancer that just spread that quickly. I'm wondering because I had CIS on my cervix (which showed up 11 months after a normal pap and all previous paps had been normal). My doctor told me that I will need to have paps every 4 months for at least two years and then we will reevaluate after that. If I am clear for that two years, posts like yours make me nervous about going back to paps only once a year. Maybe I should push for paps every 6 months for life. Thanks.
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:30 AM

Chelily,

In 1996, I had 1 bad pap from a GP I was seeing. He sent me to a Gyny. The gyny did a colposcopy and did not see anything. He also took a pap test and took 5 samples of the cervix - all came up negative for anything even dysplasia. ( I think he missed it because he did not scrape inside my endocervical canal - big mistake) Anyway, I went to the gyny for paps every three months for a year (nothing).

Then I switches doctors and told her about the abnormal pap.
She was going to follow up with that doctor. She gave me paps every year for the next 7 years. All paps seemed normal. I took a look all the reports after I was diagnosed with cancer and the same thing on each report except one popped up - Inflamation and limited endocervical sample. This means that something was going on and that this new gyny should have been curious.

I am looking into a lawyer (long story). My story is so strange because I did everything they told me. What I think is that they missed it in the endocervical cannal.

sorry this is so long and drawn out - but it keeps playing in my mind.

Katherine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register