complex hyperplasia with atypia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

complex hyperplasia with atypia complex hyperplasia with atypia

Unread 04-01-2004, 04:59 PM
complex hyperplasia with atypia

Hi, Im new to this and was recently diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia. I have had missed cycles and heavy bleeding for several years and no one ever explained to me that the bleeding could be a sign of cancer. I have no history of cancer on either side of my family and was sent into total shock after the diagnosis. It wouldn't have been found if I had not almost bled to death after a heavy flow that didnt stop for two days. I ended up having a transfusion and a D&C. I have never had to be in the hospital for anything and then one week later they tell me about the hyperplasia. Im 26 and do not want a hysterectomy. I have seen two physicians (GYN) and they both say I have a great chance to reverse this using Megace. Im scared and dont know what to expect. I would really like to hear from you who have beat this and who has avoided having to have a hystorectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 05:24 PM

Hi Leebug..

So young.. I'm sorry.. but I think you have a great chance of reversing your problems, too. : )

I had assumed early stage endometrial cancer and Megace reversed it.

May I ask the dosage your doctor prescribed?

Pat
Unread 04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
same dx

Hi Leebug,
I too have the same dx with the complex hyperplasia w/ atypia.
I am 35 and was also shocked. Ultrasound showed an 8mm endo lining, biopsy came back clean as well. I continued with problematic periods for a month or two more then went back to ob/gyn. D&C in December showed the hyperplasia.

Doc and myself were both very shocked. No dx of this type of cancer in my family either. Really came out of left field. So I know how you are feeling. I was on Provera for many weeks (lots of problems with this drug for me). Then switched to Prometrium for the rest of the 3 month hormone therapy. I stayed on 200 mg every day since mid/late Jan. Have been off for just a couple of weeks now.

I am having a D&C tomorrow to see if this hormone therapy has worked. So, I will have to let you know if this has worked for me.

There are lots of other women here that have had this dx that have been "cured" with out surgery. Be sure to know your options and do lots of reading.

Just know that you have sisters here for you when ever you need to talk or vent. They are of such great help and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 06:47 PM

Pat--Thank you for the advise. It is nice to know you have this kind of support. I have yet to begin the medication and my doctor is consulting a specialst and checking into different meds for me. I am overweight and she feels we need to control that as well due to Megace being an appetite stimulant. Im not sure what does I will be taking.

Joyce--Thank you as well. I hope they give you a good report and yes please let me know how it goes. I am feeling better with each response that I recieve. Its so scary to know that you have something like this. I know I have tons of friends and family to support me but you still feel "alone". This has been such a blessing for me knowing that there are caring people to take the time and listen.

Thanks again

Lisa
Unread 04-02-2004, 07:03 AM

Lee, I'm overweight, too, and the Megace can cause problems with that, but they say it is the BEST, so don't count it out. I've been on it since January, and doc warned I'd probably gain a lot. I've gained 5-10 lbs, even though I'm walking an hour a day and eating mostly veggies. So, it IS rough, but supposedly it's worth it. Kinda ticks me off, as I'd lost 20 lbs last year, and was ovulating on my own again, and now I'm gaining it back. Imagine how much I'd gain without the exercise and eating right.

BTW, it seemed to me like the Megace makes me weaker, too. Just like 3 days in to taking it, I could only do half as many pushups. Doing some better now by lifting heavier weights, but still feel fatigued easier.

I have my next biopsy April 12th.

Pam
Unread 04-02-2004, 01:15 PM

Hi,
I have presumably endometrial hyperplasia. I am new to this board too. I will have a D&C next week to determine what is wrong. I have abnormal bleedings since 2 years, that is I spot before and after my period. Thinking back, I had pretty heavy bleeding for the first 2 days of my period a couple of years before that. I had an ultrasound that showed a lining of 12 mm.
I asked people on the board here if the thickness is an indicator of something more sinister. I guess it depends on the types of cells.
I did some reading and it appears that the thickness changes throughout the female cycle. In Premenopausal women it should be below 5 mm in the first 3-6 days after a period and than builds up. Right before the period the thickness can be between 8-16 mm. Abnormal bleedings is always an indicator of some abnormality. I had 12 mm on the day that my spotting began. I wish general Doc's would be more on the lookout for abnormal bleedings, talk with their patients about this during routine gyn check ups . My concerns were brushed of for two years. Reading around here it seems that most of us don't know what normal bleeding should be like.
I know that this has not to much to do with your situation, but I just wanted to put this info out.
The side effects of the hormonal therapies are pretty heavty, but if you only have to take them temporary than it might be worse it.
I am not overweight, or only a little bit. But the thought of depression and weight gain are certainly something to think about. Not everybody experiences the side effects in the same way.
Tinka
Unread 04-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi again Leebug,

Yes, it's true that many women get side effects from Megace.. but not necessarily.. It may have been because I was wrapped up in other things, but I didn't notice side effects for sure.. I even dropped a few pounds while on Megace, though I have to admit I had a lot of physical work to do.
This kind of cancer didnt run in my family either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register