Preop Today Doc says no Bowel PRep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preop Today Doc says no Bowel PRep? Preop Today Doc says no Bowel PRep?

Unread 04-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Preop Today Doc says no Bowel PRep?

HI Ladies I had preop today Dr says no bowel prep..he is planning a VH..but may turn into AH, due to he cannot to a Lap..because of hernia repair and a intrathecal infusion pump I have implanted for back problems. I am concerned..because I am constantly constipated due to anemia and iron supp. And worry I will be so full when he does surgery. Expressed this to him and he said he is not worried. Also concerned because..I had a C-section and may have too much scarring..which may of adhered to the uterus wall...so he said he will try TVH but if he cannot he will do TAH. I am requesting to keep ovaries unless..they look cancerous or severely damaged...due to family history of Breast cancer. Need advice I am thinking of doing my own bowel prep..if so any suggestions when to start and how? Also he said no episiotomy with TAV. I though they had too? I am not to large down there...Please advice dearly sisters!! Concerned in Hawaii. Sissy 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2004, 09:18 PM

You told him your concerns and he said no bowel prep so I sure wouldn't advise going against those orders. I didn't have any bowel prep either and other than gas didn't have any problems.

I've never heard of a doctor using an episiotomy for a vaginal hysterectomy. If it's too large or is adhered, he'd just do as he said and perform the procedure as a TAH.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:35 PM
No Bowel Prep..

Thank you for your comments. I understand everyone on this site is not a doctor. I just have read over and over again..regarding many women having bowel prep and was unsure if maybe..I should consider doing my own..as I am sorry to say..very constipated. I have read that with meds and surgery iit is usually difficult to have BM. I did mention to him if it would be okay for me to use a laxative and he said whatever I am comfortable with. I know I am in good hands..the LORDS and he will get me be there always no matter what the challenge. Alittle nervous too..only 3 days to go April 6 at 8:00am. Fondly, Sissy43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2004, 09:37 PM

My doctor didn't recommend a bowel prep either. It seems to vary by doctor. I expressed a concern about constipation too. He just said to "make sure" I wasn't constipated on the day of surgery. He said to drink lots of fluids for the couple of days prior to surgery and to do a Dulcolax suppository if I was constipated the night before. Didn't need to and didn't have any problems.

Good luck
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:28 PM

My doc didn't order a bowel prep but I talked to the nurse practicioner and she recommended a Fleet enema the night before. I had a normal bowel movement the morning before and did the enema the night before. I also suffer from constipation if I don't take my Metamucil and magnesium caspsules every night. I am extremely swollen now post-op and had bad gas pains (Gas-X helped) which is all normal but no BM yet. I'm gonna try prune juice when my mom brings it by. I'm glad I did the enema, I'd recommend cleaning out if you normally suffer from constipation. If your doctor sees no problem with it, then do it! Good-luck.
Unread 04-03-2004, 03:07 PM

After reading all the posts regarding bowel preps, I was also concerned that my doctor did not order anything. I also didn't want to use a stool softener if he didn't want me to take anything so I slightly altered my diet. Beginning two days before I really increased my intake of fruits, vegetables and liquids.

In the hospital following surgery, I was only given ice chips for the rest of the day. The second day I was only allowed clear liquids. The next day I was back to a regular diet. The next morning at home, I had a soft, easy bowel movement
Now 11 days post-op, I've kept up the high fiber intake and have had no problems.
Good luck!

Linda
Unread 04-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Re: No Bowel Prep..

Quote:
Originally posted by Sissy43
I just have read over and over again..regarding many women having bowel prep and was unsure if maybe...I did mention to him if it would be okay for me to use a laxative and he said whatever I am comfortable with.
There's your answer, sweetie, straight from the doc himself!

I wouldn't do anything drastic, unless you're comfortable with something drastic. But please, don't plan a 'bowel prep' because really, if your doc hasn't ordered it, seems like you shouldn't do it, at least to me.

How's that for being vague?

s and confidence coming your way via prayer, dear.
Unread 04-03-2004, 04:22 PM

My doctor did not order one either. However I have been so constipated and gassy, that I took a laxative today. I have been taking metamucil every day for the last week and my stoold had started to soften up. I am drinking a lot of water too. Just my decision and action for me.
Unread 04-03-2004, 05:35 PM

if your dr did not specifically order you to do a bowel prep dont do it...doing so could interfere with your surgery.
Unread 04-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Called Dr about bowel prep

Hey Ladies wanted to tell you after being concerned and getting alot of good advice from you all. I called my DR today and told him about my constipation, alittle more in detail...kind of thought he was not really listening to me the first time. He did advice that I do a bowel prep, after all. He said he was not aware that I have been 'so, so; constipated. He said that it would definetly be better to do it..prior so that I will have less problems later. He does not need me to do it for surgery..but more for being comfortable after surgery. He ordered an enema and a drink for me to take. The day (morning) before my surgery day. Thanks for all your advice. I just did not know other than laxatives..I can not take metamucil..it makes me gag and I always bring it up afterwards..was unsure what to take and when would be safe to take anything..as to not interfere with my preop. I have been taking large doses of prescribed iron due to anemia..been bleeding nearly non-stop for three years. And constipation is really bad...just can not take pain and disruption of my life with this..can not wait until 4/6/04..pray for no complications, especially with breathing tube...have had problems before. Sissy43

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register