Horizontal vs. Vertical Incision for TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horizontal vs. Vertical Incision for TAH Horizontal vs. Vertical Incision for TAH

Unread 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Horizontal vs. Vertical Incision for TAH

Hi all. I went for my pre op appointment this week (TAH with probable BSO scheduled for Tuesday 4/6) and my gyn told me that he couldn't guarantee that he would be able to do a horizontal incision for the TAH. I was pretty surprised. Apparently, he will do a pelvic exam after I'm asleep/relaxed and make that decision at that time.
I have had two previous surgeries for endometriosis and fibroids with a horizontal incision so I pretty much know what to expect with that, but I have no idea what the recovery is like with a vertical incision. Any words of wisdom?

Kellyn
TAH/BSO scheduled 4/6/04 for large fibroids, stage IV endo, adhesions.
Two previous endo surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2004, 10:09 PM

Doc originally said she'd do it vertically, and I balked because I already had an 8 inch horizontal scar from a previous laparotomy. So she said, okay, we'll go over the old one.

Now I'm not sure I made the right decision. I'm a lot heavier than I was when I had the laparotomy (17 years ago). I'm two weeks post-op, and have a significant overhang that covers the incision. It's really noticeable late at night, after a day of trying to not do too much, but overdoing it anyway.

I think I'll be okay re: infection because it's April and it's not too hot yet. But if it was July and I was sweating a lot, I think I'd opt for the vertical cut. Less chance of getting an infection from "sweaty belly".

Aly

BTW, my TAH/BSO was exactly 2 weeks ago, and I feel terrific (even with the overhang). I wish you all the best as you anticipate your own surgery.
Unread 04-03-2004, 05:49 AM

Hi --

There are several threads here on the site about horzontal and vertical incisions.......you might want to take a look at this one:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...l+AND+Incision

My hyst is the only surgery I've ever had, and I had a vertical incision, so can't compare it to a horizontal one as I've never experienced that. I can tell you that I didn't have any problems with my incision healing, the only time it bothered me was a day or two before the staples were removed (they were removed a week after surgery) because the skin around the staples was starting to heal and was pulling around the staples........it felt a lot better once the staples were gone and then healing progressed nicely and I barely have a scar.

If you'd like to look at other threads about this, you might want to try doing a search on Horizontal vs. Vertical incisions here on the site...........you'll find lots of threads, I think.

Good luck!

's

Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2004, 02:16 PM

I had a horizontal incision & since you've already experienced that I won't comment further.

Just wanted to say that my doctor also told me before surgery that he couldn't tell me beforehand what type of incision he would make because of the size of my uterus (17 wk). His words were the same, "I'll examine you after your muscles are relaxed from the anesthesia to make that determination."

Best wishes,
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register