Ovarian Cancer stage 1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer stage 1 Ovarian Cancer stage 1

Unread 04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Ovarian Cancer stage 1

I've an ovarian cyst removed on 20/3/04 and doctor found it cancerous at stage 1. It is called germ cell cancer. Cyst size is 15cm and both ovaries are intact as we are planning to conceive. The doctor is recommending 4 course chemotheraphy for follow-up treatment. At the same time, the level of Alpha Feto protein cancer marker has dropped on weekly basis and doctor said it is a good sign. My husband and I do not plan to go for chemotherapy; knowing th side-effects as we wanted to seek more opinions from professionals and sufferers who have gone through this process.

Through slip of tongue, I overheard the doctor saying that if my alpha feto protein drop by half of 3400, there is no need to go for chemotheraphy. When the blood test show alpha feto at 1600, it actually dropped more than half. However, he still insist on chemotheraphy with his reason that cyst size is alarming. I'm generally ok and have good appetite. I don't understand why certain doctors can be so money-minded by using scare-tactic to induce patient.

Generally, i don't feel anything wrong with my body anymore compared to before surgery, as the weekly blood test has been very very good overall. I've very good appetite, slept early and is keeping to strict green diet; minimal oil with fish as source of protein.

I hope any of you out there could offer some kind opinions. I'm only 24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Ovarian Cancer stage 1

(((leelyne)))

I can't offer any advice as I've not been in your place. But perhaps the reason the doctor was urging your to get the chemo was to er on the side of caution, especially with someone so young wanting to have children.

I'm glad your feeling better and I hope someone who knows about these things can offer you some advice.

hugs,
Lilly
Unread 04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Ovarian Cancer stage 1

Hello and welcome

I had epithelial cancer which is a whole different ballgame. Here are some websites that discuss treatment for germ cell tumors. Germ cell tumors cover a wide range of of types of tumors and each type has a different treatment recomendation, so it is hard to say what to do without extemsive knowledge of the specific pathology.

The repoers below seem to indicate that without followup chemo, there is a 25% chance of recurrance, but that the recurrances can be treated.

http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/germcell.cfm

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/pdq...al/#Section_33

I would get a second, and even a third opinion from a gyn onc or an oncologist specializing in ovarian cancer before making a decision.

Best wishes --

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks

Thanks DorrieL & StargazerLily, I'm now on course to recovering as blood test shown no tumour and the AFP marker gone down to 785. I'm still sticking to strict green diet until everything is back to normal. While private hospital is still too business oriented, I'll be seeking opinion from government-run non-profit hospitals.

Luv.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register