Help !! Too young for this :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help !! Too young for this :( Help !! Too young for this :(

Unread 04-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Help !! Too young for this :(

Hi (( Katia )) & welcome to HysterSisters! You've found a wonderful place for support, understanding & advice from those who have been there The women that make up our community are some of the most caring, compassionate & loving women I've had the pleasure of knowing. They've helped me personally thru some very trying times....

You've been thru so very much As you stated in your title, in which I agree, are soo young to have experienced & suffered more than many do in a lifetime or 2 <sigh> Hopefully, you can find some answers & relief to those issues & get back to getting on with your life minus the symptoms & health concerns
I am unable to take any HRT also...mine is due to a Blood-Clotting disorder that wasnt dx'd until after my Hyst 4 yrs ago. I did keep my left Ovary but due to an altercation in it's blood supply it ceased to function! Which, of course left me in Surgical Menopause.
As ((Linda & Marl)) shared about the Desert Forum, it is where I post along with hundreds of others who are suffering the symptoms & searching for relief from the symptoms of Menopause...w/o the benefits of HRT. The gals there have/had Cancer, Blood disorders, Endometriosis, Health risks ect...so are also unable to use HRT as well. If you get a chance, pls stop by....I have learned so much and received support along with the feeling of knowing I'm not alone in this battle; all which have been of comfort & help in getting thru this. Here is the link:

No-Hormone Desert Oasis

There are also several other Resources here that contain info on ways to supplement HRT when able to use it. Here are a few other excellent articles/info that have been of a great benefit to me in helping to alleviate the many symptoms/conditions that Menopause can bring on. I so hope one of them can be of some aid to you also:

Vaginal atrophy: prevention & treatment methods;
  Quote:
  • Avoid using scented soaps and rinse thoroughly when washing the genitalia.
  • Avoid the use of antihistamines, decongestants or other drying medications.
**VITAMIN E used as a vaginal lubricant/moisturizer is well-documented as effective (insert a gel-cap into the vagina and let it dissolve and absorb—best done at night).
The external use of creams made with calendula, comfrey or other soothing herbals may help…if you are not allergic to them.
Oatmeal baths are a classic for soothing skin complaints of all sorts.
Commercial lubricants can help during sex, but may not do as much as vitamin E for general moisturizing.
Vaginal tissue health is a use-it-or-lose thing, in which regular intercourse or masturbation can greatly combat atrophy.
Zinc and evening primrose oil are said to contribute to vaginal tissue health.
Black Cohosh for Hotflashes, Depression and Vaginal Atrophy

Women who cant use Hormones
  Quote:
There are things you can do to keep your vaginal tissues healthy during and after menopause, including:

Lubricants and moisturizers:
are very important for sexually active women. If you have vaginal atrophy, sexual intercourse may also be uncomfortable or painful.

Surface lubricants: For added wetness during lovemaking, consider using one of the water-based surface lubricants meant for the genital area. These products are applied before lovemaking..

Vaginal moisturizers:
If a surface lubricant is not enough, you may want to try a vaginal moisturizer. Vaginal moisturizers are nonhormonal products that are inserted into the vagina regularly.

Increase sexual activity:
Women who participate in sexual activity regularly have fewer symptoms of vaginal atrophy than do sexually inactive women. Lubrication in response to sexual stimulation, and to increase vaginal elasticity and vaginal pliability.

Other suggestions:
  • Don't use powders, perfumes, deodorants or scented soaps in the vaginal area.
  • Avoid panty liners, tight clothing and synthetic fabrics.
  • Stay hydrated—drink lots of water.
  • Avoid antihistamines and other medications that might be drying.
  • Quit smoking! Vaginal atrophy is more severe in women who smoke.

For more detailed info and other prevention & treatment options click here:

Lifestyle Modifications to aid in symptoms relief
Good Luck with everything Pls know my prayers will be with you that you can find some much needed relief soon. I do hope you will continue to post & share on how your doing......(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 08:09 PM

One thing be sure of , you have sisters. I got flagged down to come and see what I could offer. I see Sheri has provided links to the main stuff I know about it.

Tamoxifen makes atrophic vaginitis worse, so you might ask if there are alternatives if you are taking it (raloxifene for instance). Antidepressants also tend to dry things out.

An alternative to Replens recommended at Medscape is Moist Again Vaginal Moisturizing Gel with Aloe Vera--it has a different chemical composition so might be better.

Don't use black cohosh with breast cancer. There are some very preliminary but disturbing indications that that might be a problem--depending on the way it's prepared.

Kegel exercises increase blood flow to the immediate area.

Evening primrose oil however is not a phytoestrogen. It works because it provides a chemical we can usually make ourselves but with hormonal disturbances we might stop making--GLA. It works because it is a prostaglandin 1 precursor and decreases inflammation. Take it with vitamin E and fish. There's more at www.hormonejungle.com/primrose.php

For vitamin E--use natural (it's a different chemical) or best Mixed tocopherols if you can find them. It's the most likely form to work.

Chasteberry lowers prolactin levels. That might actually be good for lowering risks. High prolactin levels are associated with atrophic vaginitis, so it might work--but I would check with the doc first.

wash your underwear in pure soap, such as castile soap or olive-oil based soap, and avoid detergents and biological powders

I pasted this into the No-Hormone Desert a while back. I found it at WebMD and the suggestions crop up on other sites too..--

Atrophic vaginitis
1. antihistamines, decongestants, any drying drug make it worse.
2. perineal wash once a day--rinse the vulva with a quart of plain water--open labia with one hand and spray from a squirt bottle or pour it slowly from the corner of a square container.
3. Calendula, comfrey, or St. John's Wort creams may decrease the burning, itching. Once or twice a week externally.
4. Replens hydrates for 2-3 days.
5. Petroleum based products can foster infections so avoid them.
6. Naturapaths recommend olive oil, wheat germ oil, or sesame oil. A square quilted cotton makeup pad is soaked in one of these oils, squeezed out and inserted in the vagina over night once a week.
7. Vaginal itching can be eased with an oatmeal bath--cooked oatmeal placed in a strainer and held under the tap as the tub fills. Also can buy a natural colloidal oatmeal product.
8. Yogurt (that's eating the yogurt) helps maintain vaginal pH. Acidophilus can be in capsules, but requires refrigeration to be active.
9. Chasteberry, as a tea, can revitalize vaginal tissue.
10. Zinc, 15 mg/day--also in wheat germ, seafood, meat, and oats.
11. Evening primrose oil (GLA) may help

Most of all, know that you are cared for.

Unread 04-08-2004, 08:57 PM

Hi Katia

If the Vitamin E doesn't work, give almond oil a go. Vitamin E burns me a little whereas the almond oil doesn't. We're all different. Just put some on your finger and insert into the vagina. You have to buy it in bottles as it's not made in capsules (well, I haven't been able to find any). It's a bit messy but it's worth a try.

Hope you find something that gives you relief. It's a real nightmare this vaginal atrophy (I know!!!).

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 03:21 PM
sheri, trish and silver fern

OH wow you guys are so awesome.. THank you ALL.. all of you who have posted... for your time and ideas and kindess... this has truly been a bloody nightmare... i had so many surergies that there is a ton of scar tissue in there now and since i firts posted i have been back and forth to my docs making sure i can or can not sue this and that.. bottom line..there is no room in the vagina... whether it be from scar tissue pushing downon it, atrophy or both its so dry and closed off that they ( oncologist and gynecologist ) finally agreed on estring.. let me say this thing is killing me...pushing, cramping and opening these walls absolutley is hell.. they are so worried about infection or vaginal cancer that they are willing to give me a tiny bit of estrogen in the estring to offset what could be worse than a reoccurance of breast cancer..

many of the things you all suggested i have tried and failed... dont laugh.. ok laugh it was a bit funny.. i even made hubby donate his sperm and i shot it in there with a eye dropper to help the PH levels only to find i burned like crazy...

i am not sure if im a whipe or what, after all i have been through i consider myself pretty gutzy but this estring *****... they tell me its meant to open the area, hold open the walls...and im thinking.... hmmm maybe this sex thing is overrated anyway... i mean i could get used to no sex... im a mom, a busy mom... i coulod make excuxses... then i keep thinking.. for another 40 years ?

im really done with this... they say to keep estring in there for 90- days but i can get past the 1st week...

for now unless i come up with another way to oepn these walls this is my last option and as a young mom im pretty upset....

thanks so much for all of you being so wonderful.. im going to look at what i havent done yet that you suggested and see if it helps at all...

your all wonderful thanks so much
Katia
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi there,

You just talked about my absolute worst nightmare in the whole world, and that's not ever having sex again. I was daignosed with cervical cancer on St. Patty's day and read everything I could possibly find on the internet about it. Long story short - this sounds gross, but - worst case scenario the cancer could spread to my vagina and they would have to remove it - but - they would replace the vagina with a piece of intestine - the idea - you still have a clitorus for stimulation and with lubrication you still have a place for your DH. Sorry, I don't know what web sight I read that on - don't know if it's hearsay - just a thought.

I wish you the best of luck and feel for you tremedously.
Margo
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:50 AM
margo

thank you for your concern and friendship. i cant even imagine another surgery or a cancer reoccurance anywhere...i dont even wnat to think about this... ill do all i can to make this estring thing work and take the advice fo the ladies here and pray that it all
works...but if bty chance somthing down the line happens and i stare cancer in the face ill do all i can to kick its butt and worry about the rest later... thanks for writing margo
Katia
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:15 AM

Hi Katia,

I wanted you to know that you are not alone. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Sharon
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Re: Help !! Too young for this :(

Hi Katia!
I didn't start with this awful perdicament as young as you but I was 31 and pregnant. I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in left breast. At 3 months pregnant had a radical mastectomy. After giving birth to my wonderful son who had a birth defect of a bilateral cleft lip and palate. More complications to our life... I started chemo and radiation. My cancer was invasive lobular carcinoma stage 2. 2.5 years out my oncologist talked me into a preventitive mastectomy on right side and cancer was already there. Modified mastectomy with reconstruction. Chemo and radiation and again stage 2. Had issues with reconstruction which involved more surgeries. I will mention I wasn't pleased with results of reconstuction. I did ok for 5 years and good grief my husband got nasal farengeal cancer! So he went through intensive radiation and chemo at the same time. I felt awful for him. At this time is ok thank god! Then for my 40th birthday I got a swollen abdoman. I went to a doctor who had all sorts of emergency tests and imaging done. I needed a complete hysterectomy with exploritory surgery. Tumor markers are elevated. So I went in on 3/2/04 for surgery again. They found a breast cancer tumbor stage 4 in my abdoman that had spread to surfaces of ovaries, tubes and uterus and they removed everything. I had small multifocal spots on intestines they couldn't remove and I started chemo 3 weeks after hysterectomy. I had my 2nd chemo treatment last week. I never was told anything about issues you are going through now. Probably due to the same reasons as you that it is low on the totem pole as far as priority right now. I will bring it up when I see my GP next. I kind of feel my Gynie put me out to pasture with the surgery results. I do have some issues with the hysterectomy such as an occasional burning sensation. No infection. My bladder has a total different sensation when it is full. Not like before surgery. Now it is like I am just uncomforatable. It is hard to describe. I also have a strange urethra sensation when I wipe after urinating. I don't know if the chemo has slowed healing or what. My belly is like a huge bowl of jello. I had a HUGE lateral incision. 40 staples to close. I have been a very active person and since my surgery I am now a couch potatoe. I'm sure chemo contributes but the belly thing really bothers me. Especially since I have lost 18 lbs. since the hysterectomy doing nothing activity wise. I eat like a horse and still don't gain weight. I just started getting hot flashes. Not to awful as of yet... Did you have this jelly belly issue or loose weight? I am afraid to have sex due to wondering if I am healed enough and chemo. It's been 7 weeks out from Hysterectomy now. Do you guys think I should try? Katia my heart goes out to you and I have a pretty good idea what you are going through. I take one day at a time and keep pushing forward. Basically throw the cancer and other issues aside and keep going. Denial..maybe but I am not ready to give in to any of it. I have to think positive and keep going or I will fall I think. Hold on to your faith I'm with you honey!
Best Wishes,
z00ma
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
zooma

Oh wow zooma you have been through hell and back.. you poor thing./.. i really dont know why some suffer more than others but know you are in our thoughts and prayers..both you and your wonderful family.... i did go into full menopause with the hot flashes etc and i was going nuts there for a while but things seem to have subsided a bit now...one thing at a time... as far as the belly i had never had a waist before chemo i was always hippy and busty but now i have a round belly im not impresed with... still its the least of my worrys right now...im just greatfull for each day and no reoccurance .... thanks for writing and for sharing your story.. please take good care of yourself... you poor thing you have been through too much... id love to hear from you again please let us know how you are..
Katia
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:23 AM

Dear Katia,

I am also 38, and was diagnosed with cancer at 37. Though the last year of surgery and chemo was hard, I have not remotely been through what you have. I'm so sorry!

I think the women here have provided some great suggestions. You might also consider checking with an accupuncturist or herbalist to see if they have some thoughts. It couldn't hurt. When traditional medicine fails, I believe it is necessary to look for alternative options.

As for Replens, I don't know much about it. My new boyfriend and I have been using a lubricant (when needed) called Eros (super-concentrated bodyglide). I have a tendency to be very sensitive to anything perfumed or chemically, but this unscented product isn't bothering me at all, and is helpful when needed. Just a thought.

I wish I had more to offer. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you. s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register