internal staples - problems 3 yrs post | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

internal staples - problems 3 yrs post internal staples - problems 3 yrs post

Unread 04-04-2004, 06:01 PM
internal staples - problems 3 yrs post

I can't believe I am back again, but thank goodness I know where to come for advice after all this time!

I had lavh 01 endo/adeno/fibroids, oopherectomy 03 due to adhesions and cysts. Since December last year I have had chronic pelvic pain yet again. Have had another colonoscopy, endoscopy which were clear.

So 2 days ago was back in the castle for another lap (I think the 5th but I lost count now).

As usual I got the lowdown from the surgeon while I was still drugged up to the eyeballs so I didn't ask any questions.

He did find some adhesions which he "fixed".

He also told me he found inflammation around the internal staples and removed them.

Has anyone else ever had problems with internal staples - and after such a long time? Seems so strange to me. I don't think I was even aware I had staples inside!

He also said he "moved" my bladder but I don't know what he meant - where did he move it to and why?

I never had a catheter in previous ops but had one this time. Is peeing razor blades a normal feeling after a catheter?

Just my luck he has now gone on vacation and I can't see him for 6 weeks. I shall call his office later today hoping the nurse can at least check my notes and give me some answers.

Am really hoping this is going to be the end of the road for me but its a little early to tell yet.

Major swelly belly pain, shoulder and incision pain right now but these things shall pass. Hopefully I may poop soon too LOL.

love to you all,
Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Oh ((Steph)), I'm sorry to hear you've endured continuing problems I do hope this surgery is the last and will finally bring you some much needed relief !!

During an x-ray sometime back, it was noted that I had surgical clips in the area where my Right Ovary used to be. I had an RSO in March 2000. They have continued to appear on the many imaging test I have done biannually now. I still experience quite abit of pain in that area...I assumed it was from Adhesions I was thinking that the added presence of a foreign object in there it would increase the amount of Adhesion formation plus explain my pain. This is only my thots tho based on previous dx's/surgeries/pain levels & research.
Does you Dr not have someone filling in for him while he is away? Seems like there has to be someone in case one of his patients has an emergency situation?!? Do you have a GP you can call??

As for your bladder, exp. since he stated he "moved it" It can be very temperamental after being touched at all...it is known to act up for many weeks after any type of pelvic or abdominal surgery, a Catheter can irritate it further:-( After each of my surgeries, exp. my Hyst, I had bladder spasms, difficulty w/urinating, a burning sensation and a general achy-type feeling in the area where my Bladder resided. Mine hung around for about 3 months <sigh> I do hope what you are experiencing are affects of your recent surgery and that they will subside with some time Good Luck with your recovery ((Steph))....pls keep us posted on how things are going with you...((((hugs))))
Unread 04-06-2004, 10:51 AM

Hey Steph!!

Great to hear from you, but wish it was under better circumstances. Occassionally I think of you and wonder how you and your Mum are .... and is the lovely Osteo, Hans, still lovely? On some of my bad days I still think of hopping a plane overseas to see if he can do something to help with my adhesions.

So sorry to hear you had to have further surgery. I do think they have always catheterized you for the laps, they just usually put it in after you are out and remove it before you wake up ..well, if they are being kind, that is. I know the first time I pee it usually stings/burns but that seems to get better by the second time and after my lap in January it did not burn at all.

I would definitely mention the burning to the nurse who should be able to help you determine what you can do to make urination more comfortable. Let us know what she says. It might be as simple as calling in the medicine that numbs up your bladder and urethra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 11:46 PM

Hi Sheri and Hi Michelle - thanks so much for replying. I missed you guys, even though I didn't miss the reason for hanging out here so much

I never got notification that you guys had responded so only realised when I came looking - odd?

Michelle - yep Hans is still a hunk according to Mum!

I just knew Sheri would be the first to reply to me *grin* you are a legend.

I am doing a bit better today, got the stitches out which always feels better. So heres the scoop according to phone chat with Dr....

Bowel was adhered to front pelvic wall. Surgical clips had nodules of adhesions and inflammation so were removed (he was so happy to tell em I still had heaps of clips left in LOL). My bladder... he said he cut an inch (divided?) between vaginal wall and bladder and has "put the bladder back where it was supposed to be".

Any idea what the heck that procedure is called? I'd love to find out more but have no clue where to begin looking online. Or maybe its something new he just invented!

I guess he does not want to get my hopes up as he was keen to say he could not be sure this would solve my chronic pain. I hope he is just being cautious, seems to me if he did all that it HAS to fix something right???

Now time for a nap as I overdid it this morning and nearly keeled over in the Post Office - ooops.

love - Steph
Unread 04-07-2004, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I never got notification that you guys had responded so only realised when I came looking - odd?
Hey ((Steph)) ,
You might want to check your Contol Panel for your account here, there is an option to select this as a default so that ALL your post or replies will get a notification email with every reply. It may have accidently turned off...before I exit that page, I always make sure I'm selecting *save*

Quote:
Sheri would be the first to reply to me
I'll look around for a specific procedure such as the one you described above
Thank you for such kind words ((Steph)) I really enjoy my time here, it also allows me to give back some of the awesome support & caring that I was given prior to my own Hyst

If I find anything similar to that procedure, I'll post it here....

(((hugs)))
Unread 04-07-2004, 08:04 AM

Well Steph,

My doc is also really cautious about getting my hopes up. He did say after the last lap that he was hopeful that the lap would take care of the pain, but there was a chance it would not.

Well, the work done in the lap did decrease the pain. I am still having cyclical problems, but think that I can live with it "as is" and have a routine for managing the pain so, I am against any further tinkering - especially against removing my ovaries at this point in time.

I hope that you have even better results than I did. You are right, he did do a lot of work on you and that should improve things!

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Please do take it easy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register