rectocele and pessary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele and pessary rectocele and pessary

Unread 04-05-2004, 08:35 PM
rectocele and pessary

I was wondering if any of you ladies who had the hyst then developed the rectocele after the surgery 3-4 months later as a result from the prolapse and for those of you who you gyn did not think you needed the posterior rectocele repair- and know you need it and are uncomfortable. Have any of you tried wearing the pessary again or try the pessary to see if it helped the rectocele before you returned to the OR or while you were waiting did the pessary help your comfort level? That falling down and bulging pressure in the vagina.

Thank you for any advice or experience here.

Miss Vicky for my mother who is now enroute back to MI to get this business taken care of. First we have to get a new gyn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 10:21 AM
rectocele and pessary

Hi Miss Vicky

From everything that I read when I was Pre-Op and dealing with the Rectocele as well as with the huge fibroid, a pressary and other such devices work best when the prolapse, including the rectocele, is in the early stages (stage 1 or, at the most, stage 2). From everthing that you've described, your mother is most likely in a more advanced stage of prolapse and may not find any relief with the pressary. However, it might be well worth the try, in the hopes of avoiding another surgery so soon after the hyst

Hopefully, someone will come along with personal experience from using a pressary. I never even tried because the rectocele was a Stage 3 and, by then, I'd have enough and was ready for the hyst and repairs.
Unread 04-07-2004, 08:11 PM
To Danny rectocele and pessary

Dany,

Thank you for your note. It never crossed my mind about the pessary not working because the prolapse is so much more prolapsed and bulging if you will. I know my mother tried the pessary orginally for the bladder and uterine prolapse. Hind sind 20-20 is that how you say it we should have never had the vag hsyt just the TVT and the hernia she had. We would not be in this situation we are in now. My mother is now enroute from Florida via a car in pain from the rectocele to get back to MI where we know her internist and the urologist. We just need a new gyn to do the repair and a good experienced one.

My mother is very uncomfortable with her rectocele. She always walks miled daily in their retirment park in Florida. She could not walk at all she rode in the golf cart. They ruined her for now. She is in pain lots of adbominal pain and her belly bloats out with gas. She has diarrhea then constipation. She can't eat right now other then clear liquids or the brat diet.

She said she passed gas today and felt the rectocele drop again. Terrible bowel problems with abdominal pain. Bladder started retaining again another story.

Danny did you have a rectocele like this? If so how do you wait in pain for a new gyn and then wait to get on the surgery schedule. When everyday just standing upright something is falling ie the rectum bulging into the vagina.

Please advice Dany. I know you went through a lot as I have read some of your posts.

Thank you for your time.

Miss Vicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2004, 08:57 PM
rectocele and pessary

Hi (((Miss Vicky)))

In my case, it's hard to say what was caused by the rectocele and what was caused by the fibroids... since it was all happening at the same time

In retrospect, I know that the bulging and feeling of everything falling out were caused by the rectocele, that's a no-brainer. However, I also realize that the constipation/diarrhea were most likely a result of the rectocele and not cause by my chronic IBS, as I assumed it was. Furthermore, it seems that the rectocele caused the really bad back pains I was having and the pains in my hips that were, at that time, attributed to a bursitis (the bursitis, mysteriously, disappeared after my hyst ) And the rectocele was responsible for my having to splint when I had a bm and for that feeling of never being able to empty properly.

I don't remember being in the kind of pain your mother is, but, then again, I wasn't recovering from major surgery while dealing with these symptoms. That could have an impact on her symptoms.

I already had a wonderful OB/GYN by the time the rectocele reared it's ugly head, so that wasn't a problem. However, I did have 3 month wait between the day I scheduled my hyst and the day I headed in the OR. At the time, the worst part was the constant bleeding and it was a long wait. Knowing that the end was in sight made it a little more bearable. But, then again, I didn't have to deal with the type of pain your mother is dealing with.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but, as I mentionned, my situation was a little different. Hopefully, someone with an experience closer to that of your mother's will come along to share some insight.

Hope your mother finds a new, reliable, gyn very soon.
Unread 04-08-2004, 06:54 AM
rectocele and pessary

I have a grade 2 cystocele and a grade 3 rectocele & my pessary has given me back some of my life! It helps me alot. It's by no means perfect & I'm not pain free but it helps. There's no down side to trying it, you can take it out & reinsert it with some pratice & it gives you time to make a good decision/get another opinion.
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:39 PM
not sitting

Thank you for your reply. Grade 3 Rectocele- did you have a lot of problems with the bowels and abdominal pain. The diarrehea and consipation I know are from the rectocele. What is troubling is my mother is having trouble everytime she eats solid foods - she eats gets abdominal cramping and spasm.

They got home from Florida today. They are seeing their internist tomorrow. CAT scan is next. If my mother can't eat then I am thinking they may admit her to the hospital for IV fluids.

The nurse who does the pessary thing - does not have appt. open until May 11th. My mother is going to call her and leave a message on her personal phone mail and see if she will work her in. That is promising though you had grade 3 and the pessary helped. Something to buy somewhat if you will "comfort" time until surgery is done.

Did you have a colonrectal surgeon do your surgery? Was your cele after a hyst?

Thank you kindly,

Miss Vicky
Unread 04-09-2004, 10:48 PM
rectocele and pessary

I don't have too many problems with my bowels, except sometimes having to "assist" by using vaginal pressure. I haven't had my 'celes fixed yet...4/26 is the day for that. My surgeon is a uro-gyn who does a lot of pelvic floor surgeries. I never had any problems until I had my TVH 6/03. Since then I have had pain and feelings of pressure in my vagina unless I am lying down. From what I can gather, I probably had some degree of prolapse before my hyst which went "unnoticed" by my first surgeon, who then had no explanation/didn't care about my symptons post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register