Three years ago this week...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three years ago this week...... Three years ago this week......

Unread 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Three years ago this week......

I had the pelvic ultrasound that changed my life forever.
I clearly remember laying on the table as the tech began to probe my abdomen. My tumors were so large that a vaginal US was not necessary.
The tech said: "Since you are a nurse, and I know you won't panic, I will show you...."
At that moment I knew without a doubt what my diagnosis was!
And that tech was wrong about me not panicking!! I was all alone and I remember fighting off the urge to hyperventilate.
Those moments were the scariest of my entire cancer journey.

My own ob/gyn quickly had me on his operating room schedule in the small community hospital where I worked. It took one day for my sisters to bring me to my senses about that decision.
Early the next week I consulted with a gyn oncologist at at major cancer center in Phila. My lab work showed a ca 125 in the 900's, a hgb of 9, a WBC of 30,000 and a platelet count of one million.
No wonder I had been feeling poorly. I was 49 years old and figured perhaps I had started some menopausal changes.

My surgery was delayed for seven weeks while they hunted for a reason for my dangerously high platelets.
Surgery lasted about six hours. My dear surgeon left no cancer behind that could be seen with the human eye.
I finished chemo in mid October 2001 and have been dancing with NED ever since. My checkups are now every four months.
I get my testing done a few days before my doctor visit.
I like getting the results while I am face to face with the doc.
No phone news for me please.
I still feel quite anxious during those days between testing and getting results. You could say I kinda live in my own zone during those days.

If given the choice, I would take life BC back in a flash.
But since it is not an option, I must say that cancer has brought some of the very best people into my life. Including cyber friends.
My own way of coping has been to get very involved in the NOCC and OCNA organizations. Or just trying to give a louder voice to this whispering disease.

I wrote my anniversary post in the hopes of inspiring someone newly diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Even someone with advanced disease like me. Life does get wonderful again!!!

oxoxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 12:56 PM

CONGRATULATIONS kARENANN!!!

YOU ARE DEFINATELY MY INSPIRATION AND MENTOR!!

APRIL 18TH IS MY 2 YEARS ANNIVERSARY OF MY HYSTERECTOMY AND DIAGNOSIS.

I LOVE FOLLOWING IN YOUR PATH.

ROSALIE
Unread 04-06-2004, 01:25 PM

Congratulations on reaching your third cancerversary this week, Karen!

It was very nice to have the opportunity to meet you at the UPenn Gyn CA Conference on Friday!

As we both heard reiterated at that conference, the most important thing a women with ANY gyn cancer can do to ensure the best outcome possible is to be treated by an experienced gynecologic oncologist. You were very fortunate and wise to have taken that crucial first step!

Continued good health to you.

Congratulations as well to Rosalie on your second cancerversary on April 18th!

We appear to have a lot of April milestones on CC. I was also diagnosed on April 26th and will be coming up on 5 years.

Best regards,

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 01:45 PM

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 3rd ANNIVERSARY!!

It sounds like you have helped many people since your diagnosis & are an inspiration for others to keep on fighting.

Have a wonderful year & we'll look forward to your 4th - and many more - anniversaries.
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:27 PM

Nothing else to say except you are brilliant.
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:29 PM

Karenann,

These poignant anniversaries are certainly a time to reflect on how our lives have been changed by a cancer diagnosis. You have much to celebrate on this, your third anniversary, for you are definitely making a positive difference in the fight against OVCA - you are giving a much 'louder voice to this whispering disease'. You are such a strong example of courage to us here.

And, Rosalie, you are a great source of comfort to your HysterSisters on this board. May you have many more anniversaries here.

And, also, MoeKay, another April anniversary, and five years!! Wow! That always gets my spirits up when people reach these milestones. And, you, like Karenann, are a tremendous source of knowledge on cancer related issues, and such a strong advocate in the fight against cancer, and getting the knowledge of the fight against gyn cancers into the public arena.

Ladies, you are all great!!

(By the by, now that I think about it, it was April for me, too, of last year, when I was finally properly diagnosed).

big s to you all
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:41 PM

Congratulations Karenann!!!

Three years and many more to you. You are a good cyber friend to me and many others here. Bless you.

Please go out and celebrate. You certainly deserve it.

's

Ruth S:
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Karen,
Your story is so inspiring and you and your son have done so much to raise awareness. Thank you for being here and for being a calm voice of wisdom when I have needed it, you have forged the way for many of us on the cancer journey.
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:19 PM

Karen

Congratulations on your 3rd anniversary!!!

We are so lucky to have you here. Personally, I have been inspired by you...I'm sure many other women have been too.

Thanks for all that you do for your Hystersisters!

S and
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Happy Third Anniversary!!!

How fortunate you got a gyn/onc! Now we'll be celebrating the 30th in 27 years more, providing the technology isn't out of date and Hysters is still here.

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register