And The Mystery Is Solved | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

And The Mystery Is Solved And The Mystery Is Solved

Unread 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
And The Mystery Is Solved

I saw the new oncologist today... Nice lady but not like Dr. V.

Anyway, I found that my old oncologist decided to go back to school for a master's degree in something dealing with human relations. She will be attending Columbia University and working part time in a different hospital.( not as good as the one I go to).

I was told that it was a very fast decision and that everyone was very sorry to see her leave. But at least she is going onto bigger and better things.

As far as my visit.... uneventful, which is good. Exam was totally normal, blood work was normal BUT ca125 is now up to 25.
I was very concerned she was not. Three monts ago it was 20. Her reaction to me was, as long as it is in the normal range all is good. She also said that from day to day our blood numbers can change and so can our ca125 number.

I guess I will have to take her word on this and just relax a little. She told me to come back in 4 months but I think that I will be changing oncologists again but within this same group.

Thanks for listening.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Rosalie,
Congratulations! Sounds like a good report! Your numbers sound wonderful!

Why would your doctor leave NOW to begin a master's program? Classes at Columbia don't begin again until September! Why the rush NOW? Sounds like the problem was more than she wanted to get another degree. There was some kind of problem with her and that practice. Perhaps she was sued, or didn't get a long with the other docs in the practice. My guess is that they aren't telling you the whole truth, but it doesn't really matter. If she's gone, she's gone. Chances are that you won't have to see any doctor more than 3 times a year from now on. That's great news!!

Janie
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:16 PM
be wary of "normal range"

Hi Rosalie,
I am suprised you got a story at all! Doc's don't usually like to share that kind of information.

I don't know much about the ca125 numbers, but be wary of any doc that tells you that you are ok as long as you are in the "normal" range.

I have known many people that have been in "within normal range" on blood work and other things and were still sick and showing symptoms of their problem. I am always very wary of "normal" and what that range entails.

For example, my dh was showing signs of being anemic and very low iron levels in his blood. Getting very tired when barely excercising at all. (he has had this problem before, from donating blood too frequently)...however the test's showed "normal range". When we asked for the test results to be faxed to us, it was obvious that he was on the extremely low, bottom basement end of normal. See, that's why he was showing symptoms.

I don't want to worry you or cause you stress. I just wanted you to be very careful of what that means. I always ask for copies of all blood work just for this reason.

I am so glad you have found someone new. I know that is stressful when you lose a doc that you have so much faith in for so long. Almost as bad as losing your hairdresser!

Hope you have continued sucess!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 02:26 PM

Hi Joyce,

Fortunately I am not showing any signs of anything going wrong.

In Feb. I saw my oncologist/gynocologist and the exam was perfect. To me that means more than the ca125 number.

And todays exam being normal also leads me to believe that my number will just fluctuate whenever it wants to.

Happy Passover all observing the holiday.
Rosalie
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Rosalie,
I am so glad to hear that all of your exams went so well!

I did not mean to scare you or discount any of what you have been thru.

I almost did not leave that message before, but I have known too many people that have had problems with "normal" blood work, not to say anything.

Glad you are well and I hope things continue on with more of the same. Cheers to good health and hapiness!! Please forgive me if I upset you.
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:46 PM

Oh Joyce,,,,

No No No,,,,, you did not upset me. Actually you are very right.

I am very much aware of what you are saying but for the past 2 years I have been seeing my oncologist/gynocologist and regular oncologist every three months and my appointments are not at the same time so I have only one month inbetween where I see no one. This was I feel more secure.

Thank you for caring.
Rosalie
Unread 04-06-2004, 02:46 PM

Rosalie
Congratulations on your negative exams. I am very glad you are not concerned with your counts. As long as your exams are normal and your doctors are confident, then a count below the normal range does not have to be a concern for you.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. Go out and celebrate. You deserve it!!

's

Ruth S
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:13 PM

Congratulations on a normal exam. Normal is a wonderful word isnt it. Too bad you don't know what your CA 125 number was all your life before you had cancer and then you would be more at ease with all the fluctuations. Have a wonderful Easter
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Envious of that 25

Numbers do jump around and are just that--numbers. If your last exam was good and you feel good--that's what counts. I agree it's odd about your onc. Be sure you get a Dr. in the practice you're comfortable with.
Unread 04-06-2004, 07:04 PM

Rosalie,

Congratulations! I hope you're going to do something nice for yourself to celebrate! I think we cancer survivors find more reasons to celebrate than anyone else--with good reason.

May that number stay boring and normal forever!

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register