Nervous about not caring for my own children | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about not caring for my own children Nervous about not caring for my own children

Unread 04-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Nervous about not caring for my own children

I have never done this, but I really want to know from your experience - I am 32 and need to know realistically, how long do I need childcare? I am having a LAVH and several repairs for cystocele, rectocele and something else. Apparently I am also bringing home a supra catheter. Will I be in bed the whole first week? I have no family (besides DH) to help me and am concerned about how much help to ask for from my friends. Thanks for your input! Oh, yes, I am also terrified of this whole thing!

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2004, 05:42 AM

Hi JB,

First question: how old are your kids? I had a TAH and was definitely a total couch potato for the first two weeks. A lot of that was because of the lingering effects of the anesthesia and pain meds. I slept more than I was awake. And I didn't take even half of the pain meds that I had a prescription for. The body needs a lot of energy to repair itself after major surgery, and this is one reason for needing so much sleep.

If your kids are small enough that they need to be lifted, that is probably going to be a no-no for a few weeks. Be sure to check with your DR about weight restrictions (as far as lifting), especially since you're having repairs too.

When I had my surgery my grandson was 9 months old. I care for him from 8-5 M-F while my DD works. The first week after surgery DH took a vacation so he could take care of the baby. DS was home on vacation from school the next week to watch him. After that, from week 3 til my DR cleared me to resume all activities at about 7 weeks, my Mom came every day to help. If it hadn't been for the lifting part I think I would have been ok after about 3 weeks with him. I did still need a nap every afternoon though, that lasted through 6 weeks, and after that if I was out and about during the morning I also needed a nap.

I hope this helps!
Unread 04-07-2004, 06:27 AM

ummmmmmmmm i know how you feel.......i am 32 "for a few more days anyhow" and have 4 kids 12 to 5...i have a wonderful bf...even so it is a HUGE amount of work i am "expecting" him ,them,whoever to do.....i figure i am going to just chill and "make" myself stay in bed i know it will be hard but hey EVERYONE says thats so very nessary to our bodys healing.better to heal now then to over do it and it just take longer in the end........so *deep breath* i figure we must stay busy.......so i am thinking i might learn how to sew..........lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 07:00 AM

HIya sisters,
I am also rather worried aboaut childcare, I have 3 kids, aged 4, 3 and 17 months, all very hard work. I have a fantastic hubby, who always does as much as he can, but he is only going to be able to have a short time off work, while i am in hospital, once i get home, i am a bit stuck for help. Figured Im gonna go cook crazy and stock the freezer with meals that can just be heated up! My eldest two are pretty good, and very independant, able to get themselves food and drink, so thats not a problem, but my youngest, at just 17 months, is dependant on me, and is also a very demanding little madam, constantly having to be held and carried. Aslo worried about school, at the mo, the eldest two are at preschool, but come september, they start at primary. My concerns are that, as yet i doint have a surgery date, and its entirely possible ( and the way my luck goes, even probable ) that the surgery will coinside with the start of the new school year. Dreading being too ill to take my babies to their first day at " real school", and have decided to take the precaution of starting to buy in the uniforms now, so that i dont have to panic about that side of things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register