I got GREAT news & I got really crappy news: heavy bleeders unite!!! (kinda gross) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I got GREAT news & I got really crappy news: heavy bleeders unite!!! (kinda gross) I got GREAT news & I got really crappy news: heavy bleeders unite!!! (kinda gross)

Unread 04-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I got GREAT news & I got really crappy news: heavy bleeders unite!!! (kinda gross)

The good news is that my biopsy came back negative, which was a huge relief as I've lost two aunts to cervical and ovarian cancer in the last few years.

The NOT so great news is that my dr is pushing ablation really hard as well as bcp's. Neither one of these options "to me" are valid as they both have cancer risks that I'm not willing to take.

She said that my insurance might not pay for a hysterectomy if we've not tried "something" before the hysterectomy. I called them and they said that if there was a medical reason for the surgery then it was covered.

Obviously this dr has never been doing dishes and have had a huge blood clot push out a fresh super-ultra tampon, slide past an overnight pad and down her leg onto the top of her foot before. OR layed in bed for several days outta the month in agony. OR been so anemic that she can't even keep up with normal life!!! Certainly she's never had her bathroom look like a crime scene or cut a night out on the town short because of a huge gush of blood!!!

I'm angry! I don't WANT any stinkin progesterone cream, I was to dump this malfunctioning uterus and a cervix to boot!!

I thanked her for her concern, but told her my mind was made up. She asked me to think about the progesterone cream and the ablation she had been cramming down my throat. I told her I would just so I would have time to call my insurance company.

I was so looking forward to being done with this mess forever and now the dr is giving me crap. I've never been a wait and see kinda girl...I'm more of a bottom line...isolate the problem and take immediate action kinda girl.

I'm anemic (8), bleed all the time now, cramping and utterly exhausted....THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH!!!!!!!

whew...i feel better....

Lilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I got GREAT news & I got really crappy news: heavy bleeders unite!!! (kinda gross)

My uterine biopsy came back negative. I had the ablation in Nov. Even though my periods are of a lighter flow, they're still lasting 15 days...even after the ablation. I'm still clotting, but the clots aren't as big. I understand what you're going through. I've had blood spatter all over the bathroom floor when I remove a tampon. It's horrible. I would go for the hyst, too. I would tell your doc that you're not happy with ablation and tell her that if she's not willing to do the hyst, that you'll find a doctor who will. I'm not satisfied with 15 days of bleeding per month. I was soooooo disappointed when my ablation didn't work. Good luck!

Jenny, 32
Unread 04-07-2004, 02:13 PM

Lilly, I can relate!
I too know the joy of a brand new tampon being pushed out by a clot that vaguely resembles the state of TX...and the sound that a gush of blood makes when it hits a tile floor in an upscale department store in the lingerie department.....
My Dr was just the opposite, she was right on the numbers, she said to get the TAH and be done with it...and of course my DH says I did not "explore my options". That's because I was too flipping tired from working all day and cleaning all night all the while blowing through 3-4 boxes of overnight pads in a 10 day stretch and waking myself up every hour all night so I don't ruin the Sealy Perfect Sleeper.
Sorry, it feels really good to vent to someone who knows what I mean and doesn't label me a "drama queen"!!!!!!This is my last period, surgery is 4/22, so of course I started bleeding last Sat and still going strong, it has to make sure it makes me miserable one more time! But revenge will be mine! Along with new, unstained underwear.

Keep the faith ladies, it has to get better than this!

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Lilly, have you considered getting one or more additional medical opinions? It sounds as if you aren't completely confident in this doctor. If you're not, before you agree to procedures which may or may not help you, please get at least one more medical opinion.

I did lots of research before my hysterectomy, and I wasn't impressed with the success rate of ablations. I ended up getting three medical opinions before my surgery. All three doctors agreed that I needed a hysterectomy, although they didn't agree about what type of hysterectomy I needed.

I'm so glad I did the research and got the opinions. I'm also glad I didn't rush into surgical procedures which might or might not have helped me. Unless you're quite confident in your doctor, and your doctor's recommendations, please continue to seek other opinions. It's worth it!

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-07-2004, 02:34 PM

been there and done that!!!

I had ablation done in 2001 - periods got better bleeding wise from gushing to what is normal for some people 10-12 days went down to 4-5 but cramps and endo symptoms got worse. 18 months later I had the hyst.

They told me the same thing when I had the ablation, well I can't take hormones, bcp or anything synthetic, already suffer from migraines, low blood pressure and smoke.

Its terrible how insurance is in control not we the sufferers. I would go for a second opinion and if your insurance company says they will cover you should have the right to make the ultimate decision to have the surgery.

Hope things work out for you!!!!

jody

remember we here understand and can relate to all of it!!!!!!
Unread 04-07-2004, 05:35 PM

I've been there too. I guess I am lucky my dr tried the ablation but my uterus was to large so he ended up only doing a d & c. When I went back one week later for a check up he said that I may have to have a hysterectomy in a few months if the d & c didn't help. I told him I didn't want to wait any longer and so I'm schudled for the 27 of April. It's almost over.

I really think that I would get a second opion though. There has to be a dr out there that will not give you greif over your choice. After all it is your body and you should be the one to say what you want.
Unread 04-07-2004, 05:45 PM

StargazerLily:
Your bathroom looks like a crime scene and she wants you to rub cream on yourself - yeah that might help - NOT!!!*punch*
Tell her about your insurance paying for the procedure! I think I would get a different doctor who didn't want me to bleed to death or suffer anymore.
Let us know!
Hugs Diane
Unread 04-07-2004, 08:53 PM

All really great advice ladies and thanks for understanding my "vent". Glad to know there are others out there in the same spot as me.

I'm going to call her office tomorrow and tell her about the insurance...see if she will consent to the hyster. If not, I'll go on to find a doctor who will help me dump this albotross of a uterus!!!

Hugs,
Lilly
Unread 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM

my current Dr saw me through one DnC , laparascopy , hormone treatment and now the hysterectomy . hes a great guy . He consented to get the hysterectomy done after we had a long discussion ( i was admitted for the 2nd time in 30 days for pain and period problems) .. I hope you will have the good luck to find someone as understanding

mei
Unread 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM

I too had a thermal ablation in Nov 2002 for heavy bleeding that was sending me to the bathroom every 30 minutes to change both the pad & tampon. The Dr who "pushed" the procedure down my throat wouldn't even consider the hyster, even though I was miserable & my tubes had been tied.

He felt that I "would benefit from the procedure & that there had been wonderful results" for other women. At the time I was on an HMO insurance plan & they wouldn't approve the hyster unless there had been other procedures tried. The ablation didn't work. The periods weren't any lighter or shorter & the cramps were worse than ever! I had to wait for a change in insurance plans b/4 I could go to the one DR that I knew would do the hyster.

I would get a 2nd opinion. Most insurance plans cover 2nd opinion consultations. If the 2nd opinion doesn't give you the hyster, I would keep trying until I found a DR that will do it. This is your body, your life & you have the right to a healthy life without any embarrassment.

The DR who did my hyster always said that it was an option to me & she never once backed down from that stance. She did suggest using other methods of "treating the symptoms", but in the end she said it was my decision ... (1) treat the symptoms or (2) definitive. I chose DEFINITIVE & it was a choice I never even thought twice about.

Ratt1962 (Renee)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register