setstion of cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

setstion of cyst setstion of cyst

Unread 04-07-2004, 04:51 PM
setstion of cyst

Hello,

I had my hysterectomy November of 2002, everything but my left ovary and tube were taken out. I now have had my 2nd US due to a cyst. The cyst seems to have gotten smaller but there is septation(????). Any information on this would be very helpful. What I've been reading doesn't sound so good.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM
setstion of cyst

Candykane: I had a septated cystadenoma removed in 1997. Cystadenomas are benign tumors, but there seems to be some disagreement about whether they can be pre-cancerous, so they're usually removed. There's some concern that the septated ones may be more of a long-term cancer risk, but that doesn't mean that a septated cyst is cancerous.

Here's what my experience was like: I had pain with orgasm for several months, so my doctor ordered an ultrasound that revealed the septated cystadenoma. She referred me to a GYN, who repeated the ultrasound and did three cancer-antigen tests (CA-125 and two others). The cyst had not grown and the antigen tests were all within normal ranges, so the surgery wasn't an emergency, but my GYN (plus my family doc and another GYN I saw) strongly suggested that the cyst be removed. I had it taken out a couple of months after the diagnosis and did fine after that (well, except for getting endometriosis a few years later, but that's a different story ...)

Good luck with all this. Ovarian growths can be scary, and should never be ignored, but the good news is that a lot of these things can be detected through ultrasound, and removed while they're benign.

Best wishes,
Juliepede
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
setstion of cyst

Juliepede,

Thanks for the reply. What type of surgery did they do to remove the cyst??? And how long were you laid up for??? Just wondering if they have to remove my cyst if they would just cut me in the same place as they did for myhysterectomy. I had a tah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
setstion of cyst

Hi, Candykane!

My GYN recommended laparotomy to remove the cyst because of its large size, so I had the good old bikini cut. (In fact, when she went in to do the TAH/BSO six years later, she made the incision along the same line, so I have only one scar.)

I really wasn't laid up all that long. I was only in the hospital overnight. Most of the usual advice for abdominal/pelvic surgery seems pretty standard; lots of rest for the first couple of weeks, no driving until you can stomp on the brake, limited but gradually increasing activity for the next few weeks, etc. For the first few days, I was actually more sore from that surgery than I ever was from my hyst, but I think it was because of two things that probably won't be a problem for you. First, between the times of my first and second surgeries, my doctor and hospital (like many these days) switched from Demerol to morphine in the PCA, and the latter was much more effective for me. Second, I also had incisions in my uterus after that first surgery because I also had fibroids removed, and I think this caused more lingering (though not really bad) pain than the very little that I had when my entire uterus was removed.

Your surgeon will be able to let you know whether laparotomy or open surgery is more appropriate for you; as always, ask questions until you're satisfied that everything has been explained!

Best wishes,
Juliepede
Unread 04-14-2004, 05:56 AM
setstion of cyst

Juliepede,

Thanks again for replying. I appreciate the information. I'll let you know if /when I'll have surgery. My dr wants to do the wait and see game...I'm not sure that I like that. Where abouts in Michigan are you from....I'm from Roseville.
Unread 05-16-2004, 09:28 PM
setstion of cyst

Hi, Candykane! Sorry to take so long to reply; I'm kind of a sporadic user of this group these days. I live in Kalamazoo and have been here since '91. May be moving in the near future, but don't know when or where (job-hunting)!

Hope all is going well,
Juliepede
Unread 05-16-2004, 10:04 PM
setstion of cyst

I currently have a 3cm cyst on my right ovary that they are watching that has "thin septations" in it. septations are little dividers that separate the cyst into different compartments. I thought that always meant they were bad, but the radiologist (she's a friend of mine so I trust her!) said that even though it has these septations she thinks it is just functional. I don't know if she was trying not to panic me or what. I have seen probably the same websites as you have and none of them sound very good when it comes to the whole "septations" thing, but I'm doing my best to trust my friend's opinion (in spite of my hysteria! )

Good luck to you - let us know how it turns out!
Jo
Unread 05-16-2004, 11:33 PM
septations on cyst

I too am undergoing a cyst nightmare. I have a 7x8 fluid cyst on my left ovary and a 5x6 septated cyst with some debris on my right. I am completely panicking -- words of encouragement from anyone would be helpful. I am supposed to undergo a laparotomy on June 21. My CA 125 was negative (10) but I am only 38 and I understand that the CA 125 is notoriously erroneous in premenopausal women. My gyn says "she doesn't think it's cancer" I have been a mess since January when these cysts were first diagnosed and then followed through last month. If any one else has had a septated cyst with debris I that turned out benign I would be very grateful to hear your story.

Thanks
VFlower
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:55 PM
setstion of cyst

to those of you going through this. i just had a 9cm complex cyst removed last week---maybe I can ease your worries a bit.

My cyst was found on an ultrasound, and I had NO SYMPTOMS. The US indicated thin septations and a possible small solid area, although there was no blood supply within the mass.
I also had a CT scan that revealed everything else including lymph nodes in the abdomin to be normal.

What I read before my surgery was frightening too---I am 51 and cysts at this age are malignant 50% of the time! Plus I had breast cancer 5 years ago and ovary is a place of metastasis.

For younger women, cysts, even complex ones, are benign 75-80% of the time. Those are pretty good odds. While a pathology is the only way to be certain it's not malignant, a CT scan can give them a good idea going in. Your doctor must not be too worried at this point, since you didn't mention that you had a CT scan done.

As it turned out, it was a mucinous cystadenoma, one of the benign ones. However, I had already decided to take everything out but one ovary. I didn't want to revisit the possibility of cancer again!

So, you probably have less to worry about than I did. The odds of cancer are very small at your age. Hope that eases your mind some.

Cheers
Gale
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:36 PM
septated cyst

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gale...still feel very scared. Met with the gyn again today and she said that she didn't think a CT scan would show anything more than the ultrasound. They are trying to get me in as soon as possible (in Canada and am on a waiting list). Worst case scenario would be June 21. Trying to think of other things but just feel very scared.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register