IVP Next week - what's it like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IVP Next week - what's it like? IVP Next week - what's it like?

Unread 04-08-2004, 10:02 AM
IVP Next week - what's it like?

Ok sisters, again I need some input from you all that have been there and done that.

Had my appt with the urologist finally this morning (and what a hottie he is :O) and very very nice.

He has me scheduled for an IVP on Tuesday to check for blockages, etc and will also do a scope look at the bladder. I of course got the pre-test directions, fluid diet day before and was so graciously given 2 ducolax to take the afternoon before to clean everything out...nice.

So what does it feel like, will I be uncomfortable, etc. I sure will be glad when all this is over. He said depending on the test results and exam which he didn't do today just did a UA and dip came back negative but he is going to send it for culture and let me know about that next week.

So how will I feel, how long does it last, you know, anything you can tell me would help!!!

jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Jody, I had both a few years ago. The IVP was an emergency and all you do is lay there on a table in the x-ray dept. and they inject some dye into the IV in your arm. It feels warm when the dyw first goes into your system and you feel flush for a little while but there is really no pain just sort of a weird feeling. The actual test does not take that long. For some reason or other, I cannot remember the scope that much but I know it was not painful just uncomfortable for a short time. I had that done in a small room of the OR(procedure room) in our hospital. I must have been numbed down there but I was so sick at the time I really didn't care what they did to me. Rest assured hun you should do fine. Good luck sweetie!

Emily s
Unread 04-08-2004, 10:54 AM

thanks Emily that is reassuring!!! I finally read the info booklet they sent with me and it said that it should only take about an hour and he can tell me right then and there what the test shows. I know one thing, I sure will be glad when all this is over.

I think now I am more scared of having "cathie" go home with me if they should have to do some types of repairs than I am about waking up in menopause with no HRT options. Whew, when will all this be over???????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 11:30 AM
IVP

Hi there-
I saw your post under new posts and wanted to let you know. I had some bladder issues when I was a child and a teen. I have had several IVP's and Cyctascopes (sp?), the last scope was awake. The IVP is no big deal- just like the other person said, you feel warm when the dye goes in. They asked me to urinate down the little table I was on but I couldn't do it. The scope is a bit uncomfortable but doesn't last long. My bladder spasmed after the scope though because he dialated by bladder while he was in there. I needed some Urgesic Blue to help afterwards to urinate so it might be a good idea to ask for that just in case. Good luck!
Unread 04-08-2004, 11:45 AM

I also had one prior to my bladder repair, and being the big scairdy cat that i am, made my DH go with.

It was nothing. They start an IV line, and inject two big tubes of clear medium. What took the longest was the health history the technician took.

I didn't have any warm feeling, but i did get a slight metallic taste in my mouth, which is a common reaction.

that was all! the worst part was i gushed urine all over the x-ray table from my leaky leak.

You'll be fine.....

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM

you ladies are the greatest!!!

I am so afraid of what the test will show. He didn't examine me today but will next week but said with my history of endo that is possible that it is causing my problem or its a prolapse. I will know more next week as to what is the cause and what the solution will be.

I am so scared though of "cathie" - in the castle when I had my hyst I had problems going on my own and they had to recath me and the second time it was soooo uncomfortable and I am terrified she will have to come home with me!!!!!!!!!I guess I shouldn't even let it be a thought right now since I don't know but still, you all know how hard it is to not think of the "what if's".

DBF is still so angry over all this, not at me of course but just that I have to go through all this and I told him as bad as it is there are women who have a lot more troubles afterwards than I do believe it or not and that is what I try to keep in the back of my mind. I could be a lot worse off. I know I will have a good cry soon, I feel it coming on and its just from feeling overwhelmed with it all and from being scared of yet another surgery......I will get over it though I know it!!!

You ladies here are the best I can't say it enough. Some things other women just can't relate to but everyone here can and I am so thankful I found this site when I was home postop bored out of my mind........thank you!!!!!

jody
Unread 04-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Jody - I have had about 4 or 5 ivp's do to kidney stones. I had one about 5 weeks after my LAVH because I was complaining about bladder pain so my URO thought possible kidney stones. All of my IVP's where not planned so I never had to do any of the prep work. The last IVP I had I really felt my body get hot. I could feel it deep inside my bladder and I thought I was going to pee my pants. It felt like I was burning up. I was so embaressed because the girl that was doing the IVP had a male student with her. Finnally he left the room and I asked her if this was normal, because I never had that reaction before not like that anyway and she assured me it was. I also had the bad metalic taste in my mouth too. There was absulty no pain involved with the IVP. By back did get a little sore laying on that table. You may want to ask them to put a pillow or two under your knee's that helps alot.

I had the cystoscope done once in the office and found it to be extreamly painful because my urthra was inflamed. The second time I had it done they put me under for it. It felt like I was peeing needles both times afterwords. The second time I had a bit of blood for a day or two, but they also streached my urthra. If they can or offer to give you something to help with the bladder spasms & the needle peeing pain take it. My doctor did not offer. If I ever had to have on done again I would ask for something.

Just a little time after I had my first cystoscope I told him I felt like I had to pee, he said I could possibly have to pee, and that I should be okay until I got home & not to go until then. I barely made it home I had to pee so bad, my stumach was cramping and it yelled so loud when I peed I scared the dog. Funny know, but not at the time. So moral of the story if you feel like you have to go, go don't hold it, it makes it alot worce.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!
Kim
Unread 04-08-2004, 09:19 PM

((((Jody))))) So sorry you are dealing with all of this

I had to have and IVP before my hyst and remember being soooo scared, not only of the procedure but of the possible issues it could revealed In my case, it turned out that I shouldn't have worried.

As the others have stated, the IVP itself is really not that bad, at all: For me, the worst part was the bowel prep that I had to do the night before. For the test, they have you lay down on the table, then they inject the dye in your arm and you feel flushed. Once the dye works it's way through your system, they take a series of picture, including one where they stand the table: that was the weirdest feeling!!! When it's over, you might feel a little dizzy (I know I did). But it might have been from all the cleansing and fasting (it was the same day as my pre-op, and I hadn't eaten since the previous night. It must have been 11:00 am by then!!!!) as well as the reaction to the table's movements (up and down).

As far as the results went, they just showed that all was ok with my kidneys.

Wishing you the best of luck. Hopefully, this is the last bump on the Road, and then you'll be on the Road to Recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register