Different "types" of pain? Still trying to sort it all out... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different "types" of pain? Still trying to sort it all out... Different "types" of pain? Still trying to sort it all out...

Unread 04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Different "types" of pain? Still trying to sort it all out...

I'm 8 months post-PSN at this point. I believe it helped a somewhat; I still have daily severe pain but meds help now where they didn't do much before. Also I can stand upright most of the time, whereas I entered the hospital on my PSN day walking at almost a 90-degree angle, the pain was so deep.

My surgeon believes that if a PSN is at least 50% effective (a good result for PSNs is 50%-85% relief), a hyst may add to the relief b/c it involves severing even more nerves leading to the pelvic area. My problem now is, how to quantify it accurately enough to make my decision? What type of pain counts, and how much?

The pain is best described as constant cramping. Right in the "midline," as the drs call it. Exercise/motion worsens it. And, same as in beginning endo days, having a BM (sorry to be graphic) sets the cramping off big time, as does intercourse. Lately, the pain also worsens if I sit up for too long. I'm no physician, but from what I've read, all of this points to the scar tissue/nerve damage theory, from which the conclusion would then logically be that a hyst would not help much.

In fact, if I had not been dx'd w/adeno, I wouldn't even be considering a hyst; my endo has been minor (Stages I-II). The only reason I even contemplate it is on the off chance that those speckles and spots on my MRIs are causing this torment. It's hard to imagine that they are, since I've never experienced truly dysfunctional bleeding, aside from endo's premenstrual spotting and long, clotted periods when not controlled by hormones.

It's very hard to figure out. My periods were long and horribly painful since age 10. But until my mid-20s, the pain started when I began to bleed. After that, it would be a day before, then two, then three, then I would be doubled over from the time just after ovulating right through to my period. The pain did not become constant until I was 37, just when I'd become convinced that I was going to cruise through life until menopause on Alesse, w/period-only cramps lasting maybe 3-4 days. But it wasn't to be....

Chronic pain Sisters, how has your pain evolved over the years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register