Home from surgery (4/6) - a few hints for those awaiting surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from surgery (4/6) - a few hints for those awaiting surgery Home from surgery (4/6) - a few hints for those awaiting surgery

Unread 04-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Home from surgery (4/6) - a few hints for those awaiting surgery

I actually got to come home a day earlier than the dr expected since I was doing so well!!!! The surgery (TAH) is not as bad as I had built it up to be - it's no cake walk either! but i think i had built it up by worrying FAR too much. The doctor removed 13 fibroids, the largest was as big as a basketball - I already feel better even though i am in pain from the surgery. The first 6 hours after surgery are the hardest, but even two days later, it's all a little hazy to me. i am taking my painpills every 4 - 6 hours, and tomorrow i might try to start switching out to advil. will play that by ear.

Those awaiting surgery, here are some things I think helped:
-i started taking yoga in January through our local parks dept. for stress relief. I had no idea how much I would use the breathing aspects of yoga to get through the painful spots instead of turning to pain pills. i highly recommend it to anyone.

-walk, walk, walk as soon as you can after surgery. the first time is hard, but you will feel better. the first day after surgery, i got up 6 times to walk, and it got easier each time, and i really think it helped the most.

-i was not prepared for the experience of my first meal after surgery! sorry to be crude, but the gas HURTS. so do MORE walking. so though you may be hungry, pace yourself with the eating. i am on day two - had lunch today, and have been walking my condo for the GAS. ugh, that has been the hardest.

-my boyfriend has a laptop with a DVD player, and he brought it to my room, and rented me 10 movies for the week. the time flew! he deserves many kisses for that. i did try to read a book, but the movies allowed me to veg out.

-get a private room if you can afford it. mine was $50 more per night (insurance doesnt cover) and it was worth it.

-have the dr. write your prescriptions the day before you leave so you're not sitting in the parking lot while your husband fills them.

-the car ride home was hard - DO NOT take an SUV. ours sits very high off the ground, it was hard to get into, and i felt each pebble we hit on the ride home.

-get a comfy pillow for when you cough. on monday i went to our local linens n things, and they had pillows more like bean bags for $14.99. perfect.

-do not over pack. i took 3 pairs of pjs and a robe. i only wore two nightgowns. took only my night time skin care stuff. pack light. i didnt even use my slippers - i wore my regular slip on shoes to roam the halls, they felt more comfy.

-last weekend i went to victorias secret to get a new nightgown, and instead bought these "low rider" panties (they weren't cheap, like 4 for $25 or something) but they sit so low that they didnt rub my incision, yet also allowed me to wear a pad for the post op bleeding (didnt have much though.)

- i asked my friends not to visit, and i am glad. i would have felt like a hostess and done too much. i asked them to come over next week when i am home, really, really glad i did this. i also had my boyfriend call my sister with news i was out of surgery, and she took over from there - sent one giant email to everyone who uses it, and asked them not to call until next week. She called those that don't use email, and she will update more folks tomorrow. it helped her feel a part of my recovery, gave me my privacy, and saved the boyfriend from making 50 phone calls when i wanted him in my room

- i tried to prepare my boyfriend as best i could for post surgery mood swings. i still had (and have) my awful moments, but this hormome patch I believe is working, and i will start my pills tomorrow (Premarin)

-i received many flowers and balloons from my loved ones, and rather than take them all home, I kept only a few, then walked the rest down to the pediatric unit (on the same floor) and asked the nurses to give them out to the little ones - it just made me feel good. And DO ask where your room will be located before surgery. this pediatric unit was VERY seperated even though it was on the same floor, but i could see if it had not been so carefully divided, it would have caused a few tears (this was the hardest part of the TAH, i don't have any children yet.) so if you think being around ANY age of child will be hard, ASK where your room will be.

-and the best advice I received for the last few weeks (since I found it) was this website. I truly don't think i'd be doing this well had i not had the postings to read, the replies to my questions, and the lovely, supportive private messages and emails from the sisters.

If i think of other things to share i will, but ladies, I feel good already. I hope everyone who had their surgery this week is recuperating well, and letting their loved ones pamper them. Thos having surgery next week, you are in my prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Home from surgery (4/6) - a few hints for those awaiting surgery

ALReister:
Thank you for that excellent info. I will actually save it for reference!
I am so glad that it went better than expected. Your idea of leaving the flowers for the kids was so sweet.
Keep resting and pampering.
love and hugs
akita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register