Just found out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out Just found out

Unread 04-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Just found out

yesterday that I have to have the surgery. I'm scheduled to have it in 10 days (4/19)!!

I haven't had time to really process and absorb this information just yet. I would love any helpful tips, information, questions I should ask...anything to make this journey less frightening. I'm feeling so discombobulated. Thank you in advance for any input you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Keep reading this site!

Boy, I feel for you. I have until August to get mentally prepared - don't think I could do it in 10 days time. Best advice I can give is read, read, read! This site is a wealth of information! I have learned SO MUCH just from reading other people's posts. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Just found out

Christine,
I'm sure your head is swimming! I'm glad you found this site. There is a wealth of info and support here. Just keep reading the hints and threads and you'll soon have a long list of questions for your doctor.

You will feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster until the surgery, but that is normal.

I had about 3 weeks to prepare and found myself making lots of lists...
1. Questions for the doctor, hospital, insurance
2. Things to get done before surgery day that I wouldn't be able to do afterwards, making arrangements for the kids activities.
3. Things for the hospital
4. Things to have at home for my recovery

You'll read lots of suggestions here. If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me or post another thread. Everyone here has walked the same road!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Just found out

Are you tvh or tah? It seems the tvh sisters are usually in the hospital for a less time and take less time to recover...
Unread 04-09-2004, 12:56 PM
thank you stymie and lin_d

it all seems so overwhelming to me. I'm so happy to have been told of this site, as I am learning so much. This seems to be not only a site with tons of information, but also a wonderful place to find support. Thank you both so much.
Unread 04-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Just found out

I had a tvh and was in for 27 hours, which was about right.

I can't believe how well I'm doing. I'm happily resting and drinking my prune juice and taking my little walks and taking my pain meds on time. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well advil is doing in helping with pain.

I highly recommend vaginal procedures if they're an option. :dance2:
Unread 04-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Ladybroughton and kholling

unfortunately, I am going to have a TAB. The Rt. tube, ovary and uterus are going to be taken, and probably the left tube and ovary also. If it looks ok, will keep 1 ovary. Is this a good thing??

Wow, LadyBroughton, I can't believe you just had the surgery 3 days ago and are up & tapping on the computer! You are amazing and an inspiration. Thank You so much!
Unread 04-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Just found out

Christine,
Most of us here will always tell you to check with your doctor. We can all tell you our experiences and the processes we went through to arrive at our individual decisions, but everyone is different, every doctor is different. He is the professional and the one who knows you best and if you're not comfortable with his answers or the way he communicates, get another opinion. It's not too late. Just because you have a surgery date, doesn't mean it can't be changed.

A TVH was not an option for me because of the size of my fibroids/uterus. He also wasn't able to tell me what type of incision he would make. He said he'd have to wait until the anesthesia had relaxed my muscles and then decide. (I woke up with a horizontal incision about an inch below the hairline. My recovery has been normal.)

He left the decision to remove the ovaries up to me, but recommended removing them because of my history of cysts. I spent a lot of time reading about surgical menopause and the frequency of a second surgery to remove ovaries and decided to have the BSO as well. (Which led, of course, to the hormone issues...It's always something! )

Whatever your situation, you feel so much better, calmer, if you can be informed. You've gotten a good start!
Take care,
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register