Repeat bowel obstructions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Repeat bowel obstructions... Repeat bowel obstructions...

Unread 04-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Repeat bowel obstructions...

Any have bowel obstructions that keep repeating?

I've been inpatient now a few times (recently) for bowel obstructions. I had one immediately following my hyster last year, but now they are happening often. I'm going in to have my left ovary and a cyst removed and the GYN is going to try to deal with the adhesions, but he's not too understanding about the intestinal problems. I've got a great GI doc, but he's not a surgeon.

So far the blockages have been handled with an NG tube. I haven't had surgery for one...but it is such a horrible thing to go through, I'd prefer to have this whole mess dealt with.

Anyone else have this happen and can offer me some insight?

Thanks,

Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2004, 03:11 PM

Hey Rita:

Sorry to hear of this. My MIL had cervical cancer and massive radiation to her pelvis in 1980 and bowel obstructions and the NG tube are well known to her. She finally has figured out which foods not to eat and to avoid stress. Her episodes have drastically decreased in number to being down to 1-2 times a year from once a month. They say that all she can do is live with it. There is just so much damage from her radiation. She otherwise lives a really normal, active, healthy life.

The above was meant to give you some hope that even a severe case can be managed. I surely hope that your adhesions are removed during surgery and that they don't return.

I am sorry your GYN is not being understanding aobut the GI issues. for the GYN for not being fully there for you!

Well, if its any consolation... we care and we empathize. Lots of s for you dear.
Unread 04-10-2004, 06:35 AM

Rita,

In 1999, I had a radical hysterectomy followed by internal and external radiation for endometrial cancer. About two months after finishing treatment, I started getting these horrible abdominal attacks. My friend who was treated for colon cancer around the same time, and who also had abdominal surgery and radiation, started having the same type of attacks.

The doctor wanted me to go to the ER for testing while I was having an attack. However, the pain was so severe that the thought of sitting in the car for the ride to the ER was almost laughable. I used to roll around on the floor in pain or walk in circles around the house for relief, which usually came many hours later and only after profuse vomiting. Sometimes, after many hours, I would end up with one end on the toilet and the other on the sink. I would often be sore in the abdominal area for days afterwards.

These attacks occurred very frequently for the first years or two, then gradually became less and less frequent over the years. The onset of these attacks did not seem to relate in any way to anything in particular that I ate. Based on my symptoms, my gynecologic oncologist diagnosed an "intermittent partial small bowel obstruction" which he said was most likely caused by adhesions from surgery and/or radiation. I think it often takes the intestines several years to settle down from major abdominal surgery.

I hope that your attacks subside over the next few years as mine and my friend's ultimately did. I know all too well how painful they can be!!

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 12:09 AM

(((Rita))):

Only a GYN-oncologist or colon surgeon can do that type of repair. The concern would be that the GYN would get in to get your ovaries and find adhesions to the intestines -- and not be able to do that sort of surgery, but have to wait for a general surgeon to come "help out." .

Intestinal obstructions are unfortunately all too common with histories like yours (and mine). The problem, of course, is that going in to try to relieve the problem can lead to further problems. My DD has had a few of these episodes in her few years; as you know, she had her large intestine removed at two days of age, and has known adhesions from that and the subsequent two surgeries. There have been several episodes where she had a lot of pain, finally ed and then felt MUCH better. We went to the ER for a couple of them, but all they could say on CT scan was, "yeah, her intestines don't look normal" (no kidding...) and she's not had any episodes in the last year or so.

I thought you finally had found a GYN-oncologist to do your surgery? It would sure help the peace of mind, if anything arose, knowing that the oncologist could do whatever repair became necessary.

Do a search with (((Sheri's))) name and "intestinal obstruction," in this forum. It seems to me that she wrote an extensive post on this subject, and included a whole lot of links at the time. I remember reading the post (and that whole thread) with interest.

Big s to you, sweetie...this waiting time is SOOO hard!

Audrey
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:39 PM

((Rita)),
You know my long history & battle with these. My official dx was the same as ((MoeKay's)) intermittent partial small bowel obstruction's mine have turned into a Chronic, inoperable situation. There are quite a few other women who suffer this same situation with no permanent resolve :cry: The only one hope, surgery, for me & several others anyway, means to many risks and potential for additional & possible worsening problems...ones that I personally cant physically endure any further of <sigh>

If you haven't yet, I would suggest reading over at www.Adhesions.org
Many of the members there deal with this also and have shared some great info & helpful tips in helping these.
Here are a few sites that have helped me:

Chronic Intermittent Intestinal Obstruction

Chronic Intermittent Intestinal Obstruction

Intestinal obstruction info

There is also a lot of good info here as ((Audrey)) shared
Good Luck for some relief & resolve

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Thank you soooooo much sisters!

Thank you (((sisters)))

I felt like I was some weirdo...it sure helps to know someone understands.

My insurance doesn't cover a GYN oncologist (unless there IS cancer...but I'm not dealing with that) We tried fighting the insurance, but they won't budge on the issue, and I'm honestly too tired of dealing with the pain from the cyst. *sigh*

I am doing things to avoid this problem and it has helped. I bought a joicer and use that each morning instead of eating solid foods (eating in the morning creates severe pain). I avoid anything high in fat, any tomatoes (and I use to eat tomatoes all the time....geeeesh!) and including fiber in my diet every day (usually a non-fat, whole wheat, bran muffin).
Is there anything else I can incorporate into my diet that you know of...or elliminate?

(((Michelle))) It does help me to hear that even people with severe cases manage to deal with this. It helps me feel like I will eventually get this under control. The hugs help also hun...thanks!

(((MoeKay))) You describe EXACTYLY what I go through...I feel so much pain, and spend hours in the bathroom! It's horrible. Our ER is only about 5-10 minutes away and my GI doc told me to go there during one of these "attacks". It is sooooo painful that I only go there when it's absolutely neccessary, because like you said, who wants to sit in a car during that? I also know I'm going to end up with that NG tube again, and it freaks me out! So...I'm trying to find ways to manage this on a day to day basis. My situation had been a little more manageable until the past couple of months. I'm not sure why it got worse...but I'm going to try to get in under control. Thank you for giving me some hope and for sharing with my how you felt. It makes me feel like I'm not all alone with this. Thank you hun.

(((Audrey))) Nope...I couldn't get a GYN oncologist. We tried to fight it out with the insurance, but we couldn't get the approval for one. *sigh*. I'm so sorry your dd goes through this sometimes. I want to just reach through the computer and give her a hug!

(((Sheri))) Thank you so much for the links. I'm going to look into them now and learn everything I can about this. I know you understand how frustrating and painful this is. If I didn't have the cyst that needed to come out I wouldn't bother with another surgery. I'm honestly quite scared about doing this again, because of adhesions, but the cyst is painful (it must be due to location because it's only 4 cm.) The ovary is also feeding the endo and I can't deal with BC pills. *sigh* Our bodies are complicated, huh? Thanks for your help hun.

Thank you all (((sisters))). I feel comforted knowing I'm not all alone with this mess. Sometimes when 'weird' things happen and you get those 'looks' from MD's and such it starts making a person feel like an oddity. I'm glad I've got (((sisters))) who understand.

Hugs,

Rita
Unread 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM
I have a silly question

I have suffered from painful BM for several years know. The drs seem to just excuse as constipation and tell me to take a laxative. Well, sometimes even with laxatives, stool softeners, and extra fiber I can't go. It isn't unusual for me to only have one BM a week if that. And when I do it is very painful. They thought that after my hyst it might help. But unfortunately I had major adhesions devlop a year later ad they were attatched to my intesties. they had my itestines stretched from one side of my stomach to the other. The Dr also said that I had bands around my intestines that he tried to remove the most of.
Well, he requested a colonoscopy after surgery which has yet to be done but I was just wondering if any of this sounded familiar.
I am at my wits end.
My stomach makes all kinds of loud noises before a bm but even just passing gas is horrible paiful. Sorry to be so graphic but I don't know where else to turn. If any one has any ideas let me know.
LOL
Jeni
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:53 PM

Rita,

My surgeon was able to have her favorite general surgeon on standby in case she did find bowel involvement in my endo surgery. The standby didn't cost me anything and the insurance company was willing to pay the general surgeon's fees if he did have to be called in. Maybe this would be an option for you.

If your doctor goes to bat with you and points out you'd end up with a second procedure and second hospitalization otherwise, maybe you can get this option. A good general surgeon with plenty of experience in bowel surgery ought to be able to help you.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping everything turns out well.
Unread 04-13-2004, 03:48 PM

Dear (((Michelle)))

I am sorry you are dealing with all of this. I don't have any experience with bowel obstructions so don't have much to offer other than s

I would think that the GI doctor would be a good resource for suggestions on what to eat to help avoid the problem (if there is anything that helps). Since you mentioned it has become more frequent lately perhaps it is due to a change in diet or other medication ...

I hope things go smoothly with your surgery.

Sarah
Unread 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Hello...

(((Jeni))) I don't have painful BM's so I don't think we're dealing with the same thing. When I have an obstruction happen there's nothing that passes through. If left untreated it can be fatal. When there is no obstruction my system works normally, but then eventually it suffers another obstruction and the cycle begins again. So far they've treated it each time with an NG tube to drain out the contents of the stomach and intestines and then they wait to see if things are clear again.
I did have a colonoscopy, and other than some minor problems it looked fine. My GI doc seems to think the adhesions are constricting the intestines occasionally.

(((Denise)))
Thanks for the info, I will ask my doctor about doing that. I know a surgeon who'd be happy to be the one on call and he has worked with my GYN before (not with me, but with others) so setting that up should be okay. Thanks for the idea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register