problems with low blood platelets, anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

problems with low blood platelets, anyone? problems with low blood platelets, anyone?

Unread 04-10-2004, 02:26 PM
problems with low blood platelets, anyone?

I'm new to the forum but have been reading about you other great sisters since my TAH in Jan/04. My dx was ovarian cancer Stage II. I have had 2 rounds of taxol/carbo with 4 more to go. I had to wait 5 weeks between my first and second chemo because of low white blood count and low blood platelets. Got neupogen shots for the white counts. My question is, can I do something to boost those platelets into high gear? I sure hope someone can help, I don't look forward to getting a platelet transfusion. Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Platelets

I went from 3 to 4 weeks during my initial occurrence due to platelets. Now on my second recurrence, a couple times on 4 weeks I've had chemo with platelets in the 88-95,000 range--low. Between chemos they drop to 35-40,000 but then come back. I do know if you go below I think it's 10,000 you can get pplatelets transfused--but I hear of people that low rarely and I've heard it's very expensive. Platelets are frustrating. During my third week, I now get minor nosebleeds and will get one or two huge bruises that make the RN and Dr. go "wow" but the platelets bounce up into the 150's and 170's. I don't think we can do much on our own with them.
Unread 04-10-2004, 02:49 PM

Hi, Cricketchair and welcome. Yea, with chemo, your counts can go all over the place. I was getting radiation at the same time as the chemo and knowing that both treatments can impact your blood cell counts, I talked early on with my doctor about possible solutions. So, for the white blood cells, I had neulasta (which is the slower acting version of neupogen -- the benefit is that you only get one shot within 24 hours of each chemo treatment). I had shots for the red blood cells, too, but I can't remember the name of the drug. All I know is that it all worked.

Towards the end of my treatment is when my platelets started to be affected. They never got so low that they delayed treatment. Unfortunately, there's not much (short of a platelet transfusion) that can be done about low platelet count.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Let us know how you're doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2004, 04:52 PM

Cricket,

I really wish there was something you could do for the platlets because if there was, I would've done it. My platlets dropped to the low 30's several times. It was always very frustrating! My red counts also went very low and I had to have red cells transfused. I was really scared about the transfusion but it was really a breeze, I felt much better afterward.
I always knew when my platlets were going low because I would really start to bruise, they would just seem to pop out all over my legs, bottom and arms.

I guess what I'm saying is, I know it's upsetting to delay your Chemo, I always got really upset but the main thing is to complete all your rounds.

I wish I had known you during all my delays we could have commiserated together. Hang in there Cricket. Make sure you are getting enough rest. Take Care!

Bonnie
Unread 04-10-2004, 07:59 PM

Hi Cricket

I also had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin for ovarian cancer. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, my blood counts were good each time except for the last one. It was slightly down so we held off for a week.(my son was getting married that week so I really did not care. the hold off was a blessing in disguise)

This may sound silly but my husband was convinced that it works......I very very rarely eat red meat but before each treatment he made me have a hamburger. A woman that he works with also said that when taking chemo you should eat lentils, so she was constantly making me some kind of lentil soup which really was delicious.

I do not know if either of these had anything to with it but, as I said, my counts were always good.

Keep us informed.
Rosalie
Unread 04-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Low platelets and chemo

I too, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage II Grade 1 January 28, 2004. I have my 2nd chemo this Thursday. My counts were ok so far. I asked my doctor about doing something to help my blood counts stay up when/if they fall, and he didn't seem to think there was anything I could do to make a significant difference. I would love to hear from someone who actually was able to make a difference.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register