DX..Uterun cancer - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DX..Uterun cancer DX..Uterun cancer

Unread 04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
DX..Uterun cancer

Carol -- I have a buckwheat pillow! (or is it flax seed? hm I can't remember now...) I put a tissue with drops of essential oil between the pillow and the case for a lovely aromatherapy boost. They make them with herbs added to the stuffing, too, but I wanted to be able to change my aromatherapy without buying a whole new pillow...

And what you and Janie and Marl said, about cancer giving you a whole new measuring stick for what is important in life. It is SO true! It's such a cliche to say that "I count my blessings," but I don't know how else to express it -- the cancer made me see how Extraordinarily "blessed" I am. No one in his or her right mind would look at my life story and call me "blessed," and yet with everything I've been through in 42 years, including cancer, I feel like I've been given the very best of the really important things in life.

So, Camie, the thread kind of drifted its focus away from your original post, and yet I hope it has given you some things to keep your spirits up!

Love,
=emp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
DX..Uterun cancer

Hi Carrie,
I had my surgery for uterine cancer at St Joe's in Syracuse at the end of JUly 2003. I too had to wait for about six weeks after the DX. the waiting was the pits. Are you going to Syracuse for your next appointment. I know my doctor also has an office some place else, but I am not sure where. It could be Fulton.
If you plan to go to Syracuse let me know if I can answer any of your questions.
Jean
Unread 04-16-2004, 11:10 AM
DX..Uterun cancer

Empresse - What a good idea about the aromatic oils for the buckwheat/flax pillow. Don't you just love the pillow? It's made coming back to work much easier. And for those who have just been diagnosed, I hope all these posts help you to realize that although cancer certainly is serious, often it's the beginning of the best part of your life. Does anybody here have AFLAC insurance? The one with the duck? If you do and you have the cancer portion, don't forget to start a claim. It has been a godsend to me. Tomorrow I'm picking up my new-to-me (used) car that I'm paying entirely for with my AFLAC money! My present car is 13 years old and as rusty and creaky as my knees are, but the new one is a red Sunfire with a sunroof!! Is there life after cancer? There sure is!! Blessings to all. Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2004, 11:29 AM
similar experience

Hi Camie - I had a similar experience. I was diagnosed with cancer in February but they could'nt schedule my Hysterectomy till March! I went a whole month bleeding like a stuck pig, I had terrble migrain headaches, my face swelled up and I had blurry vision. The doctors insisted it had nothing to do with the cancer. But what a coin-ke-dink! As soon as they cut out my uterus, those symptomes disappeared. I went to work everyday during that month, execpt for one day, when I decided to sit on the toilet and just let the blood clots plop out....swell, eh?
Ah, well. Time to start radiation, soon...
Hare Krsna, Love, Martha
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
DX..Uterun cancer

I see that you are in Fulton, New York, so I'm betting you're going to somewhere local. I think it would really be worthwhile to at least get a second opinion even though it will mean going into Schenectady or Albany. A gynecological oncologist is the person to see--and if you can, have a gynecological oncologist do the surgery. They have more experience and can do a better job as well as know what they are looking at from experience. And teaching hospitals like Albany have to keep more up to date.

You deserve the best. It's your health. Don't settle for one opinion and someone who isn't expert.

Unread 04-17-2004, 04:53 PM
DX..Uterun cancer

Dear Camie,

You should never have to wait that long to get into surgery because then the cancer will have had some time to spread if it was going to metastisize. Whenever there's cancer involved the most qualified physician will be a Gynecological Oncologist (GYN/ONC). Once cancer has spread to other organs the periotinetal wall, etc. The cancer is much more serious to treat. Your prognosis can be vastly different from someone who did not have metastisis of surrounding tissue. In fact cancer given a chance will invade the lymph nodes and once it is there it can appear in organs not in the periotinetal cavity such as the lungs, brain, etc. I would be raising issues in a civil but assertive manner with your doctor. If your doctor is not a GYN/ONC then it sounds like you need him/her to refer you to one ASAP. Don't let yourself be put on a "back burner". This is a time when looking out for yourself is essential! Also doing a lot of reading on the web would be good because then you'll have more questions for your doctor as well as more insight for your own sake. I also question the use of hormones because some cancers are sensitive to them.

I would say to try to stay calm because your body needs that right now but definitely get a second opinion a referral to a GYN/ONC that can operate on you sooner and has a good reputation. They have much more training in techniques that will minimize your possible chemo and radiation requirements.

s

Linda

Early Stage IV uterine cancer, TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (vertical incision) and removal of cervix on 1/19/04, completed 4 cycles of carboplatin and Etoposide. Oncologist recommended one or 2 more cycles at most! In remission after 2nd cycle but prayers are still most welcome!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register