fibroid embolization/overy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibroid embolization/overy? fibroid embolization/overy?

Unread 04-13-2004, 09:21 AM
fibroid embolization/overy?

Hi, I am sched. for a hyst on 5/10. I'm 46, I've had a history of cervical dispasia, I have fibroids, about the size of a grapefruit, has anyone heard of fibroid embolization, has anyone had this done? Also he want's to take my one ovary, the other is gone due to a cyst, I want to keep it, I am a wimp when it comes to asserting myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 05:32 PM

Hi,

I have heard of fibroid embolization, but not had it done.

You might want to check at the top of the page under "Resources" for information about fibroids and ovaries.

Best wishes on your up coming surgery.

s
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:34 PM

Hi, I'm close to your age (47) and also looked into other means of ridding myself of these pesky fibroids (7cm, 5cm, 3cm, etc. -16-20 week uterus)! On March 2nd, I went in for a consultation to see if I was a candidate for the UFE procedure. I was required to have an MRI which took about 45 minutes. Afterwards the doctor talked with us (DH & myself), but told me due to what he could see, there was something on my right ovary and he would recommend that I have a hysterectomy. He also told me I'm only the second patient he has recommended the surgery to over the UFE procedure...that didn't help make me feel any better. I was looking for any way possible to postpone a hysterectomy but it just wasn't to be! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the spot on my ovary is just a cyst or tumor or anything other than the "c" word!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 05:41 PM

I have heard about it. Thought about looking into it but there is only one radiologist in AZ that does this procedure. They insert small plastic pellets?? to cut off the blood supply to the fibroids. When I asked my doctor about it, he said he could refer me for a consultation with the radiologist, but it is a very painful procedure (similar to a heart attack). I decided to hold off for another year or two and have now decided on hysterectomy (fibroids, a lot of pain, bad headaches from BCP and heavy bleeding). I personally feel the embolization is too new and we just don't know the long term affects at this point. I also decided against myomectomy because the fibroids tend to grow back within a couple of years.

Good luck. I know you'll make the decision that is best for you.
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:43 PM

My doc talked about UFE and I had already read about it, but it is only good for small fibroids outside the uterus, plus they can grow back. Unfortunately my biggest is inside and it won't work on that.

I'm all for a less invasive procedure if you're a good candidate.
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:23 PM

Ask your dr. for a referral to an Internal Radiologist who does them and schedule a consultation. It is supposedly quite effective (95%+), but not recommended for everyone. My Gyn. recommended it for me, but I waited too long, and my fibroids grew too big too fast, so I had no choice but live with my symptoms (Are you kidding?) or have the hysterectomy. The I.R. inserts a very small catheter in one groin, and tiny beads are inserted into the arteries that block the blood flow that leads to the fibroids. Risks are minimal, but include the remote possibility of the beads going where they shouldn't go, causing complications. Over time, the fibroids shrink in size and usually symptoms begin to subside within a couple of months. The procedure lasts about an hour, and the usual hospital stay is up to 23 hours. (sounds like an insurance frame of time, huh?) Cramping for a few days is common, but they can give you things to help. There are quite a few very interesting threads in the "Alternatives" forum of this site.
Unread 04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Thank you all!!

Thank you for your reply's, I am gonna ask my Doc. He keeps up on stuff, so Im sure he know's best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register