Does Anyone Else Have "Baby Veins?" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does Anyone Else Have "Baby Veins?" Does Anyone Else Have "Baby Veins?"

Unread 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Does Anyone Else Have "Baby Veins?"

Oh me ... oh my!

I am dreading my surgery simply because of the fact that my veins always seem to give me a fit and roll, thus leaving no alternative but for me to be stuck more than once for the IV.

My last surgery in December, 2003, I had finally kicked and screamed "I cannot take this anymore", so they finally brought in a pediatric needle. Geez Louise ...

You'd think they'd understand, why not either: 1.) Try once, if it fails, use a pediatric needle or 2.) Simply give me a pill to swallow to make me feel and place the IV in after I am "out" in the operating room.

I apologize for my venting and thank you for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Don't apologize!!!!

Why do people always apologize for saying things???? You have every right to be afraid, or whatever other emotion you are feeling.

That said, my veins roll too. I had surgery the first time when I was 16 and said "you've got one try with that IV. If you miss, that's it, I'm going home". They thought I was joking

so, they missed the first time, and I literally got up and was almost off the gurney when they finally caved and said they would put freezing in my hand.

Ever since that day.....I've always asked them to put lidocaine in my hand first because my veins don't like IV's

Haven't had a problem since.

s
Tam
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:43 PM

well i went to lab yesterday and they stuck me with a big needle when i had already told them that they need to use a butterfly needle and the nurse said i know how to do it and she missed and wanted to try again with another big needle in the other arm and i refused and another nurse came in with a butterfly and said she had did me before and sure enough she got it the first try sometimes i really dont think they care what we say are they are thinking we dont know what we are talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 03:13 PM

I too have very small veins that roll. Most of the time they use a butterfly needle in top of my left hand. That is the best place for me. You can't even see my veins any place else. I've had this problem since I was a teenager (44 now) and I think it has gotten worse. Good luck to you!!
Unread 04-13-2004, 03:59 PM

I have very small veins that close off and/or roll, and love to collapse during IV's...

I have gotten even anesthesiologists so frustrated that they have knocked me out and then put in the IV....

After 911, they would not even attempt to try and take blood from me after just glancing at my veins...

As one doctor told me..."you take daintiness too far"....

So needless to say...I am not a fan of needles...
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:14 PM

I have terrible veins also!! The last time I had surgery the "A" man numbed my hand first and then dug around for quite some time.... and I didn't feel it, so ask for that if they don't do it automatically..... Also, if you have to go for just blood work... MAKE THEM use a butterfly needle... it's slower but they get it on the first stick!!

T
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM

I had to go into get a kidney stone (FRED) taken care of but that is a different story... they warmed my hand with a hot towel and then used the smallest needle they could to get the iv going... first time I did not hit the ceiling in pain and then when she took it out i had to have my wrist right infront of my nose to find the mark!! Awesome lady she was!!
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM

I, too, have always had the vein problem! Normal doctor visits that require a blood sample always leave me with about four bruises due to the different areas the nurse tries to hit a vein without it rolling! Being anemic doesn't help. I'll have to remember the warm towel, the ice trick, or numbing when I go in for the surgery! Thanks for the ideas!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register