Catheters and Cranberry Juice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheters and Cranberry Juice Catheters and Cranberry Juice

Unread 04-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Catheters and Cranberry Juice

Just something that came to me that might be of use.

When I finally got home I noticed each time I pee'd that it was still burning some, but while it felt like that same burning we get with UTI's, I didn't ever feel like I had to go all the time. That's because I didn't have a UTI or a fever, what I had was a swollen and irritated urethra from the catheter.

About the only thing that made it feel better, and that kept it from being susceptible to infection, was cranberry juice. So while I'm not normally a cran juice drinker, I've been loading up on it, and lots of water.

Sure enough, in just a few days time (I wasn't really paying that close of attention, so let's say 4 days) the burning stopped.

Keep in mind though, that while it felt like a UTI, I knew it wasn't and I called the doc to confirm. She said it sounded more like I was still raw from being stretched out by the catheter.

So keep that in mind while you still have time to prep for the hospital and your return home...get some cran juice!!

I personally prefer it with a splash of vodka, but that's a big no-no until you're off pain killers, hard on the liver you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 06:40 PM

Ahhh, MsTlily, I concur! A splash of vodka with my cranberry juice sounds great. I can still have one now and then as my date with the castle isn't until 4/28.

Thanks for the tip on cranberry juice. I'll stock up before I head for the castle. The cranberry juice will be lacking some, but I'll make do!
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:53 PM

Hi sister,

For those who are not cranberry lovers--you can get cranberry capusules in the health food store--they work the same way only you don't have all of the calories and taste. Just drink plenty of other fluids with the capsules!

Mafalee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 07:17 PM

Yes - Drink plenty of Cranberry juice. I only had a diagnostic laparoscopy on 4-1 and have developed a nice little bladder/kidney infection now due to the catheter. My lower abdomen and back hurt so bad and the Cipro is making me nauseated! Anything you can do that may help prevent one, please do it.
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM

I had the bladder sling done with my TVH and came home with a catheter for a few days. I've been drinking cranberry juice since I came home, although I have slacked off the past few days. I was at the grocery tonight and picked up white cranberry strawberry juice. On the side of the bottle it said it contained the same health benefits as regular cranberry juice, but you don't get the tart taste. I've been sitting here drinking it while on the computer and it is yummy! I'll be getting more of that!
Unread 04-13-2004, 11:50 PM

I, too, have used cranberry juice for bladder problems. However, I wanted to add one word of warning---do NOT use cranberry juice if you have problems with kidney stones. A good friend, on the advice of someone who works in a local hospital, really loaded up on cranberry juice when she took a recent trip, as she has had multiple problems with kidney stones. When she got back and found she had kidney stones once again, her urologist told her that cranberry juice actually contributes to the formation of the kidney stones and should not be used in her case.

Otherwise, I've always been very happy to use it when I feel the dreaded bladder infection might be coming back.
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:33 AM

I would like to add a cautionary note here. If you have interstitial cystitis or the possibility of it, cranberry juice will cause your bladder to hurt. I had some irritation from the catheter after having my left ovary removed, D&C, and hysteroscopy. I finally took a pyrridium and prayed a lot! (I actually think the prayer had more to do with the healing than anything else.) I also drank seven or eight 16.9 oz. bottles of water a day for awhile. Anything acidic can cause a flare-up of the interstitial cystitis. I even have to be careful taking Vitamin C pills. When I go in for my surgery, I'm asking the dr. for a prescription for pyrridium to get me through the uncomfortable afteraffects of the catheter. I hope they keep me knocked out while that thing is in because if I can feel anything from the waist down, I can't tolerate a catheter. It hurts and makes me feel like I have to go all the time. When I was in labor with my 3rd child, the nurses put in a catheter, and I sent my husband to have them take it out because I couldn't stand it. I was so glad they did, and then they just used it to empty my bladder afterward and didn't leave it in. I hate those things.

RamonaD
right ovary remaining; hyst date to be determined on 4/20 dr. visit

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register