New to Hyster Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Hyster Sisters New to Hyster Sisters

Unread 04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
New to Hyster Sisters

Hello! It has been 6 weeks post-op and only recently (past 2 days) have I started to feel a lot better - relatively pain free. My Dr. did not fully explain some of the challenges following my TAH. I had not experienced hot flashes, night sweats, and sleeplessness before surgery and now it's a daily experience.

I still have both my ovaries and when I mentioned these 'symptoms', I was told it was to be expected..... Are there other things that I should be concerned during this recuperative stage?

Thanks so much and in the dark!
yes7x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
New to Hyster Sisters

Welcome to HysterSisters!

There are some great Post-op Articles you might find helpful.

Occasionally the ovaries can suffer some trauma from the shock of surgery and need time to recover. Your doctor can test your hormone levels to see what their fucntion is. Some lades have taken HRT temporarily until their overies kick in again - you might want to mention that to your doctor.

s
Unread 04-14-2004, 01:44 AM
New to Hyster Sisters

Your ovaries may temporarily quit producing estrogen "working' after the surgery, some women have total shut down after surgery - my sisters say soy milk, soy pills [(available at Wal-mart and I have the exact name on a note somewhere if you want it e-mail me), also other non prescription remedies for hot flashes]. Personally, no family history of problems - so I opted for estrogen patches immediately - had to go up from immediate post op .05 to .1 Clamara patches last week and looking forward to pills - I hate this patch - when I see my dr. again on May 10th -- for hopefully my 4th and last post op visit.

Good luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:33 AM
new to hyster sisters

Sitting here in Australia post-op from 29th march.

Good to find this site and realise my problems are few compared to some others. So far so good. A few drops of bright red blood PV on day 6 arriving home from hospital, but this has settled and I guess it was just an internal suture busting to say hello.

I also had a massive problem with allergy all across the wound from day 6 on due to the transparent sticky dressing. Anyone else had this? It caused considerable itching and red lumps etc and I had to go onto cortisone for it (couple of days), which I believe doesn't help with the internal healing too much but it settled down the allergy.

My solution to dressing the wound was to buy some tight stretch panties and use these to hold a swab dressing over the wound, as anything sticky seemed to bring up an itch.

Seems to have worked and all is healing well now. Dog and I go for walks and I'm more or less galloping up and down the stairs now. Went to the supermarket today.

I'm 62 this year but feel 42, very much wanting to get back to aerobics. Had total hysterectomy, ovaries kept, due to fast growing pedunculated (external uterine) fibroids. 4 kids, been on HRT (cyclical permarin and 10 days duphastin) for ten years and don't intend to go off some form of HRT ever. Why is "general wellbeing" so low down on the published priorities for using it? Most of my friends (aged from 42 to 62) who are on it take it for the wellbeing aspect more than anything else. Glad to dump the progestogen now though, as it was making my skin bad and I was a bit PMT-ish for 10 days and the bleeding was painful due to fibroids.

Just finished reading Fran Drescher (The Nanny) who has written a book called Cancer Schmancer about her own diagnosis and hysterectomy. Her man is 16 years younger than she is, and mine is only 10 years younger than me. Fran says she had sex two weeks after; I'm not there yet (16 days and counting), but I am certainly keeping the interest levels up for us both.

Hope I can work out how to use this site effectively to connect with you some more.

Katiekins

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register