Getting Ready for the Castle - some ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Ready for the Castle - some ??? Getting Ready for the Castle - some ???

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Getting Ready for the Castle - some ???

First, thanks to everybody who has been SO wonderful at this site! I have learned so much and feel totally safe with any question here. I have two dumb questions first, can you bend over after a TAH - will I want to wear pjs or a night gown??? Can you pull down your own pants? How about stairs - do I need to plan to stay in our room upstairs? DH is NOT very helpful and lately is acting like HE is having the surgery. I need to really have things planned out so I can function at home. Would love some input! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2004, 04:22 PM

The only experience I have is w/3 c-sections my surgery is tomorrow and I am assuming the recovery will be similar if you wear pj pants make sure they are big and go above the waist, stairs??? I live in a 3rd floor apartment and I know I will be stuck up here for a while....when I had my sections I was unable to do the stairs in my house so I made myself comfortable on the first floor Also, make sure you have BIG UNDERPANTS I will let you know more when I return......Good Luck
Unread 04-14-2004, 04:31 PM

I had a "No bending -- no lifting" for the first 30 days. I was able to climb one flight of stairs about a week after surgery. I would make a list when I needed things from there. I would suggest limiting those up and down trips as much as possible. I took my time when I was on them.

Most of the first few weeks, I wore a nightgown and robe, or large dresses that a friend let me borrow. I went without undergarments for about a week, but wanted to "dress up" for Thanksgiving. I had an abdominal binder which I feel was a lifesaver.

I didn't need any assistance in showering, going to the bathroom, etc.

Good luck!

SusieQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2004, 07:02 PM

I could bend over after surgery, but very carefully and only once in a while. I can bend over fine now, but, oddly, stretching to reach something bothers me more than anything, and as I am just over five feet tall, I do that a lot! Stairs were fine, as long as I took them slowly and only did them once or twice a day.

I wore hospital gowns in the hospital (pj pants won't work--too difficult to navigate) and just brought my robe for when I was walking the halls. Once out, though, I wore loose nightgowns (knee length) and loose dresses. Now, 16 or so days post op I can wear my jeans just fine, but they do tend to get tight at night around the belly. I wore sweats and a t-shirt to the hospital, and was glad I had the sweats to go home in, as they were all I could fit into!
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:05 PM

That is awesome that you could wear your jeans 16 days post op
I have been living in mine the past couple of weeks thinking I would not be able to get into them for a while I hope I will get in them again soon 16 days would be great!!!!!!! Thanks for the info
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Bending is generally no good for the first few days, but do-able. I have had some back problems on and off and mostly use my knees to go up/down. I had to keep reminding DH for those first couple of days that anything on the floor, stays on the floor because I can't pick it up.

I was able, with delicate and precise motions, to slip in/out of pajama bottoms. As for panties, I didn't bother buying new or otherwise, I used the mesh stretch ones provided by the hospital. They even sent me home with a few.

It's only rough for about the first three days, then you gain a little more mobility, don't sweat it too much. Be patient with yourself and how slowly you'll be moving, each day is much better than the last, by leaps and bounds!!

Good luck to you!
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:19 PM

Hi Sail On

My surgery is the same day as yours... so I can't say for sure, but my doc said I can go up stairs... but I have a bed set up downstairs just in case.

I did go get some granny panties.. two sizes bigger. I have my DH sweats to wear, so I know they'll be comfy.

I'm thinking that I'm just going to wear the hospital gown and bring my own robe.

Good Luck
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:39 PM

hmmmm i was not in the hospital long enough to worry about special jammies, i did wear my old navy drawstring pants in and a baggy t-shirt so i knew i had something comfortable to wear home. i am living in various drawstring pants, they are much more comfortable, i have not even tried anything else. i could bed over although iwould not recommend doing it on a regular basis, it does not feel good, and i kind of walk hunched back, i have not figured out if i am just afraid to stand straight or the incisions will not allow me to! i did make DH stand in the bathroom while i showered because i was nervous about being on feet that long and if i would be able to stretch to wash, he did have to help with the hair, i did not get all of the soap out, i guess i got tired and quit, but i would have been able to do it on my own. i think he just wanted to be able to say he helped...lol. it is so sweet when they want to pamper us, although i am not used to it, he is military and usually not here when somehting major happens. i would take minimum to hospital, wear home what you wear in, take chapstick and hard candies just incase, i have read many women having dry mouth from the tubes, i did not but they are light! definately a robe, or if you canot find one (some have entioned wrond season to find them) use a second gown turned backwards. i took slippers only because my mother bought me apair, i hate them, i was planning to use my sandals! my hospital gave me slipper socks too, uglybrown, but non skid which was great for that first bathrom trip! hmmmmm what else?? get lots of sleep!! i am still sleeping alot...lol! oh the stairs, you will probably be able to do them but i would not recommend it alot, we have 3 leading to the garage, and i sit out there to pretend to be outside since it is raining, and they make my legs sore some. i ditched the underware after an hour to! they were uncomfortable!!
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:55 PM

my tah isn't until the 26 but in 98 i had the same cut for ovarian ca w/ surgical staging. i specifically remember not feeling comfortable standing up straight, too many stairs were too tiring. also getting out of bed (from flat on back) was difficult. i actually got stuck and my sis-in-law had to help me roll. i think the trick is to not try to sit up (abs are weak) but kind of roll out of bed. as for getting help around the house- remember that you are the queen, sleep when you feel like sleeping, and let stuff around the house go...it's not going anywhere. AND, laughing is good for you but it hurts like heck! best of luck to you and all. also check out an article in the archives entitled (i think) _What I did right_ i found some very interesting tips that i plan to use.
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:03 PM

Wow you guys are great! Thanks for all the advice! How about hair loss, did any of you guys experience a significant hair loss from either the anesthesia or hormone upset? A lady at work told me she went almost bald. AHHH Seriously, it could be worse, just curious.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register