Cervical cancer stage 1A2, afraid of recommended radiation - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical cancer stage 1A2, afraid of recommended radiation Cervical cancer stage 1A2, afraid of recommended radiation

Unread 04-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Lawsuit

I agree - with Moekay,
I think a second opinion is needed. Radiation is not something you want to put your body through it you don't need it.

It seems that when I got my second opinion in favor of radiation that they were recommending it because of risk factors that they think could be eliminated by radiation.

However - if there is no lymphvasular invasion and if the tumor is less the 5mm of in vasion , I would question if I really needed it.

When I was told that I needed radiation, I called my surgeon/gyny onc. to ask him why he was not recommending radiation. Can you believe after 3 messages and a fax that he never called me back. When I talked with the nurse she said that
the doctor would not go back on his decision and that if it made me feel better to have radiation then go ahead - Can you believe that for a medical answer.

Some doctors are just so scared of a lawsuit.

Katherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Very true about DR's

This is so sad to say, but yes, DR's are pertrified of lawsuits.

Since this ordeal has started, just for that reason, I am no longer with the DR that recommended chemo & radiaton.

I want a Dr that is more concerned about MY health than HIS malpractice payments!

K8, when in doubt, go get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion!
Unread 04-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Cervical cancer stage 1A2, afraid of recommended radiation

Thanks everyone,
Your advice has been really inspiring, especially in the sex department. I guess the question really is, what constitutes deep invasion? Mine is exactly 5 mm. In one study, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409854
"high risk" cervical cancer patients were divided into two groups, one receiving adjuvant radiotherapy and one receiveing chemotherapy after hysterectomy. They had the same survival rates: about 83%. But in the the chemotherapy group, 85 out of a hundred women had pelvic recurrences. That's just one study and I don't know all the details about their conditions. My doctor is giving me the most aggressive treatment possible. It's hard to believe I need it in stage 1A2. 6 rounds of chemo! My long term memory seems to have permanently evacuated.
-Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2004, 08:44 PM

Kate,
I think that 6 rounds of chemo, while getting radiation, is the standard protocol for cervical cancer. That's what I had, and it seems to be what most other cervical cancer patients had too. It really isn't as horrible as it sounds. I had a little more fatigue, toward the end, but I basically did everything that I always do. I didn't lose any hair.

I read the study. Thanks for the link. But I don't see where it says that 85 out of 100 women treated with chemo have recurrences. That would be extraordinarily high rate of recurrence, 85%! even for very high risk cases.

What are your concerns about having chemo? Is it worth the risk and worry not to have it?

I am not sure what constitutes 'deep' involvement, but I think it's any cancer that can't be cured with a Leep procedure.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Janie
Unread 04-18-2004, 09:20 PM

It does seem to be fairly typical to receive cisplatin while having radiation for cervical cancer. The cisplatin "sensitizes" the cells to the radiation so that they are "killed off" more easily. As a general rule, cervical cancer is not typically treated with chemo only (however, I know nothing of neuroendocrine cancer, and that could be one that benefits from chemo). Talk to your oncologist and radiation oncologist with any questions or concerns you might have. You might also like to request a second opinion from a different onc. Sometimes it's nice to get more than one opinion--even if the opinions turn out to be the same.

Good luck with your decisions!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register