rectocele surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele surgery rectocele surgery

Unread 04-15-2004, 01:51 AM
rectocele surgery

Just over a year after my hyst and I am waiting again for a surgery date to repair a rectocele which has been causing increasing problems over the last few months. It is driving me mad because everyone keeps saying to me " you will have to do as you are told this time and rest properly" The inference being that I didn't after my hyst!
Well I thought I did, its not easy with a large family but I really tried. Is this my fault, is it a waste of time having the repair done in case I don't rest properly? What sort of recovery time is realistic and how long before I should be back to normal?
Sorry for all the questions but right now I need some help and encouragement!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
rectocele surgery

Amandarose:

You know what to do with those well meaning comments? I encourage you to respond, "I am glad you understand that I will need to rest and you know I have a large family to take care of. I will need all the help I can get." You should get some well deserved offers of help from that.

Please, let your friends and family help you. You only have one chance to heal properly.

Take care of YOU or you sure won't be able to take care of your family!!!!

Lots of s
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
rectocele surgery

hi.. welcome from a fellow uk person... i had exactly the same problem as you.... i had a tvh/b.repair last feb and have just had a rectocele repair 4 weeks ago... several people have said make sure you rest this time!!! i want to scream at them.. one for their ignorance and two for having the cheek to say it to me.... i did everything right the first time and am doing the same this time.. am recovering slowly but each day is better... i have not really had any pain but have felt really tired and my tummy has felt tender... no gas and can sit fine.. so don't worry too much about the op.. this is obviously my own experience... i wish you well.. mary.. xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 07:58 PM
rectocele surgery

Oh (((AmandaRose)))) I'm so sorry that, not only are facing another surgery, you're also having to deal with your "friends"' and relatives' hurtful comments

I had a rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst, so it's hard to tell which part of the recovery was specific to the rectocele. However, I do know that the episiotomy-like incision was as a result of the repairs.

I did have some pain from the episiotomy-like incision, initially, but it was easily managed with Extra-Strength Tylenol from the 3rd day post-op. Sitting was painful for quite some time, so it will be a good idea to ask for a donut to sit on in order to relieve the strain on the external stiches. A peri-bottle also proved to be a life-saver for me, when filled with warm water.

I know that the extended lifting and straining restrictions were in order to protect the repairs. In my case, those restrictions are permanent. Please be sure to ask your doctor about this, as this is one of the keys to avoid further prolapses.

One thing you may want to ask your doctor about is the possibility of starting Pelvic Therapy when the "nothing in the vagina" rule is lifted. This is a great way to strengthten your pelvic floor in order to avoid further prolapses and in order to avoid such unpleasantness as incontinence.

Please take care and don't worry to much. And do use these opportunities to remind your "well-meaning" friends that, in order to both take care of your large family and rest as required, you'll need all the help they can spare. And that will be for longer than just a few days
Unread 04-16-2004, 01:11 AM
rectocele surgery

Thanks for your comments. I shall certainly be doing as you all suggest and enlisting extra help from everyone.

Teenyween, how long were you in hospital for?

Thanks again for support, this sight and the people I met through it got me through my hyst and it is good to know you are there again for me now

Amanda Rose
Unread 04-16-2004, 05:42 AM
rectocele surgery

hi amanda rose.... i was in hospital two nights... i would also like to say that i had no external stitches... everyone is different but thought i would just let you know.... take care.. mary. xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register