rectocele repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele repair rectocele repair

Unread 04-17-2004, 07:01 PM
rectocele repair

Did any of you sisters who had a rectocele repair find your symptoms completely relieved after surgery? I've read where some people say the surgery didn't help that much. I'm one of those who has to do the splinting at times to get the bowel movement to come out. Lately I've done more fiber and that has stopped some of that. But at times there is still pressure when my bowels move. I'm hoping the repair fixes that completely and I can feel normal there again. Maybe just getting the huge uterus off of everything will help too.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2004, 08:09 PM
rectocele repair

Hi Debbie,

I had a cystocele and a rectocele repair at the same time as my hyst, too. After I was healed (and that can take a few weeks) I really noticed a big difference. I found it very helpful to have a "donut" pillow to sit on (I wish I had had it for the car ride home). If your repair work is done similar to mine, you'll have an episiotomy-like incision which is very uncomfortable to put any pressure on for several weeks. I even carried my "donut" to work with me when I returned at 5 1/2 weeks post-op.

It's important to not become constipated afterward, and a lot of pain meds are constipating. I used an over-the-counter product, but not until I had already become constipated. Be sure to ask your doctor what kind of stool softener he recommends for you.

I hope that you'll find a big difference after your surgery, too. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

S
Unread 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM
RE:rectocele repair

Hi Karen,
Your reply was so helpful to me. I have no idea what I'm up against , just only from reading a book about incontinence and rectal problems. I broke my tailbone a few years back and had to sit on one of those rubber donuts for a long time. I still have it so I'll have to blow it up a little more and use it on the ride home from the hospital. I thought I would probably have to take some stool softeners as well. Did you also do any sitz baths after the surgery or was that not allowed?
Thank you so much. I do believe in prayer changing things and thank you for your prayers.
My best wishes to you and prayers as well,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2004, 11:40 PM
rectocele repair

I had the rectocele repair on the 5th during my tvh. I didn't have the episiotomy-like incision, so I lucked out there. I do spend some time on my donut or just lean to one side or the other while sitting. I was told only showers no baths but all Dr. are different.

I was doing fine at first but got constipated today...
Don't let that happen! I took a day off from the fruit and juice and it just happened in one day. I can only handle so much fruit but I guess it's back on the menu.

My repair did work, how nice to be normal again.

Good luck to you on your up coming surgery.
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:07 AM
rectocele repair

Hi misa,
Thanks for your reply. I need all the help I can get. I got my donut out and ready to bring home with me. I'm not sure what kind of incision my doc will be using. I've had 2 episiotomies in the past and they weren't too bad for me. Guess that and forceps and 9 pounders helped me to get where I am. Oh well, wouldn't change it if I could. All of the advice I've gotten from here has made me feel I will be better prepared. I'm figuring God must have meant for me to find all of you. It's so nice to have a connection with so many nice ladies all over the world and the United States.
Hugs and prayers,
Debbie
Unread 04-18-2004, 08:15 AM
rectocele repair

((( Debbie )))

I didn't take any sitz baths, but then, I didn't think to ask the doctor if I could have. You might also ask if you can use a Peri bottle to let warm water run over the area - I used Tucks medicated pads, which helped alot. I'm glad you still have your "donut"!! I hope you won't need it, but it's good to be prepared, just in case.

((( misa )))

I'm awfully sorry that you got constipated today - I hope adding some fruit back to your diet will help, but if not, be sure to talk to your doctor about a stool softener. I'm glad that your recovery has gone well.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register