lymphedema | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-19-2004, 07:58 PM
lymphedema

I go to 3 appts. at the hospital on Wed 21st( ultrasound to rule out blood clot, Interventional Radiology to check tube, follow-up appt. w/radiation people), then to the lymphedema clinic on Thurs. 22nd.

sorry I haven't been around much. just keeping my feet up, blogging now, and extra-tired.
Love,
empresse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
lymphedema

Hi empress,
Best wishes to you on your appt.'s this week. Sounds like a lot to handle in one day. But, I know you will hang in there.

Hey, I'm a blogger too! Isn't that a song?

I'm a blogger, your a blogger, she's a blogger too! Be a blogger, write like a blogger!

I'm such a goof! But at least I didn't write booger!
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
lymphedema

Sounds like you've got a busy day on Wednesday (and Thursday, too), Empresse. Hope all goes well with your various appointments. Check in soon and let us know how you're doing.

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 10:58 AM
lymphedema

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmac35
Hi empress,
Best wishes to you on your appt.'s this week. Sounds like a lot to handle in one day. But, I know you will hang in there.

Hey, I'm a blogger too! Isn't that a song?

I'm a blogger, your a blogger, she's a blogger too! Be a blogger, write like a blogger!

I'm such a goof! But at least I didn't write booger!
I put too many images in and it erased my whole post. Boo.

I will go visit your blog! ***edit -- I just found it. duh. ***end edit*** (**edit ** where is it? I can't find it? Did you cut/paste into the new format yet? ** end edit **)

Dear Maureenie,
The Thursday appt. at the clinic has been moved to the following Monday. Apparently there are several of these clinics in the area, and this one will be less driving time. So it's worth the wait.

I'll update Wed. or Thurs. after my Wed. appts, depending on my energy level.

Thanks for your continued care for me! It's great to have 'sisters' like you, and so many of you here!

(the original post said something rather eloquent but I can't remember what it was now.)

Lots of love,
=empresse
Unread 04-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Lymphedema too

I too, have been diagnoised with this. I started treatment last week and will get into it fully this week

I pray that you begin to feel better. Please let me know if you have any questions, as I have been finding lots of good info

Take care sweetie
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:33 PM
what happened wednesday

Well a friend of ours drove me to what was supposed to be 3 appts wed. The first one was to "rule out" a blood clot; since the doctor waited a week to test for it, I was pretty sure that she was pretty sure that I didn't have one. But I do. So they sent me over to admitting and I missed the other 2 appts.

Today they took me to interventional radiology -- MY TUBE/BAG is GONE! Yay! This should make the nerve pain in my leg go away (but it hasn't yet...) and I ought to be out of the wheelchair and walking soon. "Cletus" the trusty cane helped me upstairs tonight with DH on the other side, and then he had the wheelchair awaiting me at the top of the stairs.

I'l have to reschedule the follow-up radiation appt. and I will be keeping Monday's lymphedema clinic appt. There is a chance I have both a blood clot and lymphedema. So I will know more on Monday.

Meanwhile I am at home! Yay! Check my journal sometime tomorrow or the next day for reasons why I am so glad to be out of the castle. I only put up a brief update tonight which has none of that listed.

So here at home I will be giving myself shots of a blood thinner, into my tummy, and taking Coumadin. When the Coumadin levels are where they want them in my blood, I can stop the shots. Home health care will come and monitor my blood twice a week.

And now I join DH in our very own bed. A tall glass of water by my side. Wheelchair awaiting me if I need a quick trip to the bathroom. Life is good now!

Lots of love to you all,
"empresse"
Unread 04-23-2004, 12:08 PM
lymphedema

Hi there!

I don't get on much any more, but saw that the "doppler people" (I'm one of "those guys") DID find a blood clot -- in a vein, or in an artery? And is it the same leg that's giving you so much pain?

Hooray!!! that the tube is finally out. Nerve pain, however, is a funny thing; I know, I've had it on and off for two years with bad cervical discs. Sometimes, it's self-perpetuating; even when the reason for it is done, it takes time to ratchet down the levels of self-stimulation that the nerves go through. They can't just turn it off overnight .

Gotta head off to my repeat Pap smear, with fingers crossed! So sorry about the Coumadin; I hope they sent you home with a list of vitamin K-containing foods? Besides green leafies, there's a couple of surprises on that list: soy preparations (particularly soybean oil, so ubiquitous in prepared foods) and green tea of all things . That's one I would have a hard time giving up, personally!

Glad to hear you're out of the Castle once again; don't you wish they gave out frequent flyer miles, good for "real" food or backrubs or even just help with a shower or something???

Big s,

Audrey
Unread 04-23-2004, 12:21 PM
lymphedema

Empresse,

So glad the tube's gone....may the rest of your appts go well.

I'm so happy that you're a blogger!! I'm sure that reading your accounts will help lots of women.

Take it easy...and remembering that pampering isn't against the rules--it's one of the rules!!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:57 PM
lymphedema

How wonderful the tube is gone and you are at home - nothing better than home to regain strength.

Let us know how Monday's appoint goes and do rest and take care of yourself over the weekend.

Wishing you lots of strength!!!

Sending you
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Monday lymphedema clinic update

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey S.
"... the "doppler people" (I'm one of "those guys") DID find a blood clot -- in a vein, or in an artery?" artery ("dvt")
"And is it the same leg that's giving you so much pain?" yes

"Hooray!!! that the tube is finally out." YES!! And it doesn't look like the scar will be too awful, either. Surprising, with all the times they changed those tubes.

"Nerve pain, however, is a funny thing; I know, I've had it on and off for two years with bad cervical discs. Sometimes, it's self-perpetuating; even when the reason for it is done, it takes time to ratchet down the levels of self-stimulation that the nerves go through. They can't just turn it off overnight . " Well I surely hope it starts to 'ratchet down' soon! I thought it would be more immediate... sigh.

"Gotta head off to my repeat Pap smear, with fingers crossed!" My fingers are crossed for you! Hoping the results are nice and Normal!

"So sorry about the Coumadin; I hope they sent you home with a list of vitamin K-containing foods?" NO they did NOT. Luckily I am the type who reads the info from the pharmacy.

"Besides green leafies, there's a couple of surprises on that list: soy preparations (particularly soybean oil, so ubiquitous in prepared foods) and green tea of all things . That's one I would have a hard time giving up, personally!" The whole list is hard for me. I didn't know about soybean oil! I LOVE my green leafies and broccoli and all the 'K' foods. Big Sigh.

"Glad to hear you're out of the Castle once again; don't you wish they gave out frequent flyer miles, good for "real" food or backrubs or even just help with a shower or something???" Good Idea!

Big s,

Audrey
Thanks! And thanks to all of you who have replied!

Well, apparently a person can have a blood clot and lymphedema too. Sigh. We're starting me off with bicycle shorts! for compression, until the clinician/therapist can talk with the oncologist's nurse (and possibly the covering doc as well.) She decided not to wrap me because of the blood clot. Just breathing exercises, putting a tiny bit of weight on the "bad" leg once a day for the count of five, and the bicycle shorts.

I'm exhausted. Just wanted to update as promised. Will do journal later. Need a bite to eat and a nap with leg elevated.

Thanks again, everyone!
=empresse

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register