lymphedema - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-26-2004, 11:50 PM
lymphedema

Quote:
artery (DVT)
OK, so it's not a direct quote, but it's been a looong day for me too.

"DVT" stands for "Deep Vein Thromobosis;" it sounds like it's in one of the large veins in the body, rather than an artery. Not that any of it is any fun ! However, DVT may not be due to clotting problems, particularly given your recent history; this is good news because it means you may be able, at some point, to get off Coumadin and go back to dark greens and green tea.

Soybean oil is in things like mayonnaise and other commercially prepared products (I think a couple of the Paul Newman salad dressings also use it). What was a shock to me was the fact that soy and green tea had SO much more vitamin K in them than the veggies! I have a lot of patients on Coumadin, and in our office we have a sheet listing some of the vitamin K contents; as it happens, I was researching it for a friend who, like you, had been told nothing about what precautions to take with warfarin OR Lovenox .

Hope that with dissolution of the blood clot, that your pain level eases downward. Compression wouldn't help a whole lot at this point; it's so hard to separate out the clot from the edema yet. Today I had on my compression stockings -- luckily indoors, it was over 100 degrees out! Now I just have to do the same as you did: off to bed with elevated feet...

Big s and thanks for the update!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 04:19 AM
lymphedema

Empresse
I have been on Coumadin for over 2 years because of DVT''s twice and PE. (I have also been a nurse for 30+ years).

It is very important to follow the advice, orders, including dietary restrictions, of your health care provider.

Do not take medical advice on Coumadin from anyone on the internet. This is a warning, you do not know the qualifications of faceless people on the internet. Coumadin is very fragile and needs to be personally adjusted to your lifestyle. And only your health care provider can do that.

Hystersisters is a great support resource on the internet. Do not follow any medical advice from it no matter how well intentioned.

I feel very strongly about this.

Thanks for listening.

Ruth S
Unread 04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
lymphedema

Dear Ruth,
Thanks for your concern ("It is very important to follow the advice, orders, including dietary restrictions, of your health care provider.

Do not take medical advice on Coumadin from anyone on the internet. This is a warning, you do not know the qualifications of faceless people on the internet. Coumadin is very fragile and needs to be personally adjusted to your lifestyle. And only your health care provider can do that.")

I just want to assure you that I am taking the Coumadin (Warfarin, actually) as directed, and to let you know that I am putting a call in to my oncologist's nurse to ask her specifically about dietary restrictions. The way my health care has been handled in the hospital the last few visits, with my oncologist first out of town and now on medical leave, I have had a variety of residents and fellows -- from two different departments -- giving me either not enough info or conflicting info. And so I learned about all the Warfarin precautions from the printout from my pharmacist, and nothing at all from the people at the hospital.

Don't worry -- I would certainly not stop taking the blood thinners or add in anything to my regular diet just from what someone might say here on hystersisters! Thanks again for your concern.
=empresse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 09:00 AM
lymphedema

Dear Audrey,
  Quote:
Hope that with dissolution of the blood clot, that your pain level eases downward.
OH I fervently hope this too! My friend is going to get me the bike shorts later today, and I'm putting in a call to my oncologist's nurse about the dietary restrictions along with some other questions. Also, I'm making an appointment with my family doctor to address the nerve pain and the medications. She will consult with my oncologist's nurse (who in turn will talk to whomever is covering for my oncologist) so that everyone is "on the same page" here.

This whole thing has been so horribly confusing, starting back with when they first put the first drainage tube into the first lymphocele. And "Dr. Hu-Cares," and the department he is in, not listening to me, pooh-poohing infection so that I wound up right back in the hospital days later. It's been a nightmare. I could just cry -- and I often do, these days.

Man, what hot weather you've been having! Now I understand how those little old ladies hobble around with sweaters on in 110-degree weather -- they are probably all on blood thinners!

Well, it's time to start my phone calls.
Lots of love,
=empresse

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register